“I Love Hovenweep!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 12 Attractions in Cortez
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Driving, Camping, Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in Utah but near Cortez, this site has six ruins all built around 1200 AD.
Roosevelt, Utah
6 attraction reviews
“I Love Hovenweep!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Visited over Solstice weekend in December 2012; the park was frozen and had plenty of snow but the visit was still as memorable as other times I've been there. The Park Service has done a wonderful job making this area easier to get to, and the ruins themselves are amazing. If you're really into ancestral Puebloan ruins you must visit!

Visited December 2012

Dove Creek, Colorado
“school field trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I took 22 3rd graders to Hovenweep on a field trip. The ranger was very helpful, kind, and did a 20-30 minute presentation. The walk around the loop of ruins takes about 1 hour and is fairly easy. Beautiful place!

Visited April 2012
Dallas
73 attraction reviews
“Interesting History”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

One reason I went here is because of the out of the way place it is and the paved roads to get there looked interesting. I was on a motorcycle trip primarily to visit a friend in Durango, CO. I missed this part of CO and UT on previous trips to this part of the country. So it seemed natural for me to go here on my way to the Moki Dugway and Monument Valley before returning to Dallas. It is a long way off the "beaten trail" with no services on the way. It was hot. The visiters center did have water. They seemed glad to see us. There was another fellow on a motorcycle plus a couple in an RV. There is plenty of hiking and historical structures to see if you have the time which I did not. If you like desert or high desert and don't mind the feeling of nowhere then I recommend it. I liked it and I would do it again. I rated it average because it being remote and I have seen similar places before

Visited June 2012
Idaho
25 attraction reviews
“I'd go back if I were in the area....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Intersting ruins site. We only had about an hour to explore, but I would return if I were in the area. Not a destination trip unless you're really into ruins, but a good stop while seeing other things.

Visited April 2012
Cortez, Colorado
22 attraction reviews
“There was a time when people didn't need all the stuff to live.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Hovenweep is a place to go and remind yourself that there was a time when people had housing... and no mortgages, or real estate agents, or appraisers, or inspectors....

Visited September 2012

Been to Hovenweep National Monument? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Hovenweep National Monument, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.