“First time time to Heritance” 3 of 5 stars

Heritance Ahungalla
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Ahungalla, Sri Lanka, Ahungalla 54041, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ahungalla
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“First time time to Heritance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I had my first visit to Hertance with my family, it was our office trip.

The rooms are above average, but food and other restaurant services were not great.

Most of my family are vegetarian, all vegetarians had the same food experience as we had. Dinner had a BBQ and some dishes, but lack of tasty vegetarian food, they should have at least added some Indian food items.

I hope they will seriously look into this.

Thanx
Anura

Room Tip: Ask to send a photo
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Heritance A, General Manager at Heritance Ahungalla, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for selecting Heritance Ahungalla as your holiday destination. Thank you also for taking the time and trouble to comment about your experiences on the Trip Advisor. We are a little concerned about the comments you have made and we have taken them very positively. I have communicated your remarks to my Executive Chef with regard to the vegetarian corner in the buffet. The day that you had checked in was a Saturday and our Dinner Theme is BBQ and hence the buffet has a lot of meat items for the guests. However there had been 06 salads,02 appetizers, one soup ,06 hot dishes & 04 vegetable curries available on the menu apart from the meat items. Also if you had requested for any particular dish since you'll were vegetarian, we would have certainly obliged you with pleasure. However we have taken your comment very seriously and have noted to up grade the buffet with more vegetarian dishes to meet the palette of our vegetarian guests. Any inconvenience caused due to this is much regretted. We hope you will visit us again despite these little shortcomings. Please keep us up dated when you visit us so that we can be ready for your visit and ensure that you enjoy a memorable holiday with us. Until then please take care and keep in touch.

Yours Sincere Refhan Razeen, General Manager at Heritance Ahungalla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

A good place to relax and enjoy. But pool rules must be obeyed specially by Muslim ladies, who sometimes come in burca and jump to the pool disturb guests. Food is extremely good. Staff is very friendly. Good nice beach is really beautiful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Heritance A, General Manager at Heritance Ahungalla, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for selecting Heritance Ahungalla as your holiday destination. Thank you also for taking time and trouble to comment about our hotel on the Trip Advisor. We are very happy to read your positive comments about the hotel and are happy to know that you enjoyed the holiday with us. We trust you will come back to us when you have time to spare and keep us up dated when you plan to visit us again. Until then please take care and keep in touch.

