“Great property, missing some details” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Advance Purchase Special
Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Madison
MN
“Great property, missing some details”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Just spent two nights at the Edgewater in Madison with my wife. It is a beautiful property with some outstanding attributes, but there were a few drawbacks.

First the good stuff!
* Property is beautiful and well-maintained;
* Staff is incredibly accessible and helpful;
* Fantastic location;
* Lovely view of the (frozen) lake;
* The bar was delicious and a huge plate of cheese curds for >$5!
* Room was good sized;
* Bed was very comfortable

I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant nor did I go to any of the conference or fitness facilities.

The less good stuff:
* Our room was on the first floor; the hallways were very cold!
* The temperature in our room was difficult to control; it heated up slowly but cooled down quickly!
* The temperature in the bathroom was not good - consistently cold and uncomfortable.
* HVAC blows directly on you when it is on and you are in bed.
* No coffee maker in room; closest coffee was 5 floors away.
* Fitness facility in an entirely different building that you have to go outside to get to.

As my son is a first year student at UW-M I will almost certainly be back; but, I hope it is more comfortable when its not winter!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Jason S, Guest Relations Manager at The Edgewater, responded to this review, yesterday
Good Day PDC-Chris,

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay at The Edgewater. The rooms, Dining venues, and amenities we offer are top notch. With that said I do apologize about any HVAC inconveniences you may have encountered. Our Engineering Department has been notified.
The Edgewater Fitness Center is quite large and it is located in our Langdon Building; There is a tunnel underground which takes you from one building to another so you don't have to go outside. When your travels bring you back to Madison, consider The Edgewater as your lodging accommodations.

Jason Slagle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I booked a "Lakeview King" room for Saturday, February 21st for my husband and myself - as a belated birthday treat for him. Unfortunately, my husband was very ill that weekend so I called and rescheduled for the following weekend (we did Friday, February 27th instead). I was assured by the woman on the phone that the room would be "exactly the same" with a "view of the lake" like I had booked previously.

Unfortunately, when we checked in, our "lakeview" was actually a view of the apartments next door (there was a lovely scene of a man grilling steaks...yes, we were that close we could make out what he was cooking). If we craned our necks, clicked our hills, and spun around a few times, you might be able to call this a lakeview as you could barely see the lakeshore to the right side of the window. That was very disappointing, and I wouldn't have minded so much if I hadn't book a room in which I was expecting an actual lakeview. This room should not be called a lakeview at all!

The other issue I have with the room is that when I booked it, there was no way to know if the room would be in the new section of the hotel or the old section. Well, we were in the old section, and while it's been renovated very well (the bathroom was excellent...heated floors was a nice luxury), it would've been nice to have known which section we would be in.

Finally, if you choose to forgo valet and park in the underground parking yourself, there are not many signs directing guests where to go. This is fairly confusing - especially if you're in the old part of the hotel. We parked ourselves, and ended up walking for what seemed like forever to get to our section (in order to get from the new part of the hotel to the older section, one must walk down an indoor tunnel on floor 3). There should be signs that direct guests to an area of the parking garage for them to be closer to the older, Langdon building.

Overall, my experience was positive, but it was not what I was expecting - or had been lead to expect. I do not think the room we received was worth the $243.89 for one night that I paid. Before the renovations, my husband and I had stayed at The Edgewater twice - including our wedding night - and this hotel definitely holds a special place for us. I would love to stay again, but I would appreciate knowing what I was spending my money on first.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Jason S, Guest Relations Manager at The Edgewater, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Good Day Anna M.

Thank You for staying at The Edgewater. I apologize that you were not completely satisfied with the view you had. Our Lakeview rooms are offered in both the Original building, which is now called the Langdon building and the newly constructed building called the Wisconsin Building.
We do have unobstructed Lakeview rooms which view directly out to Lake Mendota. Anna M, when you need lodging accommodations in Madison, please contact me so I can personally set up your reservation.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed at the Edgewater while attending the State Wrestling Tournament at the Kohl Center in Madison. As soon as we pulled into the circle drive at the Edgewater, we were treated like royalty! Anything we needed was taken care of by staff.
Me and my sons used the relaxation pool and truly enjoyed not overheating after sitting it in it. Very calming. Beautiful views from the fitness center and our room. We got a view of the lake, the capital, and the ice skating rink. It was fun to watch the skaters - wish we would have had time to try it out.
Perfect walking distance to the Kohl Center!
I would recommend the hotel to everyone!

