“Lots of nice ammenities but some signs of wear” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #39 of 64 Hotels in Madison
West Lafayette, IN
“Lots of nice ammenities but some signs of wear”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Let me start off by saying that I simply needed an affordable place to stay a few nights around Madison. I won this hotel with a $50/night Priceline bid for my Thursday through Sunday stay on a non-home football game weekend. I needed a place to lay my head at night and this hotel fit that bill nicely.

As for the positives, the room I was assigned (King Leisure, I believe) was spacious with seperate sitting area with its own TV, a mini-fridge, a microwave, and a sink. Throw in free wifi and free parking, and this hotel offered just about anything I needed for my extended weekend.

The negatives were small, but worth pointing out. They may have been limited to my room, but I find that doubtful. The plubming was extremely loud, and there would be loud flowing water sounds as if the stool were flushing (but it was not). I never figured out if this was from the above floors or just a function of the plumbing (it seemed to happen at regular intervals). In the bedroom area, the wallpaper was starting to peel away from the wall at the ceiling level. The included desk had a handle that was unscrewed and falling off. The coffee pot lid was broken off and did not seem to match the coffee pot itself. As I said, none of these were horrible problems (or worth moving/compalining about), but they were noticable and makes me wonder about the upkeep of the property.

I'll mention this seperately ... the hotel seems to take pride in its pool area with a small waterpark. It is obviously kid-centric, but this pretty much made it unusable to adults over the weekend. Even the hot tub (which was quite warm) was at times filled with children. Again, I'm sure this is a fun area for kids, but not really a place for adults unless you want to go at off times (daytime during the week). There were lifeguards on duty, and they seemed pleasant and helpful in a few brief interactions. Perhaps because of the waterpark (or not), there also seemed to be quite a few child guests who could be heard continuously running (thumping) through the hallways.

Reading through my review, it comes off perhaps a bit more negative than I intended. This is a fine establishment with some fraying around the edges that could easily be corrected. It seems to be more kid-centric (at least on the weekends), so keep that in mind if you are looking for a place to stay.

Room Tip: Ground floor is closer to the pool area.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerps, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West. We are happy you enjoyed our spacious rooms with amenities including refrigerators, micorwaves, free internet access, on-site restaurant and lounge.

We appreciate you letting us know about your concerns with your room. Please contact the general manager at the hotel 608-826-0500 to discuss further, or to help you with future reservations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
La Crosse
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

We generally don’t look for rooms at the Holiday Inn, but the rate was right so we couldn’t resist. This is a very nice Holiday in. The lobby and bar area are nicely appointed and the desk staff was very friendly. The first thing that we noticed was that from the door to the elevator to the room, everything was spotless. It was clear that cleanliness is a high priority here. The room was quite nice and the temperature controls worked well. An unusual treat was that the windows actually opened.
There were two LCD TV’s, one in the sitting area and one near the bed. The bathroom was clean and well lit, the shower worked well and was large, there was no tub.
The only complaint about the room was the bed. While it might be fine for some, it was rather soft for our taste and the pillows were a bit firm.
The Pool area was very nice. There is a bar and an indoor waterslide. The hot tub was the perfect 104 degrees and clean. IT was also very large. I would guess that 15 people would be very comfortable. One unique feature for a hotel, there was a life guard on duty.
We did not dine at the hotel, but by all reports, the food it quite good.
I would recommend this location with no hesitation. It is clean and conveniently located in what appears to be a safe business park setting and has a well-lit parking lot. We will certainly return.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West. The hotel is the perfect location whether you are traveling for business you pleasure.

The hotel offers spacious guest rooms, on-site restaurant George's Chophouse & Lounge to relax after a long day of travel or business. If you are traveling with your family enjoy Madison's only indoor waterpark - Crawdaddy Cove.

Close to shopping and family attractions.
Thank you again - Hope to see you again soon.

Grand Rapids
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We took our kids,3 and 5, here on the way to the cottage. The hotel was in really nice shape and the water park was fun. It was staffed by two life guards. They were certainly not on top of things like the life guards at Great Wolf Lodge. But, they were good. A smaller water park. One big pool that the water slide dumps into, basketball hoops, and some open swimming. The kids were not as interested in the pirate boat splash park as I had hoped but, I did manage to contain them there for a while. We ordered pizza from the restaurant. It was like $20 for a plain pepperoni pizza. Also, they brought us no plates, napkins, or silverware. but, the pizza was decent. Nothing to write home about but it was ok.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
The Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West - is the home of Madison's only Indoor Waterpark Crawdaddy Cove - it is the perfect waterpark to bring your children ages 3-5. Parents can play with their small children in our 0-depth boat area with aligator slides.

We appreciate your feedback on your room service order of pizza - taking the time to let us know about it gives us the opportunity to do a better job next time. Please contact the General Manager of the hotel 608-826-0500 if you would like to discuss it further, or to help you with future reservations at this great Madison location for your family fun getaway

Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Clean rooms
Slight blip with lazy housekeeping but remedied expediently
Halls very warm due to water park
Our eyes and nose are burning a bit with this "pool access" room
Might be better in a room not adjacent water park

• Stayed August 2011
GeneralManagerps, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
The Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West home of Crawdaddy Cove waterpark is a great getaway for family fun. The hotel offers easy access to the waterpark with poolside rooms. Guest's can enjoy overlooking the pool area from their balcony.

