“Perfect location for Cortez stay” 5 of 5 stars

Archaeologist-Guided Hike
Ranked #2 of 5 Cortez B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Perfect location for Cortez stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I made a reservation here for a group of six friends who were interested in hiking and exploring the Canyon of the Ancients. I started by simply writing to Jerene and explaining our lodging preferences and also asked for hiking suggestions. She arranged for the perfect combination of beds and a kitchen between two units. When we arrived, the arrangements were a perfect fit for our needs. The property is beautifully cared for and perfectly located, surrounded by red rock cliffs and orchards. Unit 11 has a wonderful deck as well as a kitchen and living room. Great for a group of friends.

Jerene suggested the Ute Mountain guided hike and we all agreed it was the highlight of our trip. The full-day hike is the best option and it was fun to ride in the van with the guide. It is also possible to hike on the property and into the Canyon of the Ancients - all worthwhile.

We were all sorry to leave after a four-day stay. Although we brought most of our meals with us, it was great to start the day with their breakfast buffet. Always a nice selection plus a chance to chat with other guests. Jerene made sure that everything was to our liking upon arrival. We did have perfect Spring weather and the wildflowers and cactus were in bloom, making this trip very special.

I definitely will stay again and have already recommended Kelly Place to friends. This is a great place for independent travelers.

Room Tip: Unit 11 has 2 bedrooms and a kitchen. Very clean and private. Deck was amazing.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Grand Junction, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We've stayed at Kelley place three times, and enjoyed every one of them. The hosts are always pleasant and always helpful, the accommodations are great, and the locatoin is special. We usually stay in one of the cabin rooms. They are spacious, clean, and well equipted (wifi access, fridge with small freezer, bar-b-q, microwave, large sofa). The bed is comfortable. The location itself is special: anasazi artifacts and dwellings on site (where can you match that?), Hoevenweep National Monument near by, and the breakfasst areas, both inside and outside are most comfortable. I've used the outside veranda as a place to complete some writing and felt most welcome at any time of day. As said, we've anjoyed our stays--and we will return.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

My two adult sons. my wife and I stayed at Kelly Place for one night after several days of touring the Southwest. For us is was the perfect respite: quiet, clean, well appointed, comfortable, with an excellent shower(!) and with a soothing gas fireplace. We were sorry that our time was limited and we did not get to go through a full day's cycle. We hope to return- next time with our granddaughter in tow. Thank you.

Room Tip: The four of us stayed in Cabin #10 with an addition trundle bed. It was commodious, warm and more th...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2015

I wish I could comment on Kelly Place's rooms, their property, etc, but seeing as how I was not on their property for more than 2 minutes before deciding that there was no way in hell I would be staying, my review will have to stay at their hospitality... or lack thereof. Kelly Place being unwelcoming is an understatement.

Just to give some background information, my father had offered to exchange a painting he had done on the property a few years previously for two nights stay at the hotel. My father had been there previously as an artist in residency and the owners accepted his offer.

My family and I arrived at Kelly Place on the day of our reservation around 11:00 AM, about 5 hours before checkin. We did not plan on checking in or hiking on the property or anything, we just wanted to leave two cars on the property for our checkin later and take one car out to the National Park (nowhere near Kelly Place property). What we were greeted with was no short of insanity and unwarranted hostility like I have never experienced.

My father was in the process of writing a note to the owners on one of the cars we were leaving explaining us leaving two of the three cars when we were approached by one of the owners. He immediately asked us quite aggressively, "Can I help you?" My father began to explain that we were the group with a reservation for later that day (there was no one else staying on the property this weekend) and before he could even finish his sentence the owner began jumping down our throats. Some of the gems from his tirade are as follows:

"Why did you bring 3 cars?!?! Are you bringing the whole damn town with you?!?!" "You're parking in the spaces for cabin 8 and 9! Without consulting us!" (Again, we were the ONLY people staying on the property) "There's long term parking down the road! How did you not see it?!?!" (3 out of the 4 of us had never before been to the property) "Checkins not until 4! What the hell are you doing?" "We're not even open at this time of year! We're closed! (Again, we had a reservation, and there were no signs saying the property was closed at the main road) "Can you not read signs?!?!" (The signs on the property are small, and as 3/4s of us had not been to the property before we were not sure where would be best to park or even where the office was).