Room Tip: I think all rooms have beautiful lake views!
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Good Day Jodie G,

Thank You for the wonderful review. It's great to hear how you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at The Edgewater. Our rooms do offer spectacular views of the surrounding area; Including Lake Mendota, The Capital Building and the City of Madison. Jodie G when your travels bring you back to Madison, consider The Edgewater as your lodging accommodations. We would love to welcome you back to the property.

Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Edgewater is a very nice hotel with friendly staff and a beautiful setting. I stayed in a lake view corner room.The room was very comfortable and well furnished. It is very clean. The bed and bedding was very luxurious. The bathroom was outstanding. Big bathtub, large walk in shower. Well appointed.

I ordered room service on two nights of my stay. Both experiences were poor. Food was not good. Pizza was very dry and french onion soup was cold. Fries on second order were literally disgusting - hard, dry and foul tasting.

I ate in the restaurant once for dinner and once for breakfast, Both were very good experiences with excellent food.

No pool. There is a large hot tub style pool with warm (not hot) water . They call it a relaxing pool.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Jason S, Guest Relations Manager at The Edgewater, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Good Day PJOK03,

Thank you for staying at The Edgewater. I'm glad you enjoyed your room and the spectacular views our rooms offer. I do apologize about In room dining not being up to standard. Your comments will be shared with the Food and Beverage Manager.

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We booked a room for Valentine's weekend. The entire experience was beyond compare. We had a wonderful lakefront room. The hotel is new and rooms are beautifully decorated. We used the spa and relaxation pool. The temperature was below zero outside and 95 degrees in the pool. We were so relaxed. Then the breakfast and dinner in the Statehouse restaurant were great. Friendly service. Good food. Very romantic accommodations. What more can you want.

Good Day 53716Traveler,

Thank you for the great review. I'm thrilled you were able to Experience The Edgewater, and the many amenities that we offer. We hope on your next trip to Madison, you choose The Edgewater as your lodging accommodations.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Warm, friendly, and well-trained staff perfectly complimented this newly renovated historic landmark hotel located on Lake Mendota near the UW campus. Very much enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend to others. Facility is beautiful, with gorgeous views of both the lake and the Capitol building. Room was clean, spacious and very comfortable.
As nice as the facility is, what really stood out was the staff - everyone was genuinely friendly, welcoming and helpful. The bartenders were exceptional, offering everything from drink suggestions to reading glasses! as they were very tuned in to their guests. I watched as other guests came and went and I thought to myself there had been some exceptional customer service training provided here.
Go check this place out when staying in Madison, you won't be disappointed!

Good Day RJ53012,

Thank you for the exceptional review. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff and management are here to ensure your complete satisfaction and have an enjoyable time with the many amenities we offer. The next time your in Madison, Id love to welcome you back to The Edgewater.

Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Hotel rooms and grounds are beautiful and tastefully done, views of frozen lake were very nice. The hotel staff was wonderful and always willing to help. Our main disappointment was the
hotels "relaxation" pool. The water temperature was barely lukewarm, and the room even colder.
We tried it both Friday and Saturday hoping they had warmed it up, it was actually cooler the second time. They do have a steam room that helped take the chill off. Also, we would have enjoyed having coffee in room instead of going down to Starbucks. Shuttle stops running at 10:45pm which is quite early for any return service to hotel. Overall, beautiful hotel but should extend those services in the resort fee charges.

Room Tip: Wisconsin tower if using the bar/restaurant services. Langdon tower if planning to use workout and...
Good Day Darboymom,

Thank you for the review. I'm sorry our Relaxation Pool fell short of your expectations. The Relaxation Pool isn't a Jacuzzi; it is a jetted pool in which the temperature is set to be between 94 - 96 degrees, which is a better temperature to lounge in up to 30-45 minutes without overheating your body. It also is safe for children to seniors to those expecting. Our Café is open from 6am-4pm and proudly serves Starbucks products. Next time your travels bring you to Madison, consider The Edgewater as your lodging accommodations.

Jason Slagle

Been to The Edgewater? Share your experiences!