“Interesting” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Cortez
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Driving, Camping, Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in Utah but near Cortez, this site has six ruins all built around 1200 AD.
Dallas
73 attraction reviews
“Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I only rate it a 3 because for me it was less impressive than some other ruins but very worth the stop. Ah, I'll give it a 4 instead since I like the isolation. I was on my way by motorcycle from Durango to the Moki Dugway and Monument Valley and on to Kayenta, AZ. Was it ever hot. Take water just in case and check your fuel before you head out. There is drinking water there and I had plenty with me. It is really in "Nowhere", Utah. I wasn't sure I'd ever find it. I did have to guess which way to go at least once. But I like these out of the way places most people never see. The visitor's center is nice and the rangers seemed glad to see me. A couple was there in a motorhome and another motorcycle rider came in while I was leaving. The hiking trails did not seem too rough. The trail signage was very good. If you have the time take the hike.

Visited June 2012

TEMPE
9 attraction reviews
“Get an extra map if you have a large group.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My nephews learned the hard way that they should never leave the people who have the map, as they got lost on the trail down in the canyon, and ended up having to turn back the way they came and retrace they steps. It made for a LONG walk for them, probably over 4 miles (the basic trail is 2 miles, with an additional 1/4 mile if you take the extra loop). Even in March, we all ended up getting a bit of sun, and one of the boys got VERY sunburned.

Visited March 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
25 attraction reviews
“ruins galore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

If you are in the area to visit Mesa Verde, by all means take the time to tour Hovenweep National Monument. In contrast to the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde, these ruins are structurally more diverse from circular to square towers to more traditional block houses and can be seen on or near the tops of plateaus. The selection that is a short walk from the visitor center here is well worth the visit. There are also other sites within the park to see if you have the right vehicle. On a recent wintry visit, we chose not to take the muddy unpaved roads even with our 4-wheeled drive vehicle. When the roads are dry though they can be quite navigable and the ruin sights are worth the visit.

Visited February 2013
East Tennessee
8 attraction reviews
“An adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Hovenweep will take you out on the res (considerably), but it's worth it if you're into such stuff.. Cheers.. Ron

Visited July 2012
Cortez, Colorado
18 attraction reviews
“A casual, not crowded Ancient Ones site”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Get a picnic lunch, head out Hwy.491 to the Hovenweep signs, keep driving, you will get there. I have been here many times, we take all of our company here, too. This is remote compared to Mesa Verde and it is also free. There is a lovely picnic area and a huge building and kiva. This is handicapped accessible, even the picnic area has a site or two. There are paved walk ways to the whole area. There are explanatory signs all over. Especially if you have young children, this is the spot for you!
If you have not been here, go. It is on the Great Sage Plain and you will feel the vastness of the area.

Visited October 2012

Been to Hovenweep National Monument? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Hovenweep National Monument, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.