“The worst Bed & Breakfast in Hot Springs-Hamilton House” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hamilton House Estate

You added Hamilton House Estate to your Saves list
Hamilton House Estate
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   132 Van Lyell Terrace, Hot Springs, AR 71913   |
Ranked #13 of 21 Hot Springs B&B and Inns
Tennesse
“The worst Bed & Breakfast in Hot Springs-Hamilton House”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

I've stayed at many B&Bs throughout the US, but without a doubt this is the very worst experience I've ever had. Management failed to tell me me before we arrived that the first night there was a wedding which took over the facility and kept us up until 10:30 PM. The second night was even worse -- the Daffodil Ball which included a band a few feet away from our door, with very loud music which kept us up until 11:10 PM . This experience was so bizarre that it's impossible to describe. Management obviously cares nothing for its guests. We had the TV at maximum volume in the room and could not hear it over the band. Management promised the band would quit by 11 but the rapper just really got started then. Think about having a full volume boom box in bed with you and that's about what we had to put up with. Management says it will refund part of the first night's stay and all of the second night's stay, but even a full refund will not remove the bitter taste of this experience.

Do not ever consider staying at this facility.

VanLyell33, Owner at Hamilton House Estate, responded to this review, March 10, 2009
The guest were informed of the party before they arrived. Not just the wedding but, the Daffodil Ball as well. We even invited them to attend the Ball upon check in. They oped to stay regardless. They were also made aware of where the events would be taking place as well as when they would end. We did refund part of the first night's stay and all for the second night. We even offered to find them other accommodations on us somewhere else for there second night of there stay. Still, they declined. We do take customer satisfaction seriously here at Hamilton House and try our best to accommodate everyone.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Grayton Beach, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2006

I had the pleasure of sleeping in this magnificent home in Doc's Master suite. I have known this property for many years, as it was previously a well known restaurant. Although dining there many years before, to wake up in this villa was like magic.

Doc's Master suite was not only beautiful and welcoming, but my boyfirend loved it as well! He usually balks at bed and breakfast, because so many seem to feel like grandmas house. Not the Hamilton House, docs suite has a master suite living room decked out in large leather sofa and chair with a seceratry writing desk. More elegant/refined than cutesy dollies. A full wall of windows to gaze out at the lake and front of this penisula. The bed made me feel like princess and the pea... it was so large and comfy.

Im not normally one to write reviews, but I wanted to share this with everyone and let them know, its hard to believe the other reveiws about bugs, for I did not see a one. My boyfriend loved it so ~ a great place to reconnect and we will be back.. I thouroghly enjoyed every moment of our three day rendezvous

• Liked — The size of the suite and the Big Bed
  • Disliked — no hdtv
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2006

My husband and I came to the Hamilton after touring all of our hotel choices in Hot Springs. We had slept in a hard bed in a horrible hotel the previous night and were more than pleased to find the Hamilton Inn.

The staff were so generous and caring. They acquired flowers, strawberries and chocolate, and all kinds of little extras for us with NO complaints and only charged us the cost of the supplies... no extra fees! When I realized I had a stain on the only pair of jeans I'd brought with me on the trip, my husband asked the staff if there was a washer/dryer on the premises. Instead of pointing us to the washer/dryer like we expected, the pants were washed FOR us, and they even provided helpful laundry tips!

The breakfast was wonderful, hot, and promptly served. We received whatever we liked for breakfast with no limitations. The bed was soft, the linens and room were sparkling clean, and the staff was more than helpful throughout our trip. We never lacked for a thing, and we left for our trip back home literally feeling like royalty!

We will definately be back to the Hamilton Inn many times in the future. They made us feel very special and VERY comfortable. :)

• Stayed January 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2006

From the moment I drove through the wrought iron gates of this estate I was taken back in time. The staff was extremely hospitable and warm. We were promptly shown through the formal ball room (1930's historic mansion) with the venitian chandelier,to our room. I've stayed at many bed and breakfasts and this one is truly my favorite in Arkansas. The room had a beautiful view of the lake and formal gardens. I couldn't believe I was in the southern region of the United States, because it has such a European Feel. The Home it's self is huge and styled like medittranean villa with a courtyard. I stayed in the Jackie R room. Beautiful canopy bed with a large whirlpool tub, huge balcony, beautiful amoure. The Estate person, checked us in showed us around with extensive history of the house! Breakfast was fabulous!
Eggs benedict, Potato pancakes, strawberries and cream.
Served to Our Room! My husband wanted dinner in the room We had an excellent Silverado Cab. I ordered a wonderful salad with a house dressing, filet mignon, fresh baked bread and dessert, a chocolate mousse. My husband had Lobster and Mousse as well.
It was warm enough to sit on the balcony and enjoy the
Veiw.
We stayed 2 nights and will be back

• Stayed November 2005
shreveport LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2006

I just had to write this review so another couple will not spend their hard earned dollars for this "ROACH MOTEL"....................
My wife and I spent 2 VERY uncomfortable nights in a very expensive room!!! The bugs were horrible!!!!!

The breakfasts were the same as an IHOP or WAFFLE HOUSE!! They were short order!! Some friends of ours had tried to get us to stay at the WILDWOOD and we decided on the Hamilton House. BIG MISTAKE!!!
The management could care less and the beds were the cheapest beds we have EVER slept on!! The Restaurant prices were WAY too much money for what you got!!!!

I have heard nothing but wonderful comments about the "Wildwood" and believe me that is where we are headed when we save up enough money!!!!!!!
From what I have heard,,,,the mamagement of this place needs to learn some lessons on how to run a B&B from the owners of the Wildwood!!
I have nothing good to say about the Hamilton House---except do NOT go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Look at how many reviews other B&B's have and then look at the Hamilton House.........Hmmmmmmmmm????