Hampshire England UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is a truly lovely resort hotel with a stunning design, making the most of a beautiful location. We stayed here for our final two days after a fascinating but exhausting tour of the island and it provided the ideal retreat for rest and relaxation!
From the warm welcome with refreshing cold towels and a choice of juices to the moment we regretfully left for the airport, all the staff seemed to go out of their way to make our stay a memorable one.
Our luxury room on the third floor had a stylish bathroom and lovely outlook over one of the pools to the ocean beyond. Staff who serviced the rooms were not only efficient but added an element of fun by leaving a different 'animal' sculpted from a towel on the bed each evening!
We stayed for three nights and dined in a different location on each. On the first night 'The Mustard Cafe' suited our needs as after a tiring day we just needed refuelling before bed. The international menu featuring pasta, burgers, etc..was functional and service was friendly and efficient. However the atmosphere was a little 'soulless'. The buffet on the second night in the main restaurant was again 'functional'. It was certainly not the worst buffet we had encountered during the holiday but neither was it the best and the vast room again lacked atmosphere. Our third night however was very special. Due to a problem with the air con in the Fine Dining A la Carte restaurant we were offered the option of dining on the beach. This was truly magical. Our party of 6 were the only ones eating on the beach that night and to be served freshly caught lobster and other delicacies with silver service and flickering lanterns to the sound of the waves and a distant Kandyan drummer was a memory that will long live on.
Apart from trips on the Manu river and to the turtle hatchery at Kasgoda, there is little in the immediate vicinity of the hotel to tempt one out. We could not swim in the sea due to the strong currents at this time of year but the beach was spectacular to walk on and we did not witness undue amounts of litter as a previous reviewer encountered. As for the 'hawkers', they were only present in small numbers and were genial and never threatening - all adding to the local colour! There is also a small fish restaurant a few hundred yards along the beach to the right of the hotel (little more than a shack) which provided a pleasant alternative venue for lunch.
Meanwhile, back at the hotel, if one tired of lazing by one of the beautiful pools (in the company of two resident monitor lizards!) the 'animators' were on hand to organise an impromptu volleyball tournament for those teens and twenties with more energy than their parents!
This hotel is another example of the Aitken Spence Group at its best. I have rated it as 4 rather than 5 stars simply because we were lucky enough to have stayed at The Heritance Kandalama and Heritance Tea Factory ( all in the same group). Their unique locations and innovative design led me to award them the extra star but for a beach resort The Ahungalla would be hard to beat!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Heritance A, General Manager at Heritance Ahungalla, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for selecting Heritance Ahungalla as your holiday destination. Thank you also for taking the time and trouble to comment about us on the Trip Advisor. We are delighted by the comments you have made about us on the Trip Advisor. We are very happy to note that your have enjoyed our beautiful hotel and the facilities. Please know that it gives us great pleasure when we are aware that our guests have enjoyed themselves during their stay with us. We hope you will come back to Heritance Ahungalla again for your next holiday too and stay a little longer than this time. Please keep us up dated when you plan your next holiday in Sri Lanka. We will be waiting to welcome you with open arms. Until then please take care and keep in touch.

Sri Jayawardenepura, Sri Lanka
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

The beginning of the holiday started in a very disappointing way. We arrived at the hotel at 2PM on time for check in. However we were informed that the rooms were not ready. As a result we had to wait for over two and a half hours to get our rooms which was a very disappointing experience to start a vacation.

The excuse given by the staff was that the guests have not vacated the rooms on time. This is not a plausible excuse. The hotel should know when to call and inform guests that they need to check out on time. The least they could do then is call us and let us know there is a delay so that we can plan to arrive late to the hotel.

My mother who is elderly had to sit for along time in the reception area and found it difficult to walk afterwords as well.

We actually decided never to come back to this hotel again but we changed our minds after the experience afterwards.

The staff in the hotel mainly the room maintenance and restaurant staff were very polite friendly and courteous. Never before had we experienced such a good service from staff in any other hotels we had been to.

Another plus point was the food. The food was excellent. There was a wide variety and it was very tasty. One negative aspect is that we stayed one night on a day where there were less guests. On this day the food variety was not there and that was a bit of a undermining experience for us.

Another unsatisfactory experience I faced was with the pool attendant. When I went to the swimming pool I asked the pool attendant for a towel. His reply was that the hotel had instructed him to inform guests to bring their room towels. This seemed very odd to me as I saw other patrons having pool towels. Anyway I proceeded to have a swim and I could not dry myself as I had no towel and I had to go to the room all wet. With the cold wind blowing I could have got pneumonia as well but thankfully that didn't happen.

Later on I called the reception to clarify this and they said that the pool attendant should have given me towels and that he had given me false information. In any case I do hope the hotel takes this experience as a learning and inform their pool attendants as to not to refuse to give patrons pool towels.

Finally I would like to say that the hotel did allow us to have a late check out in order to compensate for the delayed check in.

Overall I would say that I would come back to Heritance Ahungalla due to the friendly and polite staff and the good food. However I hope that I will not face the unpleasent expeirnces I mentioned above, the next time I visit..

