“Majestic stay at majestic property” 5 of 5 stars

The Grand Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Grand Hotel Road, Nuwara Eliya 22200, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Nagpur, India
“Majestic stay at majestic property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Beautiful spacious rooms overlooking the golf course, excellent food, great service, comfortable comforters for a wonderful sleep in the chilly weather made our stay excellent.

hire bikes or just sit in the lawn and breath the clean fresh air.

live music at the T restaurant and a cosy little bar adds to the relaxation quotient. a must 'pee' at the washroom on the lobby level... see it to know why i suggested a must visit :)

Room Tip: Must eat the chocolate coated coffee beans kept at the reception counter which is especially made fo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Manager_Grandhotel, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review and we are glad that your stay with us has been most enjoyable. We start each day with the objective of satisfying each and every one of guest, with a brand of service which complements the natural beauty and tranquility of Nuwara Eliya. We thank you for your kind words, and invite you to enjoy our additional services when you visit us next. Best wishes from all at the Grand. Sincerely, Resident Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chandigarh, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed at the grand hotel for 2 nights.

The hotel seemed really quite and I guess some of the floors were under renovation.

Upon arrival the hotel looks very impressive with the lovely gardens and the colonial style feel.
I was quickly escorted to the lobby where we were served some nice vanilla tea with jaggery. Nice touch!

Quickly escorted to the room...here is where it all starts.
The hotel is built in the 18th century and it gives you a lovely feel of the bygone era.
But on closer look at the room it gives a bygone era feel in every possible sense, starting from the torn bed sheets, the wash basin with no stopper, the run down towels, the squeky door, the noise in the room(have no idea where it comes from), the unpolished and tired furniture, the ancient television set, etc. etc.

I mean I enjoy staying in old places which has history, but then at the price you pay you expect a certain luxury. Looking at the rooms closely makes you feel as if you have come to a run down 2 star hotel.

It gets better when you start to go the outlets.
I ordered for a beer and a snack in the evening to my room as the minibar was empty. The guy seriously walks in with a big bottle of lion beer without a glass to my room. The snack is covered with plastic wrap with a salt and pepper paper sachet on top of the plate with no napkin or cutlery.

Later in the evening I go to the bar for a drink and I see atleast 5 to 6 staff members in the bar. I ask for a drink which is presented quickly and we are offered some bombay mix with it. As soon as this ritual is over the entire 5 -6 staff gets busy watching the cricket match playing on the TV. They do not care if you are there or not, they will cheer as each ball goes for a 6.

I later went to the Indian restaurant for dinner where I ordered for some drinks which took a long time to arrive, the waiter apparently forgot one of the drinks. I ordered for a Chicken Thali which was quite nice but the portion of chicken was way to small. And there are no refills in this Thali. So when I asked for some extra and the guy comes and tells me that I will have to order for an extra portion of chicken. I eventually ended up stuffing myself but still wasting half of the chicken, which I hated to do...

Next day I wanted to play some Golf so I asked the reception if they can help me. The answer was very straight forward, we have nothing to do with the Golf course. I need to go and book myself. I asked if they can help me with the rates, the receptionist again replied back that I will have to go and find by myself. Well, if this is the case then the hotel should not write in the service directory about golf and to contact the reception.

There is no Wi-fi in the rooms and there were 2 computers in the lobby in which the internet was not working.

You can see the management team having their meals in the restaurant but no one really speaks to you.

I enjoyed nuwara eliya as a city, a must go....

I do not know what the other hotels are like in the city, but this time the Grand hotel disappointed me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, On behalf of all at the Grand Hotel may I first thank you for giving us a detailed note on our services. At the same time please accept our apologies for not living upto the standard we are known for. Your report has been studied by a lot of people at the hotel, and it has been and eye opener for us. Some of the corrective action has been immediately taken, and we are working on some others. We notice that a lot of the shortfalls mentioned by you can be corrected very easily and quickly, while others will be addressed in our refurbishment program. While we are happy to receive an overwhelming majority of good comments on Trip Advisor and other sources, let me assure you your review is most valuable for us because we are using as a report on our perfromance and working to improve ourselves. The fact that you have taken the time to write this detailed note tells us that you are concerned about us and want us to be better in what we do. Our sincere thanks to you for that. My final request from you is to give us another opportunity to serve you, when you visit Sri Lanka and Nuwara Eliya next. Thanking you, sincerely, Resident Manager.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel in a historic building and lots of services for travellers, several restaurants and helpful staff - all important when travelling in Nuwra Eliya which can be hard to get around. Hotel public areas are lovely but rooms are less exciting, although immaculately clean! Enjoyed the restaurants and buffet breakfast here too.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guest, Many thanks for your review and we are happy to note that your stay with us was an enjoyable one. We are in the process of doing some improvements to our rooms and other areas and are also focusing on improving our services, all of which will be evident to you when you visit us next. Thank you and best wishes from all at the Grand. Sincerely, Resident Manager.
Mumbai, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Our stay at The Grand Hotel was truely memorable. The hotel and rooms are amazing. Staff is polite and helpful. Icing on the cake is the awesome garden with kids play area.Last but not the least was their fabulous Indian restaurant located outside the hotel. Reasonably priced . Breakfast was a lavish affair.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your post. We are happy to learn that your stay with us has been most enjoyable. We assure you that we will further improve our facilities and services, so that your next stay with us will be even more enjoyable. Thanks and best wishes from all at the Grand. Sincerely, Resident Manager.
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Externally, The Grand looks just that... like a grand hotel that should be somewhere in the English countryside as its got a very colonial feel about it. The hotel & surrounding town area was incredibly busy due to the New Year. We were brought cold towels on check-in, which didn't go down well with another guest checking in who hadn't got the same treatment & started shouting & pointing at us saying we were getting preferential treatment.

