“Weekend get away” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 64 Hotels in Madison
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Weekend get away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This is a wonderful property, all be it still completing renovations. A full resort in middle of Madison. Had a lake view, spent much of the time in nice chairs looking out window. Lovely view. Short walk to Capital, State St, dining and shopping.
We look forward to seeing the Boathouse on our next visit.

Two suggestions:
1- Pillows were very hard, offer a variety
2 - lights in bathroom were very bright and needed a dimmer. Be nice to have separate switches for vanity, shower, tub, etc.

Nicely restored Madison history.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed at the Edgewater during our trip to Madison to look at the University. The hotel made our stay there very enjoyable. With enough notice there is a black car that will pick you up at the airport and also shuttle you to your destinations around Madison. The room was beautiful with beautiful views. We were able to walk to campus in less than ten minutes and enjoyed lattes in the coffee lounge in the morning. Had a delicious meal sitting at the bar for lunch and when my son went to see friends at the University in the evening, I had a wonderful glass of wine at the bar while watching a litte March Madness. Everyone was helpful and friendly. If my son goes to UW, this hotel will be where we always stay when we visit.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Jason S, Guest Relations Manager at The Edgewater, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Good Day jan b,

Thank you for the Grand review. I'm thrilled to hear how you enjoyed your stay and was able to Experience The Edgewater. I do hope your son comes to UW so we can welcome you back as our guest again in the near future.

Highland Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend in Madison to attend a concert at a nearby theater. The hotel is incredibly upscale but very down to earth. We were warmly greeted and checkin was quick and easy. The hotel does have a spa including steam rooms and a small, spa-like pool. Walking to the capital shopping and dining areas from the hotel was easy, and the neighborhood is beautiful.

The hotel is right on the lake and is very romantic. Our room faced the lake, but even those without a lake view can sit on the huge terrace overlooking the water or dine in one of the restaurants that have great water views.

The room and bed were very comfy. The bathroom had a large vanity with upscale toiletries and a huge shower. Very nice.

We ate breakfast at the restaurant and our meal was terrific. The duck confit with roasted potatoes and eggs was stellar.

We will definitely return whenever we go to Madison!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Good Day Tanya W,

I'm thrilled to hear how you thoroughly enjoyed The Edgewater. We are here to ensure your complete satisfaction and with that said I'm glad we did. When your travels bring you back to Madison, We would love to welcome you back.

Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Renovating old hotels is no easy challenge. At the risk of over generalizing, room size and layout, mechanical systems, amenities, parking, closets, windows - you name it - the public simply had different expectations decades ago than they do now. In this case, The Edgewater, grande dame of hotels in Madison, Wisconsin from the 1940s until it's decline into disrepair in more recent years, has emerged better than ever, better than expected, and certainly has reclaimed its place as the best in class for Wisconsin's Capitol.

The scope of the renovation is impressive, if not daunting. All they had to do was scrape a major component of the old hotel, including all public spaces and a significant rooms component, build a brand new and architecturally pleasing tower with underground parking, replace all of the lobby, meeting and food and beverage spaces - while at the same time maintaining, gutting and refinishing the vintage "Langdon" building with an added spa amenity and "Sky Bar" venue for private parties. Wow. And it really works.

Lake Mendota is front and center almost everywhere you look from inside and out and history is paid its respects in a classy way. It's hard to find fault with public space or the room product for that manner. As we have stayed there twice now, once in the new building and once in the old, I would frankly take either (especially with a water view!).

Truthfully, as the hotel has not yet been re-opened for a year, there are operational bugs that relate to staffing levels, in particular in the food and beverage outlets, which I assume will also extend to catering. That being said, the friendly Midwestern staff - many who must be students or recent graduates - makes up for much of the hotel's growing in phase with eagerness and polite, pleasing, decidedly "un-snooty" demeanor. On our last day, waiting for a place, a young server, Derek, jumped in to provide service on the terrace which supposed to be closed and did a great job. Right on, Derek!

In the old days (dare I admit 30 years ago), as an undergrad at the University of Wisconsin, it was aspirational just to have drinks at The Edgewater. It had been THE place in Madison for decades. Today, thanks to a huge investment in this very special property, the old-new grande dame hotel for this fine city may be THE place again for decades to come. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Lake views!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Good Day Joseph B,

I want to thank you for leaving us such a wonderful review. The Edgewater has been a staple in Madison's history; with many guests making and reliving memories that they once created. The Edgewater is a grand new property with many amenities being added. I appreciate your kind words. When your travels bring you back to Madison, Id love to personally welcome you back to The Edgewater.

