“Stunning Island” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuramathi
Plymouth
“Stunning Island”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Stayed here for seven nights following a tour of Sri Lanka. Beautiful island with some amazing friendly staff. The staff around the hotel were lovely but unfortunately the staff at reception were not all that helpful.
Food.
So pleased that we opted for the Select All Inclusive as the main buffet restaurant was not that impressive. The food was luke warm and nothing special. The restaurants on the select all inclusive were fabulous, so if you can stretch the budget I would definitely recommend this option. The Reef restaurant was one of our favourites along with the Island BBQ. The only problem was managing to get into the restaurants as you have to prebook, this was a problem unless you were prepared to get up early to go and and book them. We ended up having to call our rep as the reception staff would just say 'sorry fully booked'. After telephoning the rep, she managed to get us a table on the night we requested with no problems. Every night when we were at the restaurants none of them were full so really couldn't understand this.
Drink
No problems with any drinks, cocktails were amazing I have to say.
Pools
Both the pools were clean and the garden areas were lovely.
Villas
We booked a beach villa which we were led to believe overlooked the beach, this is not the case! These are really garden villas as we couldn't even see the sea from our villa. I really think this is misleading and wrong. But the villas itself was lovely, immaculately clean and had everything you would need.
The island is kept wonderfully.
All in all we had an amazing holiday but the biggest disappointment was that we were there to celebrate our 25th anniversary and our travel agent had sent an email out to the island to explain this and we were told to take our wedding certificate with us to prove this, which we did. Unfortunately this was not even acknowledged! I told the rep who really didn't make anything of it. She asked it we'd received anything in our room, which we didn't, and that was it. Slightly disappointed with Kuoni and not not sure I would use them again. I loved the island and the majority of the staff were amazing but am more than likely going to try another island the next time. I would recommend it to friends but would inform them of the little downsides to it.

Room Tip: Don't be mislead by beach villa as this is not the case. The villas are set in beautifully kept...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We stayed on Kuramathi for 5 days during our honeymoon, and it was true paradise. We were on the all inclusive package, and we certainly took advantage of it. Our water villa was beautiful, and we were blown away by the sheer amount of sealife around the island.

As we were on the all-inclusive we could eat at all the different restaurants on the island, and in each one the food was amazing. My favourite was The Reef, for its stunning fish, and my husband loved Duniye for its spectacular fine dining. Even the buffet breakfast and lunches were delicious. The only slight let down we had was the food at the candlelight dinner were were offered as an extra, which was distinctly average. It was a shame as we'd have preferred a repeat visit to Duniye instead!

There are quite a few things to do on the island, including scuba diving, obviously! My husband loved his introductory dive, and the lady who led it was very professional, friendly and put him right at ease. We also went for a ride on the 'sofa', an inflatable dragged behind a speedboat, which was very exhilarating. The spa is also heavenly, with the treatment rooms out over the water. There's nothing like a relaxing massage while listening to the waves beneath you.

The staff on the island are all very lovely, though perhaps not quite as forthcoming and friendly as the staff we encountered on the neighbouring Sri Lanka. Also, as a few people have noted, there is a very strict policy around food and drink in the rooms. Due to the fact that not everyone on the island is on all-inclusive, the owners want to make sure that all-inclusive guests don't sneak drinks to non-all inclusive guests. This makes economic sense, but did mean that as honeymooners we couldn't enjoy a glass of fizz in our lovely jacuzzi. We were actually told by the Kuoni rep that you could take wine to your room as long as you requested it when you had dinner, or that you could take up to 6 cans of beer from the bar. Unfortunately, after a few very embarrassing and awkward conversations with restaurant and bar staff on our last night we discovered that this wasn't true. We were grudgingly given 2 cans of Carlsberg - romantic! This is a shame, as everything else was perfect. We didn't want to get smashed in our room, but it did feel a little bit like being at school and being frowned on. However, I mainly place the blame for this at the door of the Kuoni rep who gave us bad information.

