“school field trip” 5 of 5 stars

McElmo Route, Cortez, CO 81321
970-562-4282
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 12 Attractions in Cortez
Type: Ancient Ruins, Monuments/ Statues, National Parks, Sights & Landmarks, Nature & Parks
Activities: Driving, Camping, Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in Utah but near Cortez, this site has six ruins all built around 1200 AD.
Dove Creek, Colorado
“school field trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I took 22 3rd graders to Hovenweep on a field trip. The ranger was very helpful, kind, and did a 20-30 minute presentation. The walk around the loop of ruins takes about 1 hour and is fairly easy. Beautiful place!

Visited April 2012

Dallas
73 attraction reviews
“Interesting History”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

One reason I went here is because of the out of the way place it is and the paved roads to get there looked interesting. I was on a motorcycle trip primarily to visit a friend in Durango, CO. I missed this part of CO and UT on previous trips to this part of the country. So it seemed natural for me to go here on my way to the Moki Dugway and Monument Valley before returning to Dallas. It is a long way off the "beaten trail" with no services on the way. It was hot. The visiters center did have water. They seemed glad to see us. There was another fellow on a motorcycle plus a couple in an RV. There is plenty of hiking and historical structures to see if you have the time which I did not. If you like desert or high desert and don't mind the feeling of nowhere then I recommend it. I liked it and I would do it again. I rated it average because it being remote and I have seen similar places before

Visited June 2012
Idaho
25 attraction reviews
“I'd go back if I were in the area....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Intersting ruins site. We only had about an hour to explore, but I would return if I were in the area. Not a destination trip unless you're really into ruins, but a good stop while seeing other things.

Visited April 2012
Cortez, Colorado
22 attraction reviews
“There was a time when people didn't need all the stuff to live.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Hovenweep is a place to go and remind yourself that there was a time when people had housing... and no mortgages, or real estate agents, or appraisers, or inspectors....

Visited September 2012
Napa, California
5 attraction reviews
“Hovenweep is for Lovers of Solitude”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I did two summers of archaeology field school and one six month stint as a ranger here, so I know it pretty well. While not as spectacular as Mesa Verde, Hovenweep has its own charm. The remoteness of its location removes you from the developed world and brings you closer to nature. Hovenweep, especially at the outlying ruins, allows you to move among the ruins as if you are the first to discover them. The quiet induces daydreams of how life was lived here 800 years ago.
Facilitywise, there is a very nice visitor center with helpful staff and a place to get cool on hot summer days. You can obtain trail guides and directions to the outlying ruins and information about camping. The campground is situated a short distance away and has a panoramic view of Sleeping Ute Mountain. I have enjoyed awesome sunsets and thunderstorms from this location. Expect to hear coyotes in the evening and to be visited by rabbits, collared lizards and ravens. If you are lucky, you may see an eagle or an owl at night. The campground is paved and has flush toilets, running water and shade structures with picnic tables.
The best time to visit is Spring and Fall. The Winter is cold and the Summer is HOT.

Visited July 2012

Been to Hovenweep National Monument? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Hovenweep National Monument, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.