“Fun place to be!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Folly

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pottuvil
The Folly
You added The Folly to your Saves list
Main Road, Pottuvil, Arugam Bay 32500, Sri Lanka (Formerly Samantha's Folly)   |
Ranked #1 of 22 Pottuvil B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“Fun place to be!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We spent 3 nights at Samantha's and what strike me the most is the warm personality of Sam. She welcome every one like a member of her big family! She knows how to make you comfortable and is always happy to help you with any questions. The open concept of the little resort, the communal table create a very relax atmosphere and for sure you will make new friends! A step away is the sandy beach with huge waves! Its a surfing place so if it's your sport its your spot! The kitchen is really good and so are the prices. The cabanas are basic and the follies a good option if you want to sleep under the stars just beside de ocean! I will suggest this place for surfers, backpackers who are looking for such friendly place to meet up other travellers and great people.

Room Tip: If you fancy a night under the starts with some comfort - choose the follies! If you budget allows...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Perth, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at Samantha's Folly in March 2013. We wished we could've stayed longer! A fantastic place to relax. Samantha and Kumar made us feel like part of the family and we loved the communal table where everyone ate together. A MUST if you're visiting Abay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Samantha's Folly was our final stop - we only had 4 days left to play with and planned to have only one day surfing and then to travel back via the hill country. Of course that didn't happen - as soon as we saw the folly on the beach with all its sparkly satins and comfortable cushions we knew that was us until the last possible moment! Samantha was friendly, helpful and very chilled and the atmosphere there was just the same. The food was really good (try the tomato salsas & pitta, the shakshuka for breakfast, oh and the weds night BBQ was delicious). All the staff were lovely. The folly was ideal for us, very comfortable and open so that you can hear the sea all the time. We have been dreaming of it ever since returning to England and are already hoping to return next year! Thanks Samantha, Ella & Jamie (UK & NZ)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kaitaia, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I loved my time at Samantha's folly. From the beginning the experience felt safe and relaxed.
After a long and stressful day of traveling, Sam made me welcome, set me up in a folly (right by the ocean), and feed me.
In the following days she was very helpful with organising activities and giving directions. The environment at Samantha's was very friendly and relax, where I felt included but also had my space to chill out.
Highlights of my stay at Samantha's were the great hospitality, the cheerful and helpful staff, the friendly travellers I meet, the great food, and awesome experience of sleeping in a folly by the ocean!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

From the moment we walked into Samantha's folly we knew we found paradise- a home away from home. The vibe, the location, the follies, everything. If I could give 10 stars I would.

After a rather difficult journey from Ella we decided that we would only stay for 2 nights in aragum bay - and then we found Samantha's and extended day after day until we stayed for 2 weeks. Sitting around the communal table at night created friendships - which have continued.. And the food and vibe is unparalleled. Each night we would sleep in our folly listening to the sound of the waves and yet feeling safe. Samantha is awesome - she goes out of her way to make everyone feel comfortable and her beautiful family make your stay that little bit more special.

There is no doubt about it, I will be back and so will everyone I know who have stayed here.

• Stayed April 2013
Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Samantha's Folly was the perfect place to unpack my bag, and get some much needed R&R after 3 weeks of busing it around Sri Lanka. The intended 3 night stay turned into 8, as I found it difficult to tear myself away from the peaceful beach cabana I had been calling home. It is a prime location directly on the beach. The feeling of being in the midst of one big family is what gives the Folly it's real charm. You don't feel like a guest who is being constantly waited on, but whenever you need anything, there is someone there to help you...with a big smile.

A few positives worth noting...washing machine on-site, bikes, games, hammocks, great food, strong wifi, the sound of the ocean as you sleep. And the puppy, Hero, who will surely keep you on your toes.

I highly recommend kicking your feet up at Samantha's Folly during your trip. I know I will make it back someday :) xoxox Lindsay

• Stayed March 2013
Guernsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The folly was such an incredible surprise, so comfortable, the sound of the ocean to sooth you into lullaby, and as you awaken, with incredible sunrises glimmering through in multi-colours peeping through the chiffon curtains ~ divine. Felt very safe and very comfortable. The staff so welcoming and friendly and can't do enough to help in anyway you need and can organise various excursions on your behalf, or at least point you in the right direction. I really felt like 'part of the family' ~ Highly recommend ~ and if Sam's is full at least stop by for one of the many delicious meals on offer ~ Thank You everyone for making me feel at home, at peace in paradise xx

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Folly? Share your experiences!