“Definitely stay here!!!!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Cortez
San Diego
“Definitely stay here!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed here after going to Mesa Verde. Service was OUTSTANDING. The staff made our stay happen since it was last minute. They completely accommodated my family. Cortez is not much to speak of as a town, but this property is newly renovated and is really nice! I would not even think about staying anywhere else in town after staying here. When we went to breakfast in the morning there was even a local artisan in the lobby selling her jewelry (which was really neat)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Innkeeper01, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Joe C! OMG, you have stayed at the four seasons in Singapore, I LOVE that place! I cannot believe we even rate after you stayed there, that is crazy awesome! Our local Navajo artisans are Jess and Frieda; she rocks our jewelry and he is a potter, they are both great people and good at what they do. Thank you for taking the time to review us, you made our Monday!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Springfield, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We had a last minute change in our travel plans and were able to get a room here at the Holiday Inn in Cortez. The hotel lobby is done with a beautiful Navajo theme. The room was spacious and clean, comfortable bed, great view. The staff was pleasant, helpful, and knowledgeable about the area. Good breakfast buffet.

Even though it was late October, the flowers on the grounds were beautiful. Kudo's to the leadership of this hotel who recognize the value of a dedicated gardener who obviously has an amazing green thumb.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Innkeeper01, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
BandBVermont in the HOUSE!! Your reviews sound like an epic itinerary of the four corners area. I am headed to Randy’s this weekend, they rule! Thanks for writing a review about us; I have printed out your review and taped it to every staff entrance door in the Hotel. Its funny, the first thing we do is see the review and think, Oh god, what did we do now, lol! Then we read it and smile, and have a great day knowing all the stress, worry, blood, sweat and tears mean something to other people, its awesome. Heather is our Dedicated Grounds keeper and we love her too. I put the review in our Owners hands and he nodded and smiled, he knows. We love her so much we have promoted her to our maintenance department during the winter so she has work even though there are no beautiful flowers growing. Have an awesome Christmas!
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This hotel had many good things to start with they are close to he entrance of mesa Verde park,
the rooms were large and have great views. We did an up grade to king suites ,that came with a jacuzzi it was wonderful, the beds were very comfortable, the amenities were out standing. They have rooms for pets, nonsmoking throughout the hotel, But the staff was outstanding, they helped us plan our days there, and gave us info for when we bring our grandchildren back yes we will be going back soon.Thank you so much for the great breakfast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Innkeeper01, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Yes! linda g! The Hot Tub Suite is awesome, I wish all our rooms were that big and had a Jacuzzi tub in them! Glad you liked the views of Mesa Verde too, we live in a very beautiful area. Suites are generally only $20-$30 more than a standard room. Unfortunately we have gone No Pet and No Smoking. Some people like that, we just hate saying NO to people, we really wish we were able to find a way to have everyone stay with us, we just couldn’t. Try the Family Suite with the Grandkids, they will literally flip out!
Fayetteville, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is one of the best hotels in the Holiday Inn chain. Navaho theme. Large clean rooms. Day trip to Mesa Verde, Hovenweep, & Canyon de Chelly after great breakfast bar. Ask the staff about the best Mexican restaurant in Colorado, they know.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Innkeeper01, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Suggsrider! Love the title of your review! Last time I gave a shout out to the great places to eat in our town, my response got deleted for “advertising”, lol! The clerks do have the skinny on dinning, that is for sure! Come back soon, glad you enjoyed what our part of the globe has to offer! Ya Ta Hey!
Litchfield Park, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We spent one night at this property for our drive through the Four Corners area. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff was nice. There was free breakfast, which was very good, with a great staff keeping it stocked. Eggs, Pancakes, Cinnamon buns, etc...great selections. The sink was separate/outside the rest of the bathroom, which is always convenient!

Very close to a Walmart if you need to restock on anything.

One problem: the drain in the tub was one of the absolute worst I have ever experienced. The tub immediately started to fill with just the start of the shower. By the end, we were standing in about 5 inches of water....which then had to drain before the next shower. We did advise the front desk...the manager on duty overheard the conversation and immediately blocked that room for maintenance purposes and reduced our rate.

