“Dry cupcakes, dirty place, wasted money” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 235 Restaurants in Hot Springs
Cuisines: Dessert
Louisiana
“Dry cupcakes, dirty place, wasted money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

We saw cards for the cupcake shop at our hotel and thought it was a cute name. I've never been to a cupcake shop, and since they are all the rave on Food Network, thought it would be a cool place to check out. We found it in a great location on Central Avenue next to the homemade soap place. They pushed it on us pretty hard, (turns out they own it, too) so we decided to try a cupcake. Now, it was the day after Thanksgiving, so maybe the cupcakes were several days old or something, but they were so dry they were not edible. There are two tables in amidst the back rubble and trash, we sat at one and 2 other ladies were at the other. They threw their cupcakes away, too. There were fruit flies in the display case, and when I told the girl behind the counter, she didn't even try to get them out, she turned up the refrigeration and said that usually gets them. I saw one land on the strawberry topped cupcake, but luckily it didn't stick, due to the icing being too hard and dry, I'm sure. Both the girl behind the counter and the one who was back and forth from the window announcing that she was the decorator kept pushing their hair back with thier hands and fiddling with their faces and then touching the food. It really grossed me out. It is a cute idea, but a health code violation nightmare. There were lemon cupcakes with lavender icing and lavender flowers, cute idea, but the lady across from us threw hers out. I was going to trythe strawberry toppedone but no one knew what kind of cake was inside, then the fly landed on it anyway. I got the chocolate on chocolate. I love chocolate, and its hard to mess it up. This was the driest thing I have ever tried to eat, icing also hard as a rock. It actually cracked when I bit into it. There was also something large and hard inside the cupcake. I spit it out and did not try to chew it, so your guess is as good as mine as to what it was. Hardened filling? A blob of a Hershey's kiss? It was a gross turn off, either way. My cousin got the vanilla on vanilla, she threw it out after the first bite and said I didn't want to know. It was expensive and tasted bad. They were not even decorated cute, she just baked them in parchment paper and blobbed the icing right into the paper. It is a cute concept with a cute name and good promotion, being ran in a much less than sanitary fashion, offering stale, dry, tasteless, plain Jane cupcakes at a crazy price. Maybe they can get away with it for a while because its a tourist town and no one is expected to come back? If the operators were to take a sanitation class, and a baking and decorating class and perhaps hire a professional up front, they have the opportunity to be a success story. What it did for me was make me afraid to ever waste my time and money in a cupcake shop again. I believe if you offer only one thing, it should be a great thing. I expected fresh cupcakes, and if it was due to them not wanting the case empty after the holiday that they left the old dry ones in there, I hope they learn from the mistake. It would have been much better to have only a dozen of one flavor in a clean case, fresh and tasty, than to offer bad product and chance ruining their reputation, which is what happened with me.

• Visited November 2011