“Bait and switch on room” 2 of 5 stars

The Edgewater
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 Wisconsin Place, Madison, WI 53703   |
Ranked #9 of 64 Hotels in Madison
Midwest
“Bait and switch on room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Booked a lakeview room at the edgewater hotel in Madison, wi. I paid full price for this.

Room was not a lakeview room. When I called front desk and pointed out the discrepancy, there was no argument from their side.

Initially, she offered me a $14 waiver of some sort of fabricated fee they had. I told her that this was unacceptable, and she immediately offered to waive my $18 a day parking structure fee as well.

In the end, I was still disappointed. I appreciate that they attempted to make amends- but, I didn't make the 3.5 hr trip with hopes of saving 8% off the total for a view of a feats backyard instead.

As a result, I would NOT recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Our recent stay at the Edgewater Hotel during UW Madison graduation weekend was absolutely perfect. Our rooms were beautiul, not all had balconies but we did reserve one room with a spacious balcony and we especially enjoyed sitting out in the evening before and after dinner. Our dinner at the Statehouse was lovely and the food has significantly improved since February. I can not say enough wonderful things about the entire hotel staff, from reservations to check out our expectations were met if not exceeded.
We did a "test drive" of the hotel in February and were extremely satisfied but in the past few months the hotel has not only improved it is close to perfection!

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Hudson, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I had the wonderful privilege of staying here during a recent business trip to Madison. I had a couple of days in between meetings and had two colleagues recommend this hotel. With my AAA discount the rates were a little more reasonable. I had a beautiful, spacious room with a view of the lake. I enjoyed some in-room dining, used GrubHub one day and dined in the café another time. The pizza was magnificent! The service was outstanding. The décor is bordering on stunning. I loved everything about this place. For Madison, I did think $18/day to park my car was a little ridiculous, but the parking was very convenient to my room. I literally parked and walked through a door to my room. The rooms are well appointed with beautiful furnishings. I turned my chair to sit and take in the views and especially enjoyed watching the UW Rowing Team pass by each morning. Also, the crème brulee oatmeal and the coffee are pure perfection. Also, at checkout, Anastasia was very accommodating when I mentioned my AAA membership that I had forgotten at check-in. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Get a view of the lake...it was worth every penny.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I had the pleasure of staying in this classic, beautifully appointed hotel. What a view! Every room has a balcony with gorgeous views over the lake. The rooms are so luxurious. The service on site is first rate. My only issue is the registration policy. They charge you one full night's lodging plus taxes upon making your reservation. A little on the pricey side, but worth it, especially if you know how to tastefully negotiate.

Room Tip: The spa, business and fitness centers on the original side. Stayed on the newer side. Everything wa...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Jason S, Guest Relations Manager at The Edgewater, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Good Day TravelDiva411,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Edgewater. We confirm all reservations with a one night room and tax taken at the time of booking. This ensures your reservation and room type are guaranteed and we can prepare for your arrival. On your next travels to Madison, we would love to welcome you back to The Edgewater.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

As a UW Madison alum from the late 90s, I remembered this hotel as a tired old lady and never thought to stay there again until recently when I happened on a picture of it. I have stayed at every hotel in downtown Madison, and this is by far my new favorite. The new tower is absolutely gorgeous and the redo of the old tower was great. The location is a couple of blocks from the capital/state street, so it is perfectly situated without being right in the action. The lake/capital views are better than any other property. In addition, the staff is incredibly friendly. I will be staying here for all of my future visits to Madison.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Good Day NLCHI,

I'm thrilled to hear how enjoyable your time was at The Edgewater. The Management and staff are here to ensure your upmost satisfaction, with that said I'm glad we did. When your travels bring you to Madison, consider The Edgewater as your lodging accommodations.

Manchester, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Your welcome at The Edgewater begins at the hotel entrance, with a most attentive valet crew. We were greeted enthusiastically and escorted into the lobby to register. Registration was fast and again, very attentive. We had requested a premium lakeside view room, and it was very lovely. Well appointed and scrupulously clean. All was well until day 2 when we found that the coffee service had not been replenished....a big disappointment to two morning coffee drinkers. And our schedule didn't allow for a coffee purchase before our next reservation...which meant we were caffeine deprived the whole day. Other than this oversight, we can recommend this hotel to anyone willing to pay a premium for an excellent hotel experience.

Room Tip: Lake view is a must, especially if the weather permits a sunrise viewing.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Good Day Nancy C,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I do apologize about the coffee not being replenished; thank you for bringing that to my attention. On your next travels to Madison, consider The Edgewater as your lodging accommodations.

Margate, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

Luxurious hotel facing the water with an enchanting terrace, top notch restaurant, comfortable rooms and friendly staff. From top to bottom, this place is immaculate. Everything you would hope for in a hotel, top class!!!

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Good Day jwessma,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I'm glad you were able to Experience all The Edgewater has to offer. Relaxing on our terrace with food and drinks and watching the summer sun set over lake Mendota is a memorable experience that urns all to return. When your travels bring you back to Madison, we would love to welcome you back to the property.

Jason Slagle

Been to The Edgewater? Share your experiences!