We do offer other room types that also give you easy access to the waterpark, that would not be pool side. I am sorry that you were having a problem with your eyes buring.
Please contact me next time you are coming back to our area. I would be happy to help you with your future reservations, so you can give us another try while visiting Madison with your family.

Pam Sanderson
608-203-4700
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on our way from Minneapolis to Detroit. We booked when we were just a couple hours away, but were pleasantly surprised. The rooms were nice, the beds were comfortable and the kids enjoyed swimming. The waterpark was more like a mini-waterpark. If you have older kids, they will NOT be impressed and barely amused. We ate at the hotel restaurant and it was excellent. Great hotel for a quick stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
The Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West features Crawdaddy Cove Waterpark. The perfect getaway for your children of any ages. The waterpark offers a 0 depth boat area for your toddlers to have fun just sitting in the water or going down one on the small alligator slides.
Our 50' waterslide is great for any age - including adults. All though the waterpark is not as large as most waterparks, it is the perfect location for a fun getaway.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. If I can be of further assistance, please contact me at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites

Pam Sanderson
Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed overnight with our children last weekend as a getaway from the massive heat that was hitting our area. We were looking forward to a comfortable room and fun in the awesome pool/waterpark that we've enjoyed so many other times we've stayed here. Problems this time began when calling to book the room. They wanted to charge $10 more for 2 adults vs. 1 adult in a room. WHAT?!? Rooms with a king or a queen are usually quoted at 2 adults. We've never paid $10 more for an adult in any chain. We hung up, called back, and were offered the rate we should have been quoted, and that included 2 adults. (The extra charge for adult was quoted by the front desk employee). Our room was overlooking the pool, which the kids enjoyed. What we adults didn't enjoy was the fact that we had to work with the air conditioning unit for half hour before we could figure it out. The knobs on the air/heat unit came completely off and the unit was so noisy that we didn't sleep much at all. Every time it kicked on it was loud. And trying to figure out how to regulate temp with knobs that fell off, we gave up. We put many items in the refrigerator and found out the next morning even though it was plugged in, it didn't work. So had to throw away about $40 worth of food. The swimming area was so hot, it was nearly unbearable unless you were in the pool. We are guessing the temp was 90-100 degrees. Understandable it would be warm, put THAT warm? We've been there several other times and it has never been that unbearable. Hot tub - sign states it stays around 104 degrees. More like 140 degrees. TOO HOT, you can only be in there for 5 minutes before you would pass out. There is an arcade for the kids - don't give them money. Only 3 out of the 10 or so machines they have there worked. So more money we lost. The crowning glory to our stay - little kid pooped in the pool. Not Holiday Inn's fault, but just par for the course on this stay. Pool was closed for hour and half to re-chlorinate and we sat in the 100 degree heat waiting. This is still a nice hotel, but for the money we spent, you expect your room to be top notch. Not this time. Our kids couldn't even stand the heat in the pool area so this was our farewell to this hotel. Very disappointed, Holiday Inn.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
GeneralManagerps, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience during your stay at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites home of Crawdaddy Cove Waterpark. We apologize for the temperature in the waterpark during your stay. It was a very warm weekend in Madison.

We are working with our staff to correct your reservation concerns and your hotel stay.

Please reach out to me at my email address - himadison@wischotels.com so I can further discuss your stay at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites to resolve your concerns so you can give the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites another try.

Lakeville, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

I have now stayed at this hotel three times in the past two months for business travel. I have not been able to stay here over the winter/spring months due to their rates falling above my expense guidelines. I am assuming I can get lower rates now due to the indoor water park "off season". This property entertains a large number of travelers from surrounding businesses that are in town for training. The hotel and their food service provider offer free beer, wine, and appetizers for priority club members at the lobby bar from 5-7 (Tuesday through Thursday evenings). This complimentary food and beverage perk is one of the best I have seen. Do not think about the free drink coupon at the old school smelly HI bar with bad food- the appetizers are quite good (fruit, wings, meatballs, cheese curds, veggies) for chafing dish food. The lobby bar is well done and provides an opportunity for the business travelers to swap "road" stories.

The effort that is demonstrated to the upkeep of this property is beyond "normal". Last month when I was here I witnessed the maintenance staff moving/replacing/adding mulch to all of the outside trees and shrubs in full uniform on the hottest, most humid day of the year. The staff always stopped and offered me (the guest) the right of way while moving the mulch around the property via wheel barrow. This is a large property! Last week when I stayed the staff was switching out the last of the tube televisions for HD flat screens. I was highly impressed with the care the staff took to insure the old televisions were treated with great care. I wondered why and asked.... They are donating all of the old tube televisions to goodwill so that the community is helped on a number of different levels. IMPRESSIVE!

The rooms are great. Extremely clean and the enclosed walk in shower is a great idea. Some of the suites are amazingly well thought out for space, amenities, and view. I would tend to agree with some reviewers that lighting can be tricky. I used to agree with a previous poster about the status of having to keep my room key in the recepticle to maintain full lighting and cooling. I now really think this establishment has a "green" mission statement that they actually try to live by. I now understand. Well done HI!

In my opinion, this property and the HI at American Parkway should be the blueprint of how all HI properties should be going forward.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West? Share your experiences!