Dilshan Thambawita

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for selecting Heritance Ahungalla as your holiday destination. Thank you also for your valuable time taken and the trouble you went through to post your views on the Trip Advisor. Your comments have been very seriously discussed by us. First and foremost, as the General Manager let me apologise to you and to your family for the inconvenience that you had to face due to the delay at the check-in. As you said it is our responsibility to inform the guests to vacate their rooms on time when there is a back to back operation in the hotel. I have discussed this matter with my Front Office Manager and have advised the Front Office staff for not handling this situation well. I assure you that you will never have to face this type of experience when you visit our hotel again. Thank you very much for bringing this to our notice as this gives us the opportunity to rectify ourselves and raise our level of service. I have got my Chief Engineer to enquire into the the incident of the pool towel immediately and we have up dated all our Pool Attendants about this incident and have severely warned the particular Pool Attendant for his unacceptable behaviour and attitude. Once again I extend my sincere apology for any inconvenience that you had to go through. We are however very happy to know that despite all these, you and your family had a good time. Please come back to our hotel again and keep us informed when you plan your next holiday. We will ensure that you will have a perfect holiday with us and Heritance Ahungalla will become your favourite holiday resort thereafter. It will be our pleasure to take care of you and your family. Until then please take care and keep in touch.

Mechelen, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The rooms are spacious, clean, with everything you need.
The staff was always friendly and helpfull.
There are many facilities (2 swimming pools, badminton, tennis, pingpong, spa, gym) and many are free to use.
One minor: There is nothing to do or see in Ahungalla. If you leave the hotel for a walk in the town or on the beach villagers always try to sell you things. This is the case everywhere in Sri Lanka, but it makes you feel trapped (in a golden cage).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Heritance A, General Manager at Heritance Ahungalla, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for selecting Heritance Ahungalla as your holiday destination. Thank you also for taking the time and trouble to comment about us on the Trip Advisor. We are happy to note that you had a good stay with us. However we are very worried about your remarks about the beach agents. We are trying our level best to bring about a solution for this and I hope very soon we will be able to look after the interest of the guest on the beach too. I trust you will visit us again and when you do come next we can also organise some round tours for you in the close proximity of Ahungalla. There are many places of interest to visit. Please keep us up dated when you plan your next visit so that we can draw up an action plan for you. Until then please take care and keep in touch.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Dear Team at Heritence Ahungalla,
More than anything it is the service that i admire most... Simply great service!
From the Porter to the GM all had one thing in mind which is how to make the customer happy.

Constructive feedback for the team from us is that, rooms need to be decorated with more paintings/hangings, may be a day bed for the suite, couple of easy chairs for the balcony ..etc. (Anyway overall room facilities were very good)

I will recommend the hotel to my friends & family and thinking of staying at the hotel again..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for selecting Heritance Ahungalla as your holiday destination. Thank you also for taking the time and trouble to comment about us on the Trip Advisor. We are happy to read your comments and are motivated by them. We will certainly consider the suggestions you have made and will consider them positively wherever possible. Thank you for your suggestions and bringing them to our notice. Please know that it was our great pleasure to have had the opportunity to take care of you during your holiday. We trust that you would come back to us again when you have a little free time to spare. Until then take care and keep in touch.

Kalutara, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Dear Mr.Refhan & team,

I wish to thank you & the team for warm hospitality extended to me & my family during our stay.food & the services are excellent. Staff are always very helpful to us.Hotel is very cleaned too..my family enjoyed their stay even though it was a brief one & eagerly waiting to visit Heritance Ahungalla once again which i too am looking forward to.
Thank you very much once again Mr.Refhan for the great hospitality extended which shall be in our minds for many more years.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Heritance A, General Manager at Heritance Ahungalla, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for selecting Heritance Ahungalla as your holiday destination and also for the time and trouble that you have taken to comment about us on the Trip Advisor. We are very happy to know that you and your family enjoyed your holiday with us. Please know that it was our pleasure to have had the opportunity to take care of you during your stay at our hotel. We trust that you would visit us again with your family in the near future. Until then please take care and keep in touch.

Yours Sincere Refhan Razeen, General Manager at Heritance Ahungalla

Been to Heritance Ahungalla? Share your experiences!