“Garlic Bread Doesn't Come With Lasagna??” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Minden, Louisiana
“Garlic Bread Doesn't Come With Lasagna??”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We ate dinner at Angels Italian Restaurant and it was quite disappointing. I ordered the lasagna for my husband & I to share & a 14 inch pizza for our boys. The menu said the lasagna came with a bread basket and normally you get quite a large serving of lasagna so I figured with a piece of pizza each this would be plenty. The bread basket came out a good while before the food. I was expecting that good garlic toast you normally get with lasagna at any Italian restaurant. What I got was a basket with untoasted, cold, thicker cut plain white bread. There were several rectangular wrapped hard stick type butter in the basket that you had to spread on the bread yourself. This was difficult because the butter was hard & the bread wasn't toasted. I asked the waitress if I could have some garlic seasoning for this bread and she said no, this is the bread that comes with the lasagna. If I wanted garlic toast, I'd have to order it extra. That would have been nice to know when I was ordering the lasagna. I expected at an Italian restaurant ordering lasagna, the bread I was getting would be garlic bread. It did not say garlic bread would be extra. She asked if I wanted to order the garlic bread for an extra charge & I said no. I wasn't paying extra for bread I should be getting already. Then the lasagna came out. It was a pretty small portion not even as big as my hand. My husband asked me if wanted to order another one but I said no. I did not want to wait for it. The waitress asked if we wanted to split it ourselves. If she put half of it on the plate for us, it would be a 3.50 extra charge. I said we'd do it. I saw on the menu it said there would be a 3.50 charge for sharing a plate. My husband said they probably give you more food when you share so that's probably why they charge extra. This was not the case. The pizza was a really thin crust and tasted average. We ordered a 14 inch pizza, one order of lasagna, 2 cokes for our boys and 2 waters for my husband & I. Our ticket was 40.05. The food we got was not worth the price. I have never seen plain old cold light bread served with lasagna like that at an Italian restaurant. It was even more disappointing that the waitress told me I couldn't even have any garlic salt to season it. Don't waste your time or money.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Shreveport, Louisiana
“Always good pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We try to eat at Angel's every time we visit Hot Springs. We love the brick oven pizza and have never ventured out for the Italian dishes. The staff here are very friendly and accommodating. They actually have a pretty decent wine list.

Shreveport, Louisiana
“Too Pricey for What You Get”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Like everything on Central Avenue, this place is a lot of hype and the price to match. The crab cakes were ok, but smothered in a tomato sauce that overshadowed the taste of the seafood. The chicken salad had four miserable bits of chicken on a bed of lettuce for 10.95 so that was more than disappointing. We won't be back.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Houston
“An eclectic place with good Italian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Convenient location close to the bath houses with pretty good food. We've had the pizza here before & it was really good, so we came back to try something different. I had the French onion soup & it was good. I split a calzone with my wife & it was very fresh & not just a piece of pizza folded over; it was authentic. Their salads are very fresh & ample. There is a cool eclectic decor inside. We would eat here again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Real Italian food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I walked into this restaurant and based on the smell I could tell it was not your typical Italian place. Being from a large city with real Italian restaurants at every turn, I'm confidenent in my assesment of good Italian, something thats not usually found south of Interstate 80. Great staff in this place, not the average giant,wide open dining room. A very small space, more intimate. Food was delicious, service was superb!

• Visited October 2013