Omaha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

This is only a minor detail, but I will volunteer the information in case you may find it of use. We had a lakeview room on floor #2. The view of the lake was beautiful, but the shore area immediately below us still kind of looks like a construction site, strewn with plywood planks, and bare dirt. I recognize that this is a new hotel, and many things are still being perfected. Everything else about the room was fantastic, as was the view of the lake. This one aspect of the room view was the only thing that wasn't characteristic of the full luxury experience present everywhere else in the hotel. Hopefully that is helpful.

self-parking--$18

short walk to the capitol square/state street etc.

Room Tip: I probably would not recommend that you pay extra for a lakeview room on the lower levels.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Good Day Noah M,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Edgewater. I apologize about the "Dust". The shoreline is where we are adding many new amenities for our guests including a dock and the soon to open Boathouse. These amenities will allow our guests to relax upon the shores of Lake Mendota. When your travels bring you back to Madison, Id love to welcome you back.

Lehigh Valley, Pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel is lovely and the staff is very friendly. The Edgewater is conveniently located near UW Madison and within walking distance of downtown State Street, with many fun shops and restaurants. Unfortunately, our experience was less than great.

I booked my queen terrace room several months in advance and expected an upper-floor view of downtown and the lake. Before we arrived, I was contacted and asked if I wanted to upgrade to a king; as I had three people in my party, I declined. When I arrived, I was told that my queen terrace room was not available, and was given a "lakefront" room located in what was essentially a basement on the ground floor. The room itself was lovely, but it was dark, located on a deserted, gloomy hallway that was a trek from the lobby, and the "lake view" was essentially a ground-level view. This was not what I had hoped for, and certainly not a "better" room, as I had been told by the concierge (who was a very nice person).

When we checked in, there were a number of very affluent people in a large wedding party also checking in. It is my distinct impression that someone in that group was given the better room I had booked, and that I was downgraded because I was not quite as important as the very important people who were checking in ahead of me.

I understand that hotels overbook and that sometimes a room may become unavailable, but I specifically planned for a certain experience and view and was given a room that was not what I had asked for and was expecting. Without going into details, it was very important that this trip go off flawlessly, and this cast a real pall on our experience, especially given the very real impression I got that my room was sold to someone who was perceived to be more important than I was.

I am not sure that I will have an opportunity to be back in the Madison area anytime in the future, but I will probably not stay at the Edgewater. I left feeling not very well treated or welcome, and that is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for the room you want and be sure you get it confirmed - even though that probably wo...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Good Day Wendy O,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. The Management and Staff are here to ensure your complete satisfaction and I apologize that we fell short. Your room wasn't available at the time and wasn't given to anyone else; I apologize if you felt that way. Our rooms on the 1st to the 4th floors offer direct unobstructed views of Lake Mendota. When your travels bring you back to Madison, Please give me a call I would love to assist in making your reservations. 608-535-8219.

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This place is amazingly designed and tastefully decorated. Its gorgeous. All staff members we encountered were "over the top: as far as service. The lakeview room - pictures don't even do it justice!! Floor to ceiling windows with a view of the lake. Rooms are spacious with a Fridge. Heating/cooling system works fast!

We didnt dine here other than having a late nite dessert which was fantastic. The patio outsite the Statehouse (I think thats the name) has beautiful views!! Alot of outdoor seating.

Parking is underground and quite a ways underground but that was fine. I looked at the website today and was disappointed I didnt take more pictures, because they seem to be lacking on the site. The workout area and yoga studio - beautiful. Ellipticals have TVs and a view of the lake. The relaxation pool is more like a huge hot tub, and looked very inviting! Wish I had taken a pic to post. We were mad we didn't have our suits.

Location is great. Walking distance to alot of great dining places which is another bonus since parking is hard to find.

Our only complaint is all of the hidden fees. I went to reserve a room on their site before I posted this review. A $239 room quickly turns into $289 with all of the fees. The resort fee of $14 doesn't appear to be mentioned in the fees, though I am sure its included. Then there's a resort fee tax. My goodness!! And self parking is $18! I didnt see that mentioned either. That is not included in that total. We booked through Travelzoo for a great price, so we weren't complaining about the extra fees.

Beds are extremely comfy. Pillows were hard, and they dont provided any other variety of pillow. Just hard. I will just bring my own next time, no biggie.

We asked for a late checkout and were promptly accommodated.

Also the Sky Bar is listed on the directory. Could you please add - PRIVATE PARTIES ONLY. We were very excited when we saw this and asked how to get there and were told it was private.

All in all a great experience, and we hope to return (with a discounted room rate :) !!

Room Tip: Lakeview - floor three and higher.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Good Day cosmo930,

Thank you for the great review. The Edgewater management and Staff are here to ensure your complete satisfaction. Our additional fees are located on our website booking system as well as any of our 3rd party booking systems under Terms and Conditions. When your travels bring you back to Madison, Consider The Edgewater.

Jason Slagle

Been to The Edgewater? Share your experiences!