We were taken aback by this sudden attack by the owner, and no matter what we said nothing would edge him from his aggression. I understand his frustration with people using his property to illegally hike in the area, but that is NO excuse to attack customers of your property. If you can't keep your anger in check especially in face of reason perhaps you should not be in hospitality.

We eventually gave up reasoning with the owner and resolved to leave (and not return). To this, the owner said "Fine! Leave. And we don't want your damn painting anyway!" and stormed off.

I know this is one of those reviews that you feel can't possibly be true. Oh, how I wish it wasn't. I can not recommend enough not giving your business to a place that will treat people in this way, especially to customers of their property. Take your business elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
furbird, Owner at Kelly Place, responded to this review, March 1, 2015
Quotes out of context are heavily and unfairly biased. You seem to remember everything so well that you are using quotation marks, but you have conveniently forgotten all the insolent remarks your mother made to deserve this kind of response. Your emotional characterization is also inaccurate and inappropriate.

Your group obviously knew you were not going to let anyone in the office know you were here and leaving vehicles. There was a sign pointing to the office right next to the assigned spaces where you were parking. (In fact, there were 2 other families staying with us that night. Clearly you are making unwarranted assumptions.) It seems like you were trying to avoid talking with someone in the office, doesn’t it? We had an email the day before saying you would arrive at 5 PM. No mention of wishing to leave vehicles with us. So we were justified in not expected you until 6 hrs later. When you were asked “Can I help you?”, the first response should have been to introduce yourselves and let us know you had reservations for this evening. Instead, the first response was “We are parking to condense our cars so we can go in one car”. Hence the generation of the misunderstanding and the fiasco prompted by your mother’s argumentative behavior. Repeatedly calling names as she did is not the mark of a courteous person. Would you park on someone’s private property and just leave without a word? A worse case would have been if you had left without informing us and returned to find those two abandoned vehicles had been towed away.

The problem you engendered is unique. In our ten years, we have never had any incident like this, or with someone who behaved like your mother. As I said in my prior response to the other review of the same incident, other people have come here early, let us know, and either stayed on property or parked and gone elsewhere many, many times, with no misunderstandings, no problems, no name-calling. This time, something else was wrong.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2015

Hands-down the worst customer service I have ever experienced. When we first arrived on the property we were yelled and cussed at (yes really) for arriving before the check-in time and for parking in the wrong spot. We tried to explain that we were not trying to check-in, simply condensing our party to one car so we could go on with our daily plans, but were drowned out by the the owner's tirade. We were then accused of trying to illegally hike on their property and trespassing even though we repeatedly explained we had reservations for that night and had no intention of hiking there. The owner then asked "what the hell we were thinking" bringing so many cars, even though we explained we were meeting there from 3 different cities.
Only one in our party had been on the property before and we were unfamiliar with the correct parking. I understand if "rules are rules," but these could have been explained calmly and respectfully, especially when he saw we meant no harm. For this man to yell right in my mother-in-law's face was completely unprofessional and uncalled for, especially when we were paying customers WITH A RESERVATION FOR THAT NIGHT.

One more fun fact: we were the only party staying there that weekend so they refused to go through the trouble of serving us breakfast (even though it's a BnB), however did not drop the price. Should have taken that as a sign from the beginning.

Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
furbird, Owner at Kelly Place, responded to this review, February 20, 2015
Please, do the right thing and avoid problems! They said they were arriving at 5 PM. They arrived 6 hours early, but instead of coming to the office, saying hello, and that they wished to park their cars here while they went hiking elsewhere, they parked in labeled spaces for other guests. When one of us approached and asked if he could help them, they did not say they were staying here and arrived early. Instead they said they were going to just park here and go off hiking.

