“Worth the drive!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Cortez
Activities: Driving, Camping, Hiking
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Located in Utah but near Cortez, this site has six ruin sites all built around 1200 AD. Hovenweep is 42 miles from Cortez, CO and approximately 48 from Blanding, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Worth the drive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

We camped one night in the Hovenweep campground. I definitely recommend staying at least one night if not two to have enough time to explore all of the various sites. The facilities (VC and campground) are stellar (clean and very we'll kept). We took out tent trailer and two small children and they can accomodate both tents and trailers. Rangers were so nice and the campground was awesome with flush toilets, nice fire pits, and covered tables. Quiet, beautiful place to spend time in the desert!

Visited April 2013

Farmington, New Mexico
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Awesome Towers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Although it is a little out of the way, it is definitely worth the trip. The main site is an easy 2 mile loop that gives views both afar and up close. The far sites show how this was a thriving community that interacted well.

Fort Collins, Colorado
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Ruins walk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

You'll need to leave the main highway to see this, but the roads in are all paved and good -- just follow the signs. The visitors' center here is probably not as developed as many---although the video is quite good and does provide a background for what you will see. When you walk the trail, maybe 2 miles, you'll get a good feel for what it must have been like to live in family units in this canyon. The ruins are in pretty good shape, with unusual architectual features, and towers. The trail is in good shape EXCEPT for the decent, about 80 ft?, into the canyon on the far side--that is a little rugged, especially for anyone with mobility issues. Well worth the stop, with sweeping views of Sleeping Ute Mountain.

Dallas
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 121 helpful votes
“Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I only rate it a 3 because for me it was less impressive than some other ruins but very worth the stop. Ah, I'll give it a 4 instead since I like the isolation. I was on my way by motorcycle from Durango to the Moki Dugway and Monument Valley and on to Kayenta, AZ. Was it ever hot. Take water just in case and check your fuel before you head out. There is drinking water there and I had plenty with me. It is really in "Nowhere", Utah. I wasn't sure I'd ever find it. I did have to guess which way to go at least once. But I like these out of the way places most people never see. The visitor's center is nice and the rangers seemed glad to see me. A couple was there in a motorhome and another motorcycle rider came in while I was leaving. The hiking trails did not seem too rough. The trail signage was very good. If you have the time take the hike.

Visited June 2012
TEMPE
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Get an extra map if you have a large group.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My nephews learned the hard way that they should never leave the people who have the map, as they got lost on the trail down in the canyon, and ended up having to turn back the way they came and retrace they steps. It made for a LONG walk for them, probably over 4 miles (the basic trail is 2 miles, with an additional 1/4 mile if you take the extra loop). Even in March, we all ended up getting a bit of sun, and one of the boys got VERY sunburned.

Visited March 2013

Been to Hovenweep National Monument? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Hovenweep National Monument, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.