I don't know if it was this incident, that started our stay off on the wrong foot but I really didn't like this hotel. As we were shown to our room we passed a number of rooms, with open doors, which had mattresses on the floor & people sleeping on them. Maybe I just got the wrong impression but it felt like a hostel.

Our room itself was shabby, & felt like it needed a good clean. To top it off there were black hairs on bed linen, which put me off even more. There was far too much furniture for the smallish room with tables & chairs crammed up against the chest of drawers. No view from the window & it just felt depressing & claustrophobic. Not somewhere I wanted to spend any time. Bathroom on the smaller side & also tired looking, separated from the bedroom by a flimsy glass tiled door. The bathroom had white tiles which had seen better days & was in need of a good scrub, also a bit of a funny smell.

I have to say, my heart sunk when i realised we were there not one, but two nights. Lunchtime service was slow but food was okay. Vietnamese Crab rolls that I have to say despite being nice, tasted like chicken! Pluswe waited 20+ mins to get a beer, despite asking three times.

Having said that, positives were that the bed was comfy, & hotel quiet at night so probably best nights sleep during our tour of Sri Lanka. Also the Breakfast was a sumptuous buffet & really good, tons of choice the only letdown was that the coffee was weak & watery. The public rooms are big, spacious & 'grand' with a funny little bar in the basement. No wifi in room, only in reception & surrounding areas. Can highly recommend the Indian down the road which was excellent. Ate dinner there both nights. Fast attentive service, tasty food & very cheap, couldn't fault it.

Personally I wouldn't stay here again, but to give a balanced view the Monkeyboy thought it was 'okay' so maybe I was just too fussy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_Grandhotel, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Guest, Whilst thanking you for your review, we are very concerned about the shortfalls in service mentioned by you, as they are way below the established standards at the Grand. Although the property has been providing accommodation to visitors for well over a hundred years, we believe in the changing requirements of todays traveller and have made plans to improve the facilities. However, when it comes to service, we expect nothing but the best from ourselves. Thank you once again and hope you would give us another opportunity to serve you. Sincerely, Resident Manager.
Dubai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We were traveling as a group of 2 young couples and heard a great deal about this hotel.
Our review is bAsed on our 2 night stay at this hotel.

The good
The hotel looks old classic and if someone is looking to stay in a British-style hotel, this is the one (def not for us). The food is awesome. The hotel has a standard garden around it...which has been hyped.

The bad
The rooms are super small, the flooring is old and the corridor is Noisy, hence we could not sleep. The windows are small and quite bad. The interiors of the room are very old and poor. The TV was not working and the bed sheets had holes. We asked for the TV replacement, the staff conveniently took a TV from other room and put it in our room. The TV was still quite poor. The staff does not understand English and the staff is not kind.

The ugly
The hotel staff is not kind. They did not allow us to use the billiards since we were not wearing full pants. We were quite disappointed with the hotels reluctance to give up English tradition after 50 years of Srilankan independence. We were hoping to experience the warm Srilankan hospitality, however we were disappointed with this.

The saving grace is the fantastic Indian restaurant which is at walking distance. Please visit this place for superb Indian food.

Room Tip: I would not recommend this hotel. Also Nuwara Eliya per se has very few attractions.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_Grandhotel, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Guest, We are saddened to hear that your stay with us was not as good as it should have been, and have taken immediate steps to trace the details of the shortfalls mentioned by you. We assure you that your comments will be taken seriously and actioned on immediately. We are aware of some urgent improvements to our rooms which we are working on right now, but we are more concerned about the service and courtesy issues mentioned by you which are way below our established standards. Thank you for your review, sincerely, Resident Manager.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We were a group of 6 adults & 2 children. Was the second halt after Kandy. Reached after a 3 hour drive & the welcome was good & the rooms were immediate given to us. Have excellent coffee chocolates at the front desk - a must eat. We had the garden facing rooms with good view. The food was extremely good with the buffet spread of good choice. We had special food requests which was entertained by the chef who came himself to understand the needs at no extra cost - how good does that get. Have a great tea hotel section which provides a great choice of teas. The main market is close by & easy by walk. There are a choice of hotels in the area including some home ones which provide SL food. The hotel has a very English touch. To sum up a great place, a great hotel with excellent facilities & staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Manager_Grandhotel, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Guest, Many thanks for your post and we are happy to learn that you have had an enjoyable stay with us. We are making some additions to our property and services, which I am sure you would be able to experience when you visit us next. Our singular aim is to provide to every guest an experience similar to yours. So, thank you and best wishes from all at the Grand Hotel. Sincerely, Resident Manager.

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!