“Relaxing in southern comfort” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 31 Attractions in Hot Springs
Type: Historic Sites, Spas, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: The only working bathhouse left on "Bathhouse Row," a popular hot springs bathing area in the 1920s.
New York City, New York
“Relaxing in southern comfort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Visited the City of Hot Springs in Arkansas last Summer and had a unique experience at the Buckstaff. We did the bathtub with water coming from the springs for about 20 minutes, the the hot towels on the table for 10 minutes. After that I was taken to a metal box for a steam bath, only a few minutes, its very hot! After that I was taken to a low and tiny tub for a sitz bath and finnally the needle shower that shoots horizontal streams of water in every direction. What a great feeling you get after all of this, it stays with you for several days! I enjoyed the privacy,cleanliness, experienced and professional staff, the history of the place and the price! Too bad I live so far away, or I will be there every week! I wiil go again this summer just for that awsome feeling.

Visited July 2012

4 attraction reviews
“Worth the experience but not much else”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

We are glad we went because its one of those things that you want to be able to say you did it.....but other than that I wasn't really impressed. My bath attendant Julie was excellent and was quick to put me at ease about running around in just a sheet! (not something done often in public) but all in all I am not sure that its something I would do again. I think its more about the experience to say you did it than anything else. Also the Paraffin hand wax was over rated for sure. I was sat down in the lobby with the wax on my hands while workers were talking and chatting right there. Not really the relaxing spa experience I expected. My friend had the massage and she said it was disappointing but she was also overall happy with the experience. It was also priced reasonable to me and I understand its been there for a very long time so we kept that in mind.

Pine Bluff, Arkansas
4 attraction reviews
“A Must See!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was my first spa/bathhouse experience and I must say that it was an awesome experience. The staff is super friendly, and you have to appreciate the original/antique feel of the bathhouse. You get a lot for $64 in my opinion (loofah, 20 minutes in hot tub, 20 minutes warm towel wrap, 10 minute sitz bath, and 20 minute swedish style massage), but they also offer manicures, pedicures, parrafin mask, facials, and other services. The men and women are on separate levels. My only complain is that if you go in a group, you will be separated eventually (but its still worth the trip). Also plan to go early, because they are super busy and wait times in between each service is longer the more customers they have.

Visited February 2013
NEW YORK
7 attraction reviews
“Treat yourself to a special experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Of all the places to visit on Bathhouse Row, you must take yourself to the Buckstaff! For only $64, you will get an amazing trip to the past.

First, one enters the gorgeous historic Buckstaff. You check in at the marble front desk and choose either a free loofah mitt, or splurge and get a mitt with the Buckstaff logo on it for only $4 more.

After a ride in the beautiful elevator, you are ushered in to the appropriate-gender side, complete with exquisite tile floor, where you go to a personal changing room (see my picture, which I probably was not allowed to take!). Then stow your clothes in an old-time locker (wearing a bathing suit is optional). The helpful room attendant will then wrap you in several sheets. After a wait, your personal attendant brings you to a huge bathtub, which is drawn specially for you. It contains the thermal "waters" which are 143 degrees but mixed with cool water. The bathtub has a whirpool unit and you are left there, floating for quite a while. Then the attendant returns to wash you with your loofah.

You are escorted out of the bathtub and onto a massage table, where you get up to four "hot packs" -- hot towels which are wrapped wherever on your body you indicate (neck, legs, back, etc.). After leaving you to relax for about 10 minutes, the attendant unwraps you and puts you in an individual sitz bath. The next step is to enter into the vapor bath, one of those metal boxes you've seen in movies. They only let you stay there for a few minutes, which is all you'll need.

Then you are brought into the needle shower for a few more minutes. Lastly, get yourself that Swedish massage (which I forgot to do!). If you don't want the massage, it's only $30.

I mostly thought about all the hundreds of thousands of people who have "taken the waters" like this for over 100 years. It may not cure all of your ills but it will be a bath you will never forget!

Visited June 2012
Memphis, Tennessee
6 attraction reviews
“Been there and will be back again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

In 1994 I had a cough I could not shake. I took an extended weekend off work and headed out. No amount of antibiotics could shake this bronchitis, something had to give! I took one bath and it was educating and invigorating. I went again the next day. The cough was gone. I am a believer and have stopped in Buckstaff every time I am in Hot Springs area since. It is an old marble authentic bath house. The ghosts of generations past are everywhere in the building. I was well attended from the moment I entered the building. Men left, women upstairs. Lockers and you keep the key. Bathe, hot steam room, hot wrap and a massage if you buy one.
One thing, no kids under 16 are allowed. This is NOT published and I raised hell with the tourist bureau. It is a good reasonable rule, but publish it. Highly Recommended for the achey breakys.

Visited November 2012