“Very helpful” 4 of 5 stars
Review of King Fern Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nuwara Eliya
King Fern Cottage
You added King Fern Cottage to your Saves list
203 / 1A St. Andrews Dr | Under Bank, Nuwara Eliya 22200, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #9 of 112 Nuwara Eliya B&B and Inns
Ghent, Belgium
“Very helpful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We didn't actually stay here, but got out of the taxi here while dropping off two othere girls. We escaped from the taxi because we were being hounded by a rather agressive tout who goes by the name of Yoga. He kept trying to push us into staying in certain gyesthouses, no doubt for a commission. Upon arriving a King Fern, he actually ran towards the owner, begging him to say he was fully booked for the day, so we would have to search elsewhere. We decided to ignore him and he went away, clearly very annoyed. The owner of King Fern was very friendly and helpful. He phoned a few places and eventually set us up at the Trevene. We offered to pay for the phonecalls, but he wouldn't accept any money. Place seemed really nice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful setting nestling amongst the trees with verandas to have a cup of local tea or a beer. Clean, interestingly decorated rooms with cosy blankets and comfy beds. Friendly helpful staff and tasty food!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights at this most lovely place where we were warmly welcomed by the manager. The house is surrounded by lots of trees and flowers and it's a 10 minutes walk from town. The bed was big and very comfortable. The shower's hot water flow was a bit fluctuatIng. The dinner was rather average.

Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed in one of the family rooms with my partner as we didn't book ahead and it was the last room available. It was spacious and quirky but could do with some TLC...the shower was broken but usable and there was just a general dampness about the place. However this might be unavoidable given the weather. The owner is really helpful and speaks English quite well, he organised a trip to the Worlds End for us and we shared with another couple which helped with the cost. Was disappointed with Nuwara Eliya itself but the guest house was a cosy and warm retreat with the wood fire in the dining area and I would recommend the yummy Chicken Curry for dinner!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

we stayed at King Fern for 3 nights and we really enjoyed it. the rooms are good but a little bit moldy. I believe it is just normal given the location.
we did a day trip to the worlds end. it was 3500 rupies and you can't really bargain it. the food I have to say was really great. it is also the perfect place to chillax and meet nice people at night time around the fireplace.

Lilongwe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This place was absolutely perfect. I took the train from Colombo to Nuwaraeliya for the weekend with two friends, and we made no plans for lodging until we were a few hours away. We found King Fern in our Lonely Planet guide, and after reading positive reviews on tripadvisor, we booked a room. The first thing I noticed about the place is how clean it was. For the price per night, this place flat out exceeded my expectations. Lal is quite possibly the most helpful and friendly manager I've ever come across. If you need anything at all, Lal (and the other staff) will be more than happy to help. The kitchen was closed one evening when we were hoping to get dinner, but the staff were still happy to make us omelets and toast. We had an unbelievably comfortable stay and I really can't recommend this place enough.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

A strange place, I did upon arriving realize that the hotel had assumed that I was foreign and were surprised to note that I was actually of Sri Lankan origin and on holiday in the homeland. They were curious and told me that they don't usually have locals staying with them. This happened while I was making the initial booking over the phone as well with a bunch of questions being asked a tentative booking written down. I didn't know how to take this and neither did the friend I was travelling with. It made for an uncomfortable first day.
Rooms are spacious but they are always slightly damp and the bathrooms moldy. Our sink was broken as well. I guess this can't be helped given the weather.
Overall it was alright value for money and the hotel itself is in a beautiful area, it just runs very much like a business with interesting characters.
I can see how the novice traveler would love this place, it is charming and the staff helpful enough otherwise. I don't know if I'd stay here again though.

Room Tip: Get one of the rooms with a balcony.