• Stayed December 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2005

For starters our room was $180 a night and the B&B's dinner entrees start at $30 a plate. For these prices you expect quality and customer service.

We checked into this B&B on a Friday night. We were both tired and had just driven up to Hot Springs after work, in need of some R&R. After dinner, we headed to our room for dinner and found it infested with bugs. In addition to at least 100 mosquitoes, there was a cockroach climbing on the bathroom wall. (We were being charged $180 a night for this room.) My boyfriend complained to the staff about the bugs and was given a can of Raid outdoor fogger to handle the problem himself. The can said that it shouldn't be sprayed indoors and could be bad for your health. So, we sprayed our bed linens with a can of Off and put on bug spray before going to bed. When we got into bed, the bed was terribly uncomfortable because their was a plastic cover on the matress (the kind you would use for a child who wets the bed). In the morning, my boyfriend woke up and had at least 10 very nasty bug bites. Neither of us had gotten much sleep. He started to feel ill from the lack of sleep and had a bad headache.
The next evening we made a reservation at the B&B's restaurant, which the staff told us had once been 4 diamond rated. The restaurant has two floors with 2 large dining rooms and quite a number of tables. When we ordered our drinks we were the only table in this large restaurant. The hostess than sat a extremely loud table directly next to us. They were so loud that my boyfriend and I could not hear each other speak. We asked to be moved, and were moved just two tables away. We could still hear every word of the other tables conversation. At this point, I complained to both the hostess and the manager. They did not offer me any solution. We complained to the waitress who said the only choice was to bring the food up to our room. Our room was very small, did not have a table and was infested with insects. We declined and asked to cancel our order. At this point we had been in the restaurant for over an hour, and our food had not been served. We left the restaurant with our soups, salads and cocktails untouched.

My boyfriend decided to leave the B&B because he had simply had enough. He complained to the manager about the bugs and the terrible service in the restaurant. At this point she charged him full price for the room for two nights, although there were bugs and we were checking out before staying for the second night. Also, we would not be having breakfast on Sunday morning. Additionally, she charged us $70 for the dinner that we did not have, and handed us our entrees in a styrafoam box. We tried to eat the food, but it wasn't that good and we ended up feeding it to our dog.

Don't stay here if you like good service. This is a good place to spend $500 to get mosquito bites and high blood pressure.

• Stayed September 2005
Memphis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2005

Last weekend my boyfriend and I had to make a last minute trip to Hot Springs to pick up some some art we had purchased a few weeks before. During our previous trip we stayed at the Wildwood B&B, based on the reviews on this site, and boy was it great! Unfortunatley due to the last minute nature of our most recent trip, Wildwood did not have a vacancy. Darn! I think I checked every hotel and B&B in Hot Springs (listed on tripadvisor) but wasn't able to find anything that wasn't a double bed or a smoking room! So just surfing the 'net, I stumbled onto the Hamilton House and WOW!!!! It cost an arm and a leg, but it was SO WORTH IT!

Hamilton House is a well respected restaurant located in an old mansion right in the middle of Lake Hamilton. The restaurant is downstairs and there are 5 rooms (more like suites) upstairs. Two of the suites are huge and cost $350 a night - too rich for my blood. The other three rooms are $200 per night. My boyfriend and I stayed in the nicest of the three, the Jacquelyn. The room had a comfortable king bed, realy cool lighting on the ceiling, was furnished with lovely antiques, had a modern bathroom with whirlpool tub and shower, a sitting area, and a secret passageway to a private deck overlooking the grounds and the lake. We accidently left the door leading to the deck ajar on our first night, and woke up in the morning to a lovely chorus of birds chirping! When we sat up in bed we could easily see out of a pair of windows onto the lake - what a view! One day of our trip it rained the whole day, and we read in bed and watched the storm over the lake all afternoon.

Our first morning we had breakfast in the restaurant, in front of a big picture window, listening to Nora Jones. It was cooked to order, they told us they would fix whatever we wanted - after all they have a chef on site! I ordered eggs benedict with hashbrowns and my boyfriend oredered biscuits & gravy with eggs and sausage. They went all out with the OJ, coffee, danishes, fruit, etc - it was as lavish as any other B&B breakfast as I've had, except maybe at the Wildwood. Both breakfasts were so good that we ordered the exact same thing the next morning, but we asked for it in our room - how great to have that option! Sometimes you just don't feel like dressing up a going downstairs at x o'clock, you know?

The innkeeper, Ellen, was so nice and helpful. We ate at the restaurant Saturday night, since it was raining and we didn't feel like going out in the mess, and what a great decision we made. I had the scallops and my boyfriend the ribeye, and it was very elegant. The restaurant was full but up in our room we heard nothing of it. It's an upscale restaurant, so the conversations and service are quiet. We DID get to hear a bit of the music from a wedding they had on site during the afternoon, and that was kind of neat. In fact, the whole experience was really unique, in that we felt we were part of the family while we were there. As if we had some sort of privileged, insider knowledge of the place, which I guess we did.

Wonderful as the Wildwood was, and despite the great reviews of some other Hot Springs B&Bs that I haven't visited yet, my boyfriend and I decided we'll stay at the Hamilton House on our next visit. It was the neatest, most relaxing, most pampering experience I could ever want!

Here's the website:

(---)

Hamilton House Bed & Breakfast
132 Van Lyell Terrace
Hot Springs, AR 71913
(---)

Been to Hamilton House Estate? Share your experiences!