“better than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 63 hotels in Madison
Barrington, Illinois
“better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

After learning the identity of my Priceline reservation, I looked at the reviews and was expecting to check in to a bug infested ghetto! Really? My room was clean and bug free. The bed was comfortable and the linens crisp. The window opened, which is a big deal for me. The staff were more than helpful. I requested a refrigerator for medications and it was delivered to my room before I got off the elevator from checking in. I loved the lobby. Always like a free breakfast but having the Starbucks in the lobby made up for not having it. Breakfast looked good but was more than I needed. Loved the location.. I had a car so no sweat to drive downtown. Found a fabulous Japanese restaurant right across the street but make a reservation on the weekend. Front desk can supply the name. This hotel is not brand new and has some bumps and bruises but that just made it feel lived in, for me. I liked that the halls were brightly lit and cheerful. Bathroom was a good size. I liked everything about this hotel and found it to be much nicer than some of the reviews described.

Room Tip: If you want a window that opens get a room that doesn't overlook the lobby.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

273 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I booked the room through hotwire so was very hesitant to stay based on the reviews. The room was fine and quiet. I was on the 5th floor. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful especially the Starbucks staff. All in all a fine stay

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments in regards to your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Madison

We strive to exceed all of our guests expectations, and again thank you for your comments.

Sandy Haprer
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

The room never heated up. I switched rooms same problem. I had to sleep in my Ski clothes. The Airport Shuttle is not quick. to many drop offs at area companies. Crown Plaza Manager Flight Crews and business travelers need to get to the Airport in a timely manner. You need to restrict your shuttle to the Airport in peak hours. Parking fee's are too steep for the area.

Room Tip: In the winter make sure the room is heated.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. Although it is very disappointing when a review is negative, it is also appreciated, as sometimes we are not aware of inconveniences our guests might have encountered. I truly apologize for the heating issue in your room during your stay. I assure you this has been addressed with the appropriate personnel. I am also sorry for any inconvenience the shuttle caused you, as it is our intention to get all of our guests to the airport or their company in a timely matter. I am assuming when you spoke of steep parking fees you were referring to someplace other than the Crowne Plaza, as we do not charge for parking.

We strive to provide the finest service in the area, and I apologize for not exceeding your expectations. We do hope you will allow us to serve you in the future.

ELMHURST
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

The staff was attentive & helpful, but the room was worn & shabby. We were on the "Club Floor". The couch was filthy. My husband went to turn the cushions over, & found that the other side of the cushions were actually ripped! The nightstand door was broken & hanging askew. The bathroom faucet handles were at very odd angles, hard to turn off, & didn't operate in a normal fashion.
We also experienced a theft from our vehicle while parked in the lot. I will give the staff credit, as they were very attentive to our situation & gave us a free breakfast. But this hotel is getting VERY shoddy & worn down. I would expect this condition of a 2 star hotel off the interstate somewhere in Nebraska (no insult intended to Nebraska).

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear BRUCE G,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay and if your stay was negatively affected by the overall condition of the hotel. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and for that reason, your comments will surely be looked into. I am relieved to know that the hotel compensated you with breakfast for the parking lot issue you have experienced as well. Nevertheless, I appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention and rest assured your comments will be forwarded to the departments concerned to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

I hope this would not deter you from choosing us again in the future.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Since I was last here about a year ago, the rooms have improved. Although, my room was over looking the lobby. I would recommend against that because I heard a buzzing sound all night long. The shuttle was nice. Overall the place was good.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms like 238 so you won't feel the energy of the front desk.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Madison. We are certainly glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you during your next visit to Madison, WI.

Richardson, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Clearly in need of updating. The rooms are shabby, the hallways are worn. In-house dining options don't offer "dining." If you have a car, you have options. However, if you are like me and had no car, the dinner option of Growlers is pathetic. The server was nice, but the menu is extremely limited and the food not very appealing. The TV reception is pitiful -- across multiple channels. Front desk service -- oops, did I say "service?" A foreign concept apparently. Long waits for even a simple request. Will not stay here again unless I read that changes have been made.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
I would like to thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. Although your comments were extremely disappointing, I welcome them as it gives me the opportunity to address certain issues. I assure you, I take all comments very seriously and they will be addressed with the departments.

We strive to provide the finest service in the area, and I truly apologize for not exceeding your expectations. We are always working to improve, and we do hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We were staying the night in Madison and leaving early in the morning. All we wanted was a tv and a comfy bed. The tv is very limited. Very old. If one of us wants to watch tv while the other sleeps, we use the closed captions and turn the sound off. No closed captions. The tv took 10-15 second to change stations. We couldn't even watch WI sports (college or professional).- they don't carry the local stations. I would think this would be basic in any hotel - particularly a hotel that tries to be above the budget class. The hotel is near a mall, if you want to shop.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. Although it is very disappointing to hear your comments, be assured I use them to improve the hotel. We recently upgraded and changed our television vendor, and unfortunately there have been some issues we have had and are working on. It does not affect all tv's, so we are troubleshooting these issues.

I don't know if you mentioned this to the front desk, but in the future if you have an issue, please ask to be moved to another room.

I am so sorry for the inconvenience you incured, as we strive to provide the finest service in the area, and always want to exceed our guests expectation. I do hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Sandy Harper

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison? Share your experiences!