Having stayed at this hotel around 8 or 9 times over the last 20 years, we returned with high expectations. I am pleased to be able to say that the actual experience exceeded our expectations.
We were given a large room on the top floor, well away from the restaurants and other potential sources of noise. The room was furnished beautifully and the bed was very comfortable. Everything was squeaky-clean and kept that way by our room boy, who also replenished our fruit bowl regularly.
The hotel has a superb location at the end of a long beach and we were pleased to find that you can still stroll along its full extent without meeting more than a handful of people. There are two pools and plenty of sunbeds in the extensive garden area, where you can watch the many birds and chipmunks as well as the occasional monitor lizard passing through.
We enjoyed the food, particularly the excellent dinner arranged for us by the head chef. The weather during our stay was pretty mixed, but we managed a few dinners at the seafood station by the side of the pool. I would recommend both the food and the relaxed atmosphere there.There is also a small covered 'open-air' restaurant area, where we had some good curries. Breakfast is a sumptuous affair with a wide range of choices, including hoppers and curries as well as the more traditional European-style offerings. There is also a splendid selection of fruit and juices.
Whilst the hotel and its facilities are very good indeed, it was the friendliness and efficiency of the staff which really made our stay memorable. We were constantly surprised by the way in which people anticipated our wishes/preferences and provided what we were looking for - and much more - without ever having to ask for it. Truly exceptional service and hospitality!
There were many familiar faces amongst the staff and we were also pleased to find that Eranda, our favourite tuk-tuk driver, was still offering his services by the gate. We have used him on many occasions and have found him very accommodating and utterly reliable. Resort areas such as Bentota and Hikkaduwa are within easy reach by tuk-tuk. We even went as far as Unawatuna this time - and enjoyed a 'roti lunch' with Eranda in Galle on the way. (Without him we would have struggled to order anything.)
As the title above suggests, we have no complaints whatsoever. We only regretted not being able to stay longer. However, we will certainly try to come back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to a beach hotel where style and substance mix like a classic cocktail. Just as the turquoise infinity pool seems to blend into the ultramarine Indian Ocean, award-winning cuisine fuses the best of east and west. Welcome to Heritance Ahungalla, where we weave a little magic into your holiday memories while promising you the finest hospitality and best luxury services among Sri Lanka beach hotels. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA and Hotels.com so you can book your Heritance Ahungalla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Heritance Ahungalla Hotel Ahungalla
- Ahungalla Heritance Hotel
- Heritance Hotel Ahungalla