“Terrible experience!” 1 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #46 of 63 Hotels in Madison
“Terrible experience!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011 via mobile

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza last weekend and will not stay again! Thank goodness I did not pay full price and got a reasonable rate on Priceline. I am an elite member, but they wouldn't give me any perks if there even were much of any. I am also a Hilton gold member and Hilton always treats me and my family well. When we got off the elevator there were several OLD TV cabinets filling the space.....apparently they are updating. I did not see any rooms that looked updated. The first room they put us in had holes in the sheets, dirty carpet, hair (not mine) in the tub and was very outdated. So when I asked for a different room they said they would shuffle some rooms and put us in an "executive" room -- not much better. It had a tiny fridge in a cabinet that was broke and was very outdated. They treated me poorly and kept saying "you booked with Priceline". The Starbucks employee was rude and I ordered a white chocolate mocha she proceeded to make it with a cocoa packet.....I ended up throwing it away it tasted terrible.

• Stayed July 2011
CrownePlazaGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. Although, you certainly didn't have a good experience during your stay, I appreciate comments so I can solve the issues you incurred. We are currently renovating one floor in the hotel, and hope to have the entire hotel renovated soon. There is no excuse for poor service, and I assure you those issues will be addressed. I take all comments quite seriously, and it is my intention every guest that stays with us, is provided with the best service in the area.
Once again, I aplogize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.
Sandy Harper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

We are just finishing a stay at this hotel today and we enjoyed our stay! I was a little nervous when I booked it through Hotwire (first time using a third party site) but the value was great. We were on the second floor in a double room over the lobby as opposed to the pool and it was very quiet, clean and newly decorated. Our room just had its TV updated so my son was happy that he could plugin his PS3.

The housekeeping staff were friendly and helpful around a couple of questions I had. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable.

I used the fitness room and it was very clean; not busy at all. It is basic and all the equipment was in good shape. We used the pool but didn't venture into the hot tub as it had been very busy with all kinds of little kids - some in diapers - that was enough for me! I know this must be hard to police and certainly not a deal breaker.

The hotel is located across from a mall and close to a number of restaurants which was very handy - after such a long drive it was nice to be able to walk everywhere. I love the idea of having Starbucks in the lobby and a nice lounge! Nice to wake up to good coffee - even if you have to pay for it!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly decorated rooms and avoid the rooms that are over the pool.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
CrownePlazaGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We pride ourselves in providing the best service in the Madison area. I am glad you enjoyed the pool, new Flat Screen TV's recently installed, and Starbucks. We are currently in the process of renovating one floor of the hotel, with new beds, carpet, headboards, and more. Again, thank you for your comments and we certainly look forward to having you stay with us the next time your travels brings you to Madison, WI.
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

We rectntly stayed at the Crown Plaza in Madison because we were traveling with our small dog. The hotel was outdated and dark. The carpets were dirty, but I didn't expect too much given it was a pet friendly hotel. When we arrived we were greated with open arms. The front desk staff were very welcoming of us and our dog. The first two floors of the hotel are dedicated to families with pets. During our stay there was a tornado warning and the front desk again were very helpful of the situation that was new to us. The hotel is in a location that is near shopping and several restaurants. The exercise room is small, humid and dated.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
CrownePlazaGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I'm glad you and your pet felt welcome at our hotel. We know how important our pets are, and enjoy having them stay with us as well. I would like to tell you we are in the process of room renovation, and currently completing one floor. We hope you will stay with us again, and we do have a shuttle that can take you to a full service gym, which many of our guests do.

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

We came to the Crowne to run a very large business session. NOTHING worked! Although I was sent to an upgraded room, the phone would not work, internet kept breaking up, the room was left dirty, bath clogged, heating did not work, etc, etc, etc.

I have never written a bad report on a hotel, but I have lost my patience here. Calling reception to get them to do something about it was a lost battle, as they did not pick up their phone.

Location is good, but would avoid this one if you can.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor, but of course was very disappointed after reading your comments. I certainly wish I had been made aware of the inconviences you incurred during your stay with us, so I could have had the opportunity to correct your problems. I can certainly understand your frustration, as I would have felt the exact same way. I assure you I do not take these comments lightly; as our goal is to provide excellent service and accommendations to all of our guests.
I sincerely apologize for the situation during your stay with us.

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times,( 4 times in the last 6 months, 10 plus overall).I feel the service/staff is very professional.They certainly understand what customer service is supposed to be. I am always greeted with a smile and great service. I stay in hotels approx 50-60 nights a year for business and I rate this as one of my top places to stay. The check-in, shuttle service, bar/restaraunt, location all rate exceptional. The high speed wi-fi is actually high speed! . I have been checked in by new employees in training and they were assisted by well seasoned employees so they get properly trained. Overall summary, very clean well kept hotel with an excellent staff.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
I would like to thank you for your comments posted on Trip Advisor during your stay in April with the Crowne Plaza Madison. Your comments were greatly appreciated, and will be passed on to the staff.
It is our goal to provide the finest service in the area, and to always exceed our guests expectations.
We hope to see you again soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

Hotel was noisy, dirty windows and some need for renovation. Experienced fire alarm which lasted past midnight in which we had to go outside in pajamas. Club lounge closed and had to fight for breakfast certificate even though following morning was only one in restaurant. As elite member in hotel program, hotel has ignored previous requests for customer service. Wonder why bother with such unresponsiveness? Don't get to Madison often, but will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Schererville, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

We've stayed at this hotel twice, once about two years ago and once this year.
Back in '08 you could tell the place hadn't been recently update, and now it's starting to look at bit worn.
The staff is fine. They aren't great with getting cabs, we were left to fend for ourselves. (FYI, Badger cab does some sort of cab share thing. So after leaving this hotel we had to stop at the grocery store down the block to pick up another passenger. I'm done with that company.)
Our room was clean. I don't know that the place is worth the actual hotel rate, but we booked through Hotwire so it wasn't awful. (Friends our ours stayed at the HoJo down the street and paid almost as much as we did.) Beds were comfy like one would except at a Crowne Plaza. I did notice that the sleep kits are no more though. (They still have the CD player alarm clocks, but no CD.)
Our room's only windows overlooked the pool. Surprisingly the noise wasn't bad.
I would stay at this hotel again if I had to. The location just isn't great.
Just a tip, parking can be a problem. There was a wedding going on one night. That combined with move in weekend at at the University made for a full parking lot. It of course didn't help that quite a few U-Haul trailers were in parking spaces. There were also moving trucks taking up four spaces. Not cool. Probably something the hotel needs to deal with.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
CrownePlazaGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, January 28, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor, regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza, Madison. It is very important to us to hear all comments, both positive as well as negative. This gives us the opportunity to improve the overall hotel, as we strive to give our guests a positive experience while staying with us. Our goal is to always exceed our guests expectations.

Sandy Harper

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison? Share your experiences!