“Not impressed.” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #48 of 63 Hotels in Madison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Tomahawk, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights. I pulled in and parked next to, what I'm assuming, was a broken down vehicle, that appeared to have been there for a while.(Lots of snow on the roof/surrounding areas) Check-in went fine, the lady at the desk told me my room was closest to door 2. I moved my vehicle closer to that door, to find that that area of the parking lot was all ice. I walked up to door 2, only to find that it was missing the door handle! I walked to the next closest door and found my room. The room smelled very heavily of smoke. The bed was comfortable and rather large, but the entire room was dimly lit. I slept fine, woke up, showered and left for the day. Upon returning, neither of my cards worked to open the exterior doors. I walked around to the front entrance and the person at the desk gave me new keys. I asked her how to get to my room from the lobby and she directed me to the total opposite side of the hotel. I had to walk through the un-shoveled courtyard to get to my room. Stayed the night and when I went to leave, I walked out the door to my vehicle and there was a pile of dog poop right in the parking lot. The room was ok, besides the smoke smell, but the rest of the hotel was a nightmare. I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kyle M, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel. Although this is an older property, we are continually making improvements on the overall appearance of the hotel. We do take pride in cleanliness and our friendly staff. Please accept this as an apology and we hope your experience doesn't deter you from staying at Howard Johnson Plaza in the future.

Warmest Reguards,
The Staff at the Howard Johnson Plaza
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I came here to weather a snowstorm. My room was nice and warm when I arrived. Everything had the old and worn out look. The non-smoking room smelled of smoke. My rest was fine until 5 am when it started smelling like there was a ghost smoking right next to me. If you are not a smoker stay away from this place. Yuck!

• Stayed February 2013
Kyle M, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, February 5, 2013

Warmest Reguards,
The Staff at the Howard Johnson Plaza
LANCASTER
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Had a very pleasent stay from beginning to end. Check in went quickly and employee was very friendly. At breakfast, the employee talked with my son and I and even sang us a few songs. Recommend highly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Kyle M, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for your kind review, we take pride in the customer service we are able to give to our guests, I will also pass along the positive feedback to Mike as well with our front desk staff! They will be thrilled to hear! We hope to see you back real soon!

warmest regards!
The staff at the Howard Johnson Plaza

Been to Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison

Address: 3841 East Washington Avenue, Madison, WI 53704
Location: United States > Wisconsin > Madison
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #48 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison 2.5*
Come and stay at our Madison Wisconsin Hotel the Howard Johnson Plaza.The hotel is located next to the Dane County Regional Airport, adjacent to East Towne Mall and near downtown Madison and all of Madison Wisconsin’s area attractions. The hotel is also only minutes away from Madison’s Central Business district, governmental offices and the University of Wisconsin. Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel features modern accommodations and convenient services with the largest indoor swimming pool in the Madison area, free Internet access, complimentary hot breakfast buffet, a 24 hour Airport Shuttle and lowest room rate guarantees are just few of the other perks you can enjoy as our guest at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Wyndham, Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity and Tingo so you can book your Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Howard Johnson Madison Hotel Madison
Madison Howard Johnson

If you own or manage Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Madison, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.