Since we felt the issue we had was handled, we would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Innkeeper01, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Hey WeThreeAdventurers, I only saw two of you!! That breakfast IS ridiculous! I will tell Madonna and her Lovely Breakfast Ladies that they kept everything Hot and Fresh! I like the sink outside too, However, there is another crowd that like the sink inside the restroom so that they can get ready without waking everyone. I wish we had more room we would have a sink inside AND outside! As you may be able to imagine, 100 tubs and showers and sinks running and good but dated plumbing and you will get the occasional Barbie Head (true-and can you believe the kid wanted it back!!) wash rag (true and common) soap bar (true and WAY too common) Q-tip ‘in-drain’ pup tent (true-though verified only through indirect evidence) a fork (true and wtf, a fork, really!!!) and a wad of Hundred Dollar Bills.. (false, yeah that would be soooo great.) As soon as we get a clog we are Johnny On The Spot and we never really know until someone starts to really put water into the drain, you can’t usually tell from the cleaning though we have had a few astute young Housekeepers notice and tell us so we can “Snake” the line; very dirty business. Please come back soon, we miss you!
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have yet to stay at this location, but I can only hope that it is as good as advertised since I will be getting charged for two nights, instead of one. Holiday Inn has a silly reservation policy that will not let you cancel a reservation...for any reason. Since I am in the military, I can only hope that I do not get deployed between now and December, because if I do, I am out of the money that was charged to my credit card for the entire stay.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Innkeeper01, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Juan H, That sucks! Let me help you get the word out, dispel a few myths and give some Industry Insider Information that could save the next person hundreds of dollars!
1. When choosing to book Online, ALWAYS read the fine print, especially if you are hunting for discounts. There are Hundreds of websites selling rooms. ALL of them (including our brand Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG)) have their own rules, cancel penalties and deposit requirements. TIP: Always book your stay directly with the Hotel if you can. You can often get the same rate or sometimes even a lower rate by talking to a clerk or a manager. Our Hotel lets you cancel ANY reservation made over the phone with us as late as 6:00pm on the day of arrival and often times will let you cancel without penalty or fee up to as late as 9:00pm on the day of arrival with Manager Approval.
2. ALWAYS independently re-confirm your reservation. Even if you call the same number back that you made the reservation on and have the same agent on the line. Re-confirm your reservation. They should say the Day, Date, Month, First and Last Name, Stay Length, Number of Rooms, Rate and Confirmation Number as well as verify the last four digits of the Card you are using to guarantee your reservation with. This prevents being billed for a room you did not use and then having to pay for another when you do arrive for the date you thought you had reserved. This happens all the time in the Hotel business.
3. If you have made a mistake or need help or have a fear or concern about your reservation, ask for a manager. They will be able to solve almost any problem and fix almost anything that has gone wrong. At out Hotel Ask for me, Justin Vasterling. If I am not there, the Clerk will leave a message for me and I will be able to get on it first thing in the morning. If it is an emergency, they will call me at home or if you ask the Clerk real nice and say that I told you it was ok to wake me up at home on a Tripadvisor review!!
4. Having to pay for something you don’t want pisses EVERYONE off. However, Yelling at or threatening a person rarely gets you anywhere and often times makes people not help you where they otherwise could. That may not be fair but it is the truth. I have “bent” some pretty firm rules in my time and in every case, the person I “bent” the rules for was calm and pleasant to talk to. They were not accusatory or demanding. They asked for “Help”. They told the truth, no matter how implicating or ridiculous, they did not give in to the temptation to Lie in order to get what they wanted. They allowed me time to research the issue. Did I mention not screaming or cursing at my 18 year old front desk clerks and making them cry? My boss always tells me that you get more with sugar then you do with vinegar, and he is 100% correct. It has been a hard lesson for me to learn and depending on the day, I am still learning, lol!
5. MOST IMPORTANT! You can ignore everything above if you just book over the phone directly with the Hotel AND re-confirm that your reservation is correct. Also, ask about the cancellation policy.
Now, I have followed my own advice and still not gotten what I wanted from Verizon once, but I did get my bill cut in half. So, no promises but a $250.00 phone bill was WAY better than a $500.00 phone bill. I am at our Hotel Monday through Friday 7:00 to 3:00pm until the end of time. I come in every day on the weekend to check emails and reply to phone messages. I am happy to help anyone I am able. Juan, I am really sorry you booked a Reservation with a Cancel Penalty online. The web page IHG has is confusing as hell, I know, I hate it, I would delete it if they would let us. I hope you make it out here, you will LOVE our Hotel, I WILL upgrade you to a suite to help, would you like the Honeymoon Suite or the Family Suite? Also, I know how pissed you are, and none of this helps you as the reservation is already booked the deposit forwarded, however, if you are deployed, I will not collect the penalty no matter what IHG says we have to do. It really bums me out that the red tape of the Hospitality Business can cause such frustration, I really hate it. I look forward to seeing you and will be happy to make ALL of your reservations for our property in the future, just ask for me when you call. Be safe and I hope we see you soon! Warmly, Justin vasterling-AGM
busselton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed two nights at this clean and comfortable hotel set in beautifully maintained grounds
Parking is excellent and access is no problem.
The Native American theme decor is wonderful and the room included everything required,
this is a great hotel with friendly and helpful staff, all adding up to a pleasant stay.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Malcolm h! Your awesome! Its all about staying a second night! Snow is on the way and things become a totally different kind of beautiful! Drive safely. You can call our hotel for up to the minute driving and road conditions. Come back Sooner’er!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez? Share your experiences!