“Nice” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Nuwara Eliya Golf Club

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nuwara Eliya
Nuwara Eliya Golf Club
You added Nuwara Eliya Golf Club to your Saves list
Golf Course Rd., Nuwara Eliya, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #21 of 128 Nuwara Eliya B&B and Inns
“Nice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here during our trip to Sri Lanka. The rooms were nice, and bathrooms were clean. Dinner and breakfast were good. My only complaints are that I wish that the hotel was a bit more modern; the whole time I felt it looked really tacky and outdated. Other than that, no reason why I wouldn't come back again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Weligama, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We are frequent visitors to the beautiful Nuwara Eliya Golf Club and it's sprawling, challenging, hilly 18 hole Golf course. It is indeed a quite difficult course as one has to walk to all 18 holes, i.e. specially "Little Switzerland", but all in all we find the Golf Course to be a great and a scenic one. The caddies are special as they tell you which club to use and how to play the ball! Staying in the old colonial Club with it's still intact rules since past British occupancy is a royal pleasure. Time seems to have stopped many decades ago when the British patronized the place. Like the whole of Nuwara Eliya the Golf Club is so very British. Rooms, food and service are good - as good as one can expect in a private Club. We found that the Club is well administered and functioning. The staff and caddies are friendly and attentive. It can be very relaxing to sit in the open veranda overlooking the golf course during day time and in the evening near the open fire places where the fire wood is always fed thereby giving one very warm and comfortable feelings on chilly days. We looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Imagine an English Colonial Club setting in modern Independent Democractic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka and for that you have to walk the distance to finish the 18-hole course.

Beautiful it may be, the ancients rights for the public to walk pass the fairways is something to be experienced.

The Caddies are old-timers barefooted and wearing "sarong" to tell you where to hit and place the balls.

Great course for the young and strong with the legs. There is no leg massage after the game as Sri Lanka does not encourage evening massages.

Room Tip: Great traditional golf course.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Colombo, null, Sri Lanka
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Upon arrival, you keep thinking this is a paradise on earth. It really is, too. The golf course per se is amazing. It really is a visual treat. The building itself is very colonial and you can see there is a rich history attached to it. But this is where paradise ends.

The food, which happened to be rice and curry for lunch was insipid and full of curry powder. No taste at all. I had a glimpse of the kitchen area and I will think twice about putting any food in my mouth. Yet the worst part of this entire trip was the service.

After checking into the room, the housekeeping boy comes in, dumps a bed sheet, coverlet and pillow and then leaves the room expecting me to make up my own bed!! I have traveled widely throughout the world and this is the FIRST time something of this nature has happened to me. What makes this all worse is the fact that I am Sri Lankan!

I will never visit this place again. Ever.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Colombo, Sri Lanka
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

My family and I chose the Golf Club per recommendation of a family friend. Once we got there, we found that the rooms reeked of a musty smell left by cigarette smoke. The blankets were unclean and our TV didn't work for the length of our stay, despite having complained over ten times in person and over the phone. The food was questionable and gave me and my sister indigestion and food poisoning, where we got severely sick and couldn't eat anything but crackers for a week. I even happened to see a rat in the lounge area. My experience there was horrible, and I would never ever recommend it to anyone else.

Room Tip: Don't ever stay in room 14. The TV didn't work in there.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Colombo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

The Golf Club situated in the Heart of the little town of Nuwara Eliya is a great place to chill out. The long walks along the golf course and the bike / horse rides round the lakes gives that little bit required to take away the guilt of indulgence. The rooms adjecent to the club house are nice large rooms although not heated they have nice hot water bottles like the good old days. The toilets of course have hot water on tap. The food is just great. It is personalized to your taste if adequate notice is given. The service is also of very high quality.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Shropshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

The golf club is in the middle of town - close to shops and restaurants - the golf is excellent and is a real challenge - the caddies are very skilled - the clubhouse is old colonial, wood fire in the bar, service by staff is good - the club was let down by the accommodation - the room we stayed in was in poor condition, a bit damp and mouldy - needed a revamp, indeed some rooms were being renovated during our stay - I think when you book you need to check that your room is an updated one.

Room Tip: You want a modern or renovated room
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Nuwara Eliya Golf Club? Share your experiences!