“Nightmare at the Edgewater!!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Breakfast by the Lake
Ranked #57 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Clinton, Connecticut
“Nightmare at the Edgewater!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I stayed there 9/11-9/14 with my wife and 7 year old son. We were shocked the moment that we pulled in. It was a construction zone. Workmen all over as we got out of the car. As we walked the into lobby the stair way was boarded up and smell of fresh paint and glue for the carpet. This place had nothing, No bar, No restaurants not a vending machine to get a bottle of water or ice. The Spa and Pool we not evan finished. I was impressed when I got a phone call a few days before from The Edgewater to confirm that we were arriving on Thursday and not a word from them stating the condition of the hotel.We thought we there for relaxing weekend at a 5 STAR resort and it was a nightmare on the lake

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Terri W, Manager at The Edgewater, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Hi - I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the problems you encountered during your stay. We genuinely regret the inconvenience caused to you because of the ongoing construction. During this soft opening period, we are staging the addition of many new amenities. And while we are excited about these additions, it does require the continuation of construction around the property.

Please feel free to reach me direct at 608.535.8223.

Terri Whealen, Executive Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The Edgewater was considered to Madison's landmark. However, the new hotel is a guest's worst nightmare. The hotel is a construction disaster. Nothing in the room works. Toxic smell of wet paint permeates through your skin and clothe. The professionalism of the front desk is a disgrace. Rude and indifferent attitude was consistent throughout their staff. I will never go back to this hotel. The Madison Concourse is 100% better in their customer service and amenities that is 1/2 the price of the Edgewater with complimentary cocktails and breakfast.

Room Tip: Don't stay in this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Mary M, Manager at The Edgewater, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Hi Businesstravelor808,
We are so sorry to hear about the various deficiencies you experienced during your stay. During this soft opening period, we are staging the addition of many new amenities, various food and beverage options, recreation activities and a full service spa. And while we are excited about these additions, it does require the continuation of construction around the property.

I would love the opportunity to discuss your experience further, please feel free to reach me direct at 608.535.8216.

Mary Murray
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We were so excited to try the new Edgewater. Unfortunately the renovations were nowhere near complete. None of the restaurants are finished. The lobby was unfinished and partially boarded up. You can't self park. They waived the resort fee and the valet fee and provided a free breakfast. We never eat hotel breakfasts so I can't comment on that. I just wish there had been something on their website to indicate that most of their amenities don't exist yet. It was way overpriced for what it was. We may try it again in a year or two when they're more established. Our room had a nice view and the location is good.

Stayed September 2014
Mary M, Manager at The Edgewater, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Hi Amy D,
We are so sorry to hear about the various deficiencies you experienced during your stay. During this soft opening period, we are staging the addition of many new amenities. And while we are excited about these additions, it does require the continuation of construction around the property.

Mary Murray
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

The hotel is just excellent, location was awesome, just 5 minutes away from the busy state street and the magnificent state capital. Room was clean, excellent view for Lake Mendota, staff were friendly and helpful. Sure will stay in the hotel for my next visit.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I received a gift certificate from our daughter for our 40th Wedding Anniversary. We stayed in a Suite on a corner with views out 2 sides. The view of Lake Mendota at night is spectacular. Slowly sipping room service coffee in the early AM looking out at the lake is Magical! In my considerable experience, few if any hotels match the Edgewater for service and gentility. I'm a sucker for superior hospitality and The Edgewater exemplifies that! Have had several meals in the dining room--Admiralty Room. In Madison, it is incomparable for over all elegance, service, food quality and location (on the lake with floor to ceiling windows!). When the hotel is finally renovated and reopened---GO! STAY! DINE! and sit by the fire in the lounge and quietly enjoy the view of wonderful Lake Mendota!! Not to be maudlin, but drink a toast to my dear departed wonderful wife Anna!

Room Tip: Try to get a Lake View room. It's perhaps "the" reason to stay there! Also, dining at...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kokomo, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I came here for the best birthday celebration a friend of mine could experience. I can preach forever of fancy hotels which are epic fails beneath the surface. I had no complaints here. Excellent staff. Excellent views of Lake Mendota (and the Wisconsin state capitol from the front entrance). The bartender at the party was very keen and knowledgeable in the preparation of every drink for such a distinct caliber of guests. The catering was beyond lovely. I would love to celebrate my birthday here sometime. Or at least just get away...on the edge...at this lovely place.

Room Tip: Because of the place being constructed on a bluff on Lake Mendota, some rooms (and banquet rooms) ar...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Edgewater? Share your experiences!