On beautiful weekend days, we get many people stopping in and wanting to park and hike. We do not allow this on our private property UNLESS they are staying with us. If they had introduced themselves and told us who they were, the response would have been different. Instead, when told they could not park there, this lady became argumentative and the result was an altercation. The accusation of yelling and cussing is not correct. This entire problem could have been avoided if they had come to the office instead of behaving like trespassers, or even introduced themselves at the beginning.

In fact, we had other guests that day who also arrived early and checked with us about hiking. I gave them some information and they had a pleasant day. No problem at all! We had two other groups arrive that day, wanting to park and hike and after explaining to them that they couldn’t do that, they left. No problem.

In fact, the gentleman had emailed asking if we would take a small painting he had made on the property in trade for room for 4 people, 2 nights. Although we don’t really need the painting, the picture seemed nice and I graciously offered him the use of our most expensive accommodation, the 2 bedroom suite as a trade. This is perfect for 2 couples, with a full kitchen. I said that, with this deal, we would not cook breakfast for them, so we wouldn’t have to buy fresh food for non-cash guests. He could have declined, but he accepted. We didn’t drop the price because they weren’t actually paying money. This fact had nothing to do with the problem they engendered.

They decided not to stay. The lady phoned me, ignored my apologies, called me insane a couple of times, and hung up on me. She had never met me.
Dolores, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2014

We stopped into Kelly Place on a recommendation from a friend. We did not have a reservation, merely wanted to check it out for future visits, either in a cabin or an RV space. We walked into the main building where a woman was cooking. She didn't even acknowledge us. I said hello and she just looked at me. I asked about cabins and she said "they're just out there all around" and "you can get more information online". I asked about the RV spaces and she became really annoyed, and told me that I couldn't have missed them on my way in. So, we went outside, assuming we could walk around a bit. She then came out and told us that the place was only for guests with reservations. Well, we certainly won't be making a reservation at such an inhospitable place.
Kelly Place, if you're reading this, you should be more welcoming. You just lost a potential customer by being so rude.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
furbird, Owner at Kelly Place, responded to this review, November 22, 2014
These people were upset because I told them that hiking on Kelly Place property is reserved for guests only. We have a sign at the entrance to the property informing all that this is private property and that no public access to our beautiful archaeological sites is permitted. I was NEVER rude to them. They arrived unannounced when the office was closed and I was cooking for guests. I asked if I could help them and answered their questions. When they left the building, I overheard that they were going for a hike. (We are 2 miles from a public trailhead.) Then I saw the father with a backpack and the rest of the family going down a path on our property—not departing after all. When I told them that “the grounds are for guests” and “we do have rooms available for tonight”, the father made a rude comment and they departed. The interactions they describe in this review never happened and I was not annoyed with them until that last comment. They live just a 40 minute drive from here. I don’t think they ever intended to pay for lodging.
Kilchberg, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014

We chose (and would happily recommend) Kelly Place as the perfect antidote to overly touristy Durango. Fantastic to just laze (in the lounge chatting to the other gests), in the garden suntanning, on the deck after dinner enjoying the starry sky and the local wines), or during one of the activities in the vicinity - the Anasazi ruins start on the property, horesriding is half a mile away, 2 canyons wait to be explored, etc etc

The reooms were very well appointed, clean an quiet, coffee and drinks always in the loungs, breakfasrt great and changing from day to day. The two dinners were lovely as well.

Marc and Jerene have a very relaxed style and help very willingly if you need advice to organiize.

i would give the 5th start if there was dinner every evening and if there was a hot tub - dream on...

Room Tip: Unit 11 has 2 bedrooms and a lovely deck with gas grill - perfect to end the evening in stly
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
furbird, Owner at Kelly Place, responded to this review, November 22, 2014
Thank you and your family for staying at Kelly Place! We are glad we could include you in the dinners for the group that was here then. As a bed and breakfast, we generally provide only breakfast and snacks, but with prearrangement, groups of 8 or more can have additional meals prepared for them. Bed and breakfast guests, such as you, can opt to be included with the group’s meals if they are here at the same time and have this prearranged too. We hope you enjoyed your meals and that you will return for another visit!

Been to Kelly Place? Share your experiences!