Despite this little blip, everything else was amazing, and I would recommend Kuramathi to everyone! Go now!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I have just returned from visiting Kuramathi Island Resort for the twelve time and although the island is stunning unfortunately they don't show any loyality to their repeat customers.
I booked a beach villa which meant on previous visits the villas were in view of the beach and with in close proximity of the beach.They have since had a change around with their accomadation and now call the garden villas beach villas.
These villas are shaped in a horse shoe with little natural light away from the beach.
I was not at all happy with my accomadation which was number 18 (to avoid) so went and spoke to reception through the Kuoni rep .
I was told the island was full ,which it wasn't but if I paid another £840 I could upgrade to a deluxe beach villa.
My question being if it was full how could they find me another villa .
I had no alternative to pay this money.
When we got to our deluxe beach villa we noticed two other villa next door but one from us were empty.
I took this up with the Kuoni rep requesting as I have been to the island so many times and paid in total over £30000 they may consider giving me a free upgrade.
They said that it isn't their policy to give free upgrades at certain times of the year this being that time.
I feel very let down by the Kuramathi management and although we had a great time it did take the edge of the holiday.

Room Tip: Make sure when you book a villa you avoid the so called beach villas as they are very dark and know...
Stamford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

This island is very beautiful! It's our first trip to the Maldives and we thought we had seen some of the best beaches in the world but this was stunning. However, the hotel is like a prison! There are very strict rules and a lack of flexibility for just the smallest of things. We are not used to using package companies but through our travel agent we booked this hotel through Kuoni. On arrival the Kuoni rep did a speech which was very tacky. It made you feel like you were on a production line. it is hardly a friendly island either, the locals choose not to smile. My husband had a very bad cold and throat and didn't feel well enough to leave the room for a meal so I asked at reception if I could just take a plate to him and return it straight after (knowing how strict they were) but after numerous talks on the telephone to the management and the Kuoni rep I was not allowed! They said that I had to get my husband to the doctors and get a medical note to allow food into the bedrooms! Why would my husband pretend to be ill whilst on holiday just to get a meal in the room? He knew it was only a cold and didn't think it necessary to go to the doctors! So... There you go. Enjoy!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dunstable, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

We went to Kuramathi from March 20th through to March 27th, this was our eighth island so we pretty much knew what to expect from the Maldives. We arrived by seaplane and were greeted with drinks and cold flannels in the normal way.

We were taken to our room Beach Villa Number 37 which we were immediately unhappy with, not only did it not have a view of beach or sea it had a massive tree growing directly outside the porch and cutting out at least 50% of the available light, we were over 100 hundred paces from the sea!!. It seems these Beach Villas are in a horseshoe shape which means the ones at each end are actually on the beach with a sea view whilst the ones built further in get less and less view. Whilst the brochure did describe abundant vegetation it was like being in the middle of the island in a garden and as I have said this was our eighth island and we have always booked Beach Villas, theses have always had a view of beach and sea.

Kuramathi is a very large island and they start their accommodation with Garden Villas then onto standard Beach Villas and so on to deluxe/superior/Jacuzzi etc…. and onto Water Villas. Whilst I have no complaint that they have so many accommodation types they should not try to pass off what I would clearly describe as a Garden Villa as a Beach Villas just to get more money. Anyway to stop the rant, we did complain and we were moved the following morning to room 14 which was a lot better. The complaint and the move was done through reception which did handle it in a very calm and professional manner – I have the feeling that this is a complaint that reception gets quite often. Finally I would be very wary of rooms around 33 -45 which is where we originally stayed.

The restaurant we were allocated to was the Haruge Restaurant, this is buffet style, whilst the food is limited in comparison to the other islands we visited there was still plenty of choice and the quality was very good. One thing we noticed though was that there did seem to be a lot of flies, this was rather off putting as they had some foods like the dougnuts just hanging up on wooden displays which tended to have a lot of flies on them!

We took the Select all-Inclusive package so we only had breakfast there and lunch about 3 times. We usually ate at The Palm most lunch times this being the closest to the spa (which my wife spent a lot of time in). The food package was great as we feel we would have got bored with the main restaurant and the amount of drinks and cocktails varieties was great. Our only complaint was that on the bottled wines they only had about six whites, six reds and six roses and we did think that that could be increased if only by another couple for each category to give a little more choice.

We visited all the speciality restaurants and they were all very different but served up good quality food and they all had their own individual identities. Our favourite despite going there for lunch on several days was The Palm. When you go in the evening you have more choice. One evening my wife had the tenderloin which I had some of and it was spectacular, it was very relaxed and eating under the stars is always lovely.

Onto the Spa: Whilst I did not visit the spa my wife took advantage of several massages and said that the staff, treatments, treatment rooms and additional facilities like the sauna and steam room were amongst the best of all the islands visited. The staff were happy for guests to come earlier than the appointment time so they could use the sauna before a massage, my wife took full advantage of this and I got some peace and quiet!.

We snorkel so the reef was importantly to us, and whilst we did not swim the entire reef the bits we saw were very good, with lots of fish and colourful corals. Just about every time we went out we saw turtles and reasonably sized black tipped reef sharks.

Finally this was the biggest island we had visited and although it took a little bit of getting used to it was well worth it. For those less agile there are little buggies that take guests up and down the island and although we said we’d never get them, we would walk, the distances and the heat sometimes make it difficult so the buggies are a great idea.

All in all Kuramathi is well worth a visit, although if you are looking for rustic no news no shoes island this is probably not the one for you as it is like a tiny town with so many amenities, not generally standard for most Maldivian islands.

Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

We were so impressed with this resort. We were a little nervous as not being fans of buffet food we were worried that the quality of food on this all inclusive resort would be a let down. We upgraded to the Select Al La Carte package which meant we could eat in any of the restaurants on the resort. We were not disappointed. The Thai and Indian restaurants were superb, great service and delicious food. You could choose wines by the bottle rather than just by the glass and our white wines always came nicely chilled. We ate at the Palm for lunch several times, huge portions and excellent quality, plus they had the ice cream bar there. We stayed in a Jacuzzi water villa which we just could not fault, amazing bedroom looking out over the ocean, huge bathroom with clean modern fixtures and massive deck with sun loungers, a corner seat and Jacuzzi. This is probably the most impressive room we have ever stayed in. The staff were helpful and friendly, the gardens well kept and the snorkelling was just amazing, so many beautiful fish so close to hand. We would definitely recommend it and are already planning our next visit.

Billericay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

It's was our 20th wedding anniversary and we wanted to celebrate in style.

The Maldives has always been on our wish list so decided this was the perfect excuse to splash out and go.

Their are a lot of options for The Maldives so we asked a few friends and Kuramathi came up a few times so we looked on here, nearly all the reviews were positive so took the plunge.

OMG, the photos do not do the place justice, it really is heaven on earth.

We took the sea plane option as it was only 20 minutes by air or two hours by boat. When we arrived we were greated with cold flannels and a nice refreshing drink, a quick chat with the local rep and then a golf buggy to our water villa with jacuzzi, our luggage arrived shortly after.

The room was lovely, very comfortable queen size bed, cleaned twice a day with fresh towels if needed. We loved the view, the water is so clear you could see all manor of fish and on our first day we opened our curtains to dolphins swimming past our room.

We are not big drinkers but went for the select all inclusive package when we booked, so glad we did, the food was amazing. My wife and I have eaten in some excellent restaurants and all the restaurants were on par with most. We went to the BBQ twice as every one states on here the steak Diane is the best ever, it's true honestly, our little chef who cooks it in front of you could earn a fortune on that dish alone in the UK, the flavour, tenderness, even the jacket potato was perfect, I loved the seared tuna as a started also, so fresh, so much flavour.

We also