“excellent location for pets” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Happy Hollow Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hot Springs
Happy Hollow Motel
You added Happy Hollow Motel to your Saves list
231 Fountain St, Hot Springs, AR 71901   |
Ranked #27 of 38 Hotels in Hot Springs
Pembroke, Maine
“excellent location for pets”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed at the Happy Hollow 4 nights by myself with 2 dogs. My room was clean and comfortable.
The paint was fresh and it did not have any bad smells. I did not see any bugs anywhere. It's an old motel, currently for sale for $750,000. It has an old village feel about it. All of the rooms are in a horse shoe with balconies overhanging the parking lot and folks calling back and forth to each other from their porches and balconies. Nothing goes unnoticed. The location was excellent for the dogs as the National Park Trails are just across the street. The location was also superb for walking over to the bathhouse, a short 10 minute walk through the park. The Happy Hollow mineral fountain is 1/2 block up the street and I enjoyed fresh mineral water from there all week. I was in Room 8, a small room without a private patio on the 1st floor in a corner. It had a nice new medium sized refrigerator, new microwave, and a new coffeepot. The air conditioner was on it's last breath however. I couldn't decide if it sounded more like a plane taking off or a motorcycle coming through the wall. But it cooled the room. The Hungarian owner/manager, an older woman, was friendly enough when I checked in but was quite gruff when I was late checking out. The thing I hated the most about staying here was the son/nephew/brother/hired hand who seemed to always be about staring and not speaking, not smiling. He kept going back and forth past my room without speaking. Gave me the creeps! Overall, it was a perfect place for the dogs with easy access to great hiking. I paid an extra $20 per night for the dogs ($10 each). Since there is no easy place to park in Hot Springs and get to the bathhouse , I really enjoyed not having to deal with parking and enjoyed walking through the park. Would I stay here again? It depends. If I had a group of friends and we hung on the balconies together, maybe. If I had dogs again, probably. But if I was by myself or just with my husband, we'd most likely stay in one of the other downtown hotels or in the place that is now being renovated on Fountain Street. It has the similar 1950's styling and looks like it will be great.

Room Tip: Choose an upstairs room with a balcony
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Mountain Home, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Grooooossss!!!! It was awful. The worst place ever. I stayed there 2 times in 2004/2005 and it was fine, a little old, but good. We went back in March 2012 and there was new owners, and it was just gross. The sheets weren't clean, it stank of carpet freshener and smoke. They were really unfriendly too. But, they did give us our money back with out saying a word.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

First of all the room was terribly hot, so the first night we did not sleep well. We went and bought a box fan and set it up the next morning to help cool the room while we explored the area. We came back to our room to find the fan turned off and sat on the floor. If it was maid service they didn't do anything to the room: bed still unmade, towels on the floor. We also found a strange piece of paper in our bed(someones grocery list). The next day we went running around Hot Springs and again we came back to uneasiness!!!! The door was unlocked---my husband locked it and I had double checked it before we left the hotel grounds. STill no maid service had come by, bed unmade, towels on the floor. I had decided to take my laptop with me, so if anyone had decided to take anything it would have been clothes. We decided to search the room and found old socks under our bed, talk about unclean. They use keys(copied from Walmart) on the doors!!!!! Makes me wonder how many people have a key to the room. Will not stay here every again!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Forest Hill, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I had the most relaxing experience in this place. The staff (a very nice couple ) was friendly and helpful. The room was clean, cool, furnished with all I needed and most of all quiet. I would recommend this little "off the beaten path" motel to all my friends. It is a very old place but clean and bug-free. It was a pleasure to stay there for 3 days and 2 nights. I will be back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011 via mobile

I would definitely not recommend this motel to any of my friends or family. While the location is great - right next to the park - and the room did have a kitchenette, these ameneties do not make up for the negatives. The rooms are old (the room had a VCR!) and need some serious cleaning. Our room (and I'm assuming the rest of the place) had roaches! I found one crawling in the bed I had just slept in when I lifted the sheet to take it off for the cleaning person. Overall, I do not recommend this place!

• Stayed August 2011
Trenton, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

I was quoted 50 bucks a night over the phone so we stopped to check it out. The room was very old but rather large with kitchenette having, full sized fridge, electric stove and oven, micro, toaster, plates, bowls, real glasses and silverware. these amenities made up for the blatantly semen stained comforters. We decided it was old and grimy but ok... until we returned later that night. We walked in and found cock roaches saying hello.. they were so many. i was like 'its ok its only a couple bugs' my wife said no!!! they are like cops where there is one there are always plenty more. before leaving i took a walk to center myself and muster up the courage to get refunded. i walked up the sidewalk towards the happy hollow spring and the sidewalk was covered with roaches as well. They are infested to say the least. Outside the main office where the owners live is even lays a can of raid on the window sill. Raid isn't gonna cut it there! this place needs a professional bug man. its sad cause it would be a great place for people on a budget that want to cook for themselves. Also the location is fabulous right next to the park...But hey if you are already acclimated to living with roaches its still a great place for what you get.. also, they owner tried to withhold some funds but didnt and i was refunded in full. he didnt even try to argue about the cockroaches. lol!

Room Tip: spend more than 50 bucks if you can. try 65-85
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

I first stumbled on the Happy Hollow after my beloved Majestic (sister hotel to the Arlington) closed. I loved the Majestic for the same reasons I love the Happy Hollow. ITS DIFFERENT!!! If you want a chain hotel with an indoor pool, jacuzzi and on-site restaurant, then this is not the place for you. If you want every room to be exactly the same and to be corporately polished, then this place is not for you. BUT... If you want a little hidden gem right in the middle of everything, eclectically decorated (possibly from your great aunt's garage sale), enjoying a complimentary snack basket upon arrival, all the video tapes you can watch and a great value especially for someone traveling with a 4 legged critter, then this is the place for you. It is an older motel late 40's-ish (I guess)style motor court and yes it has not had a full remodel since who knows when, but that is part of the charm. When was the last time you had glass blocks in the bathroom wall? A screened door to let in the clean mountain air? Each room having its own little porch that overlooks the happenings all while enjoying free wifi? So if you are a free spirit, adventurer, go with the flow kind of person than this is the place for you. If you want fold down service, valet parking and a concierge then look somewhere else stuffed shirt. :-)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Happy Hollow Motel? Share your experiences!