“Very unhappy, watch your back, out $350” 1 of 5 stars

The B Inn
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   316 Park Avenue, Hot Springs, AR   |
Ranked #13 of 21 Hot Springs B&B and Inns
barefootfarmwife
“Very unhappy, watch your back, out $350”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I arrived after dark and am a solo female traveler. First thing I did was ask the friendly staff member if it was safe enough to wander around at night. His response was sure but not too late because a few blocks over it was questionable. Fine, I was tired anyway.

The property itself doesn’t show as much promise as the owners like to think. I’m not paying for potential down the road or for history, I’m paying for a room for a few nights. After dark the place did look sketchy but I do have a sense of adventure. I met a guy who lived 2 doors down from my room, as in, lives in the motel full time. Eclectic atmosphere or not that isn’t generally a sign of good things to come.

My room was well decorated and indeed was charming. The building is old and in need of updating but those things are excusable. However, and this is a HUGE however, the door to the room had a lock in the handle, the kind you turn the center of the knob like an interior bathroom door. The door itself was not solid wood, again like an interior door. These features were obviously original to the property and a sign of better times, 50 years ago. Once inside there was a flip latch attached to a loose door frame. An exterior door with no deadbolt, yay. I am not exaggerating when I say that a drunk could stumble into the door and tear it off the wall.

I didn’t feel safe, simple as that. I did not want to stay, that should be my choice after a simple inspection of the room. It did not meet my needs, sorry.

The front counter guy got the owner for me who apparently lives on property. Although he denied any frustration it was obvious he was insulted by my desire to leave. It’s his actual HOME and I wasn’t impressed, nice... He expressed how it is a very safe area and that he never had any other complaints, everyone likes it there. Well, I am not everyone, thank you. Also, after the clerk warned me the last thing I wanted to do was spend a “relaxing” trip wondering which of them was right.

I did get my spa fees refunded as these had not yet been secured with the spa, fine. However, I was not entitled to a refund for my stay due to their cancellation policy. Here is where I am a bit unhappy. I didn’t cancel last minute, as in, changed my mind and went to Tahiti instead. I did show up in good faith with every intention to uphold my end of the deal. I inspected the room and did not find it to be suitable, which should be my prerogative, picky or not. (I am not) To be fair the owner did offer a different room but honestly it doesn't change the fact that the worker told me the area was sketchy. I did not drive all day just to be a flake upon arrival pal.

No thanks.

I pretended to be okay with everything so I could nope out of there asap. It was obvious the owner was not in a mood to be fair to my side of things and it was very awkward. He was so literally red in the face that I ended up apologizing.

I told them to apply my rain check to the guy who lives there full time, he obviously needed the help. There is no way I would go back. $350 down the drain. I am a budget traveler so the $350 hit to the wallet is not something I would take lightly.

The owner wasn’t the least bit apologetic for ruining my trip. I didn’t have the funds to go elsewhere. Had to crash land at my husbands convention 2 states away after 14 hours on the road. I didn't have the funds or energy to be playing Diva, this place was not what it seemed on it's website. Check my other reviews, I am always fair.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
fredericksburg,tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We loved this place, quaint, unique, like my bedroom as a kid...a long time ago..You check in at the store on the street and then go up a small hill to your room. Now the store reminded me of my neighbor grocery in the 50's stocked with a great variety of organic and fresh foods. The bagels were really good as was the coffee. There were tables to sit at and some interesting folks to talk to. Very convenient to every thing we wanted to visit while in Hot Springs. Also the yellow lab may welcome you, beautiful potted plants outside...loved it!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Oran, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I read some reviews first before booking this room and checked out the website, so I knew what to expect. The price was great for what you get. Very clean.

If we ever get to come back to Hot Springs, we will book a room with The B Inn again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Quinton, Oklahoma, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Ok we read the reviews from a lot of others. Yes this is not a 5 star hotel.. BUT if you want a place that has history, super service, and a VERY good place to get natural organic food this is your place. They have a bagle and lox that is to die for. Also it is within walking distance (1/2 mile) from bath house row. My wife and I came in at 10:30 on Sat. 11-9-2013 even though check in time is not till 3 we were given the keys even though we didn't ask for them. We spent 2 1/2 days walking around seeing the sites. We couldn't take in all that was there. We have decided to come back again soon but stay for a week. You can get discount tickets to the Quapaw bath house when you reserve your room. All the commits about the BATES hotel yes I must admit it did remind me of it, BUT it will be a really cool place after they get it done. All the books and nic nacs make it seem like your at home. If you want a 5 star and pay 5 star prices don't go here, BUT if you an experence this is the place. All I can say about this place is IT ROCKS.

Room Tip: we had the travel room. had 2 rooms with queen bed refer. microwave, sink few dishes couch and tv. L...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Tunica, Mississippi, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I'm a History nut, so I booked the History Room. I have spent lots of time in Libraries, so the books were a wonderful addition to the overall plan. I've seen this old Mansion on the hill for a lot of years; and would love to see it back to its original glory. We traveled in the fall, & had a clear view of the mountain behind Bathhouse Roll. The lobby is located in the "local" farmers market with a nice selection. I shall return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Red Bay, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Kind of quirky but clean! We had the "Mystery Room" and it was great room for the price.
No funky old smell to the room.
Breakfast was a $10 credit at the barkery next to the hotel. Lots of fresh baked items to choose from.
If you are looking to save a few $$$$ and a clean room, this is the place for you!
Walking distance to all of the bath houses and shops.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed one night in the rustic room. Delightfully kooky atmosphere. Room was clean (smelled of pine-sol), high quality sheets, comfortable, nicely remodeled. We used the ten dollar credit for breakfast at the adjacent restaurant: Pastries were excellent. A very nice change from standard cookie-cutter hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The B Inn? Share your experiences!