“Tired” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Cortez
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This hotel is in serious need of renovation, and we were glad that we only stayed for one night. Our visit coincided with the motorcycle rally, and though we didn't have any trouble with the bikers, my wife would not go swimming because about a dozen of them were sitting outside drinking and relaxing. I fully support a biker friendly location, but I believe that alcohol consumption should be done in an adult environment (bar) and not where children are present.
The reason I gave 3 instead of 2 because everything worked, the beds were comfortable and the room itself was acceptable. The carpet did have stains, and the idea of a central hall leading to a quad of rooms was a foreign concept to me. The sink is outside of the bathroom - convenient for a family of 4 - and there was plenty of water pressure and hot water. The rooms had a mini-fridge and microwave, and a small (~28") TV with plenty of channels.
The pool and hot tub are outside, but the hot tub did not work / was not heated while we were there. The continental breakfast was adequate, and the location (to Mesa Verde) was convenient.
There are several hotels in the area, but this one provided adequate accommodations for a reasonable price. I probably would book something a little more exclusive than this if I were to go back.

Room Tip: Upper rooms are quieter, and Labor Day is motorcycle rally time.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
kjz1970, General Manager at Days Inn Cortez, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel in regards to your stay with us over Labor Day weekend. Our hotel is an older establishment and we do try to make our rooms clean, comfortable and in working order. I apologize for the group of adults that took advantage of picnic tables and mild evenings by relaxing and drinking after their rides. Unfortunatly, unless they were loud and abusive towards other guests we really can not dictate their behavior.

I take full responsibility for our Jacuzzi not working during the Labor day weekend, we did replace the pump mechanism on Aug 29th with a new motor when the old one started to make noise, We did not realize that the new motor that we recieved from Doheny's water wareshouse was defective. When ever I tested the motor it seemed to work fine but when I hooked it up to the Jacuzzi system it would only run for 20 to 30 minutes before turning off until someone rest the switch. I did not discover the problem until Saturday afternoon and I did try to re-install the old motor but as it ws on its last legs prior to us installing the new one, it would not prime itself fast enough to start the water circulation. There was nothing that I could do to get the Jacuzzi up and running over the weekend. We are still waiting for the replacement motor from Doheny's and it is the 11th.

Kathy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Cedar City, UT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We chose this motel for a one night stopover on our way to the Durango area for convenient location, inexpensive and pet friendly.
The property is older and not terribly attractive from the outside but it turned out to be somewhat updated, clean, comfortable beds, good property for dog walking and a Mexican restaurant right next door that was a welcome convenience for a quick meal before bed.
The continental breakfast was more than adequate and the staff friendly. It worked for us.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Right off the bat... had I pulled up to this place, I would have never booked it.

I went by reviews, and they were more or less correct. This Days seems very strange when you head to your room, not inviting, sorta dumpy vibe. However, the room was clean, everything worked, and we slept well. The pool, although we never used it, looked OK and usable.

Get a first-floor room, unless you want to lug your stuff up the stairs. Parking is right in front of your door.

All in all, if you don't want to pay for the Best Western or the Holiday Inn Express (both too expensive, IMHO), this is probably your next best choice. It's certainly good enough for a night. Maybe two.

A warning... the Mexican restaurant on site? Food was good, but it was rather overpriced for mexican food. You might want to try elsewhere in town to save money.

Room Tip: Get a first floor room to avoid lugging luggage up stairs.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

This was a good location but was overpriced for the size. The rooms were small and the bathroom was smaller than an outhouse. We have stayed at many days inn but this one was a disappointment . Very close to Mesa verde national park and a easy stop over on the way to flagstaff. Would look into other hotels in the area next time

• Stayed August 2012
Cambridge, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed here 1 night in August, 2012 because it was close to Mesa Verde Nat Park. We checked in about 5:00 that evening and I was pleasently surprised when I saw our room. We had a two room suite - the first bedroom had a queen bed - then through a short hallway was a second bedroom with 2 double beds. My son and his wife and there 2 small children slept in this room.The bathroom had a door leading into it from either bedroom, so you didn't have to walk through someone elses room to get to the bathroom. I really liked that. There was a small frig, microwave and coffee maker in the 1st room. We went next door and had Mexican food at the restaurant - it was just okay - I am not a fan of Mexican food.
My son and his kids played in the pool for a couple hours -very nice outdoor pool. And then we went to bed. The beds were very comfortable. We had free Wii Fi too.
The next day we went for breakfast and it was great - they had juice, cereal, boiled eggs, waffles, yogurt, fruit, muffins and rolls - just about everything you can think off.
I would definately stay here again - We paid $120.00 for all 6 of us to sleep there and have breakfast - very good value for the money. If we had rented two rooms it would have cost us much more.

Room Tip: The rooms on the lower level are the two room suites. I did not hear anyone above us. However, there...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
WestSlope,CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We last stayed at the Days Inn several years ago when they were in the process of remodeling, so I thought an updated review was in order. This is an older motor-inn style hotel (all doors face the parking area, and lower floor rooms have their parking space right in front of the door) in a very convenient location at the junction of Hwy 145 and 160. The hotel is set back from the road sufficiently that we did not hear any road noise. Our room was fairly large and the king size bed was comfortable. I am used to a pillow top mattress, so I thought the bed might be too hard for my taste, but I was pleasantly surprised. The room was very clean, with new-ish, clean bathroom fixtures. The bathroom is small, as is fairly typical in older hotels, but adequate. There was a nice flat screen TV, a fridge, microwave, and coffee pot. There is a pool, which also appeared clean and well maintained. We did not eat the breakfast so can't comment on that.

If you are pulling a trailer or driving a truck, there is adequate parking, which is not true of some Cortez hotels.

We would stay here again.

Room Tip: There are two floors and no elevators, so ask about a ground floor room if you have a problem with s...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

I rated this as 2 out of 5 because we would not stay there again, would have paid another $50-100 for a nicer place and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The service was great and breakfast was good. However, the entire hotel is very dated. The cement steps leading up to the second floor are cracked in the middle making it feel unsafe walking up them. The rooms are all in hallways and when the other room doors shut in the hall way, it shakes the entire room. The carpets in the room were disgusting... my husbands feet were black just from walking on the floor. We aren't "posh" hotel types and are okay staying somewhere that isn't "awesome" and we look for deals where we can get our needs met and not pay a ton of money. In this case, we would have paid more for a better experience and were very glad that we stayed only one night.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
kjz1970, Manager at Days Inn Cortez, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for writing a review about your stay at the Days Inn of Cortez. I am sorry that your experience at our hotel was not up to your standards. I would like to speak with you in regards to your stay so that we can make sure we correct our faults. If you could please contact the hotel and ask to speak with me I would greatly appreciate it.

Kathy

Been to Days Inn Cortez? Share your experiences!