“Historic = Nostalgia, Get with it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hot Springs
Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa
You added Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
239 Central Ave., Hot Springs, AR 71901   |
Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Hot Springs
Bear Valley, California
“Historic = Nostalgia, Get with it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

My husband and I lived in Russellville, AR for a few years. We would make trips to Hot Springs often to play. The Arlington is a majestic, OLD, HISTORIC place to be. No it is not the up to date, or pampering type hotel, but that is why it holds charm. I don't know what everyone expects when they visit an old hotel. It is NOT run-down, nor is it in perfect condition. I think it was romantic, historic, from a different era, which is what we all need sometimes...I find reading a lot of reviews that people should complain if they have a nasty experience, but if you plan a trip to a historic place, be prepared to enjoy the HISTORY and AGE of things.....that's what makes it great! I love this place, and would go back again and again!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
West Monroe, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

My husband and I are frequent travelers to Hot Springs, Arkansas but had never stayed at the Arlington. After reviewing their website, we decided to book a stay at the hotel. We were extremely excited that we would be staying in a historic hotel where Presidents and celebrities had stayed.

When we arrived at the hotel, we were unsure where we were to park so we turned into what we thought was Arlington parking. I stopped and asked the gentleman if this was the Arlington parking and was told that it was valet parking only. When I asked how much, he replied $15.00 a night. I guess I didn’t reply fast enough because he said, ”why don’t you just turn around and park down the block” and handed me a red tag. Not quite the greeting I expected but I thought anybody could be having a bad day.

We found the parking building down the block and after much ado, we were able to wedge our way into a parking space. The parking building was nasty. There was paper and garbage on each floor. The one ramp was extremely narrow and was used for both up and down traffic. The turn from the second floor to the third floor was nearly 360. I had to go back to the first floor, turn around in the entrance and go back up the ramp to the third floor. I have a mid-size car so it wasn't that my car was too big. We unloaded our one rolling bag and walked down the sidewalk to the hotel.

There were no other guests at the check-in desk and we were able to get our room keys in about 5 minutes which was great because we were anxious to get to our room and relax a bit after driving over 4 hours. We were assigned to room 530. While we waited on the elevator, we looked at the hotel lobby and were pleased that we had chosen the Arlington.

Once we reached our room, the troubles started and disappointment set in. It took us 2 or 3 minutes simply to open the door as the lock didn’t seem to want to open. My husband had to pull on the door in order to get the lock to turn. We didn’t complain because to us this was a minor thing, at the time. We had the problem with the doorlock each and every time we went into the room.

We opened the door and immediately saw wrinkled, dirty and torn wallpaper, dusty moulding, a bleached out spot on the carpet and markings on the wall. All this and we hadn’t gotten very far into the room. As we got into the room itself, we could see that it was just as bad as the entry. The furniture had scuffed marks all over the bottoms and edges. I understand that things get scuffed but there were a lot of marks. There were marks and rust on the wall and cracks everywhere.

My husband pulled the curtains back to see what kind of view we had and you could, literally, see dust flying from the curtains. The paint was peeling around the windows and flaking off.

When we turned towards the door again, we could see the wires around the door facing. Even more marks were visible on the walls because of the sunlight coming from the open curtains. We could also see bugs on the walls and ceiling. They were ladybugs but they were still bugs.

The bathroom was little better. In order to close the shower door, you had to almost slam it. The door to the bathroom itself was the same way. Behind the bathroom door on the righthand side, there was hair and dirt on the wall. The corner underneath the sink was busted. On the ceiling, you could see a large crack. There were also ladybugs on the walls and ceiling in the bathroom.

It was getting late and we were hungry so we left our room. It was our intention to stop at the front desk and complain. However, there were several people at the desk waiting to check in and many people in the lobby. By the time we made it back to the hotel later that evening, we were so very tired. All evening and throughout the night, we could hear everything around us. It was very irritating.

The next morning, we both woke up with stuffy noses and a headache which we contributed to the dust and dirt from the room. I left housekeeping a note asking that they please clean the room thoroughly and leave more washclothes as there was only one when we arrived.

We spent the entirety of the day touring Hot Springs and we fully expected to come back to a cleaner room since we had left our note. That was definitely not the case. It looked like the only thing that housekeeping had done was pick up our dirty towels, wash out the coffee pot and make up the bed. The dust was still everywhere and the hair was still on the bathroom wall and floor. We had a handtowel, two towels and no washclothes. It was still just as dirty as when we left that morning. We called housekeeping and got no answer. I called the front desk and the person who answered said they were extremely busy and would I hold on. They laid the phone down and never came back on.

Also, when we came back in the hotel for the evening, there were so many people in the lobby that we could hardly walk through. On one side of the lobby is a bar. In the middle is a eating area and on the other side is a live band. People were drinking, eating and dancing all around the lobby and they even spilled over to the second floor lobby. We couldn't have made our way to the front desk.

Had there not been a 24 hour cancellation policy, we would have immediately checked out of the Arlington, asked for a refund and found other accommodations. We were thoroughly disappointed. Also, I knew that there were two other special occasions happening in Hot Springs that weekend and I was worried that we wouldn't be able to secure other accommodations if we did, indeed, leave the Arlington.

The next morning, we were downstairs and ready to check out around 10:00 a.m. Again, there were quite a few people at the front desk and a lady behind the desk pointed to the express checkout key slot without ever saying a word to us. We needed to get back home to our son who was staying with family and, given the fact that we had an over 4 hour drive ahead of us, we were, simply put, ready to leave. I picked up a comment card and slid our keys into the express checkout slot.

We travel within the United States quite a bit and I can honestly say that I am most disappointed with the Arlington. So much so that I took numerous pictures just to document how bad the condition of the room was. I am enclosing a CD containing the pictures so that I could send them to the hotel manager. The condition of the room was deplorable.

Had we not been so busy and not had so little time to spend in Hot Springs, I would have demanded a full refund immediately. As it was, we were trying to make the best out of a miserable situation.

Our total bill was $201.14 for just two nights. While this is not a huge amount of money, it is our hard earned money. I felt it was definitely not money well spent.

I immediately came home and wrote a letter to the manager. I sent a CD containing over 50 pictures of the room. I sent it certified mail so that I would know they had gotten it. Two weeks rolled around and no response. I sent them an email and expressed my disappointment that no one from the hotel had the decency to respond to my letter. I received a return email the next day apologizing for the condition and that they had looked at the pictures. They said they are going to refund us our entire bill. I haven't seen the refund come through yet. But, it does go to show you that the general manager realizes how disgusting the room was.

I would never ever recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

I have stayed in many historic hotels. I don't mind, and actually enjoy, old plumbing and door latches. But the bedspreads and carpet looked to be a good 30 years old. Faded and rarely, if ever, cleaned. We found the beds to tip down at the head and sink near to the floor when sat on. We requested a room with better beds and they complied. The stale dirty odor was horrible throughout the hotel. The clanking piano in the dining room was an insult and torture to anyone with taste. The bar is actually right in the lobby and robbed anyone from enjoying the historic surroundings in the evening, the sick aroma of pop-corn and alcohol filled the air. Tacky, dime store, holiday decorations distracted from the opulance of the lobby. Coffee shop closed at 4 PM, what?? Management was clearly operating in an earlier decade as far as basic services. No free internet in the room. TV channel function was out dated and gave the option on adult movies... oh my. Tacky, poor taste, overpriced, cheap quality!!! They quoted a price of $95 on the phone after asking me how many people, once we arrived and our luggage was in the possession of the bell hop and car on the way to the garage, we are told it will be $155, due to the number of people. When I told the clerk of the quote on the phone, the response was cold and uncaring; she just continued to check us in. We complied only out of weariness from travel. The Arlington survives only on hype. The Arlington Resort & Spa is a sham, when a 40 year old Holiday Inn is more comfortable and accommodating.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Fayetteville, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

The Arlington is 84 years old, and it could use a major renovation. But, it has the ultimate location in historic Hot Springs, and it has a certain charm....even with water stains on the lobby's vaulted ceiling. Currently on display in the lobby is Al Capone armour plated 1928 Cadillac. The guest rooms are OK. The TVs are old and mine had a poor quality picture. And, the walls are thin. I could never get the Internet service to work, and calls to the provider were not answered. But, if like to step back into the 1930s, you might enjoy a stay at the Arlington.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

Kudos to the marketing staff for this hotel...the advertising for this historic hotel leads you to believe you are going somewhere really special. You're not. From my lopsided bed to the crickets everywhere to the musty odor, this was a hotel I'd rather forget. The ballroom was a lovely venue for a wedding reception, though.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Colleyville, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

I can honestly say that I have stayed in better sleeping rooms at hotels in 3rd world countries. If you stay at this hotel, you will look back at my review and totally understand what I mean.

Location is excellent, and the free breakfast was very nice.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Ennis, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

We were 4 couples on a motorcycle trip through Arkansas and surrounding states. We try to look for unique places to stay and the Arlington fit the profile! Lots of history, close to many things to see and do. The in-house spa was a nice experience, and an elegant old world charm that is beginning to show her age. I liked parking our motorcycles in the valet parking area for security reasons. The lobby was a madhouse! There was a convention going on and the restaurants were over-loaded that night so we went to the Fish Net about 25 miles south on highway 7, one of the best seafood places around! Well worth the ride! The complementary breakfast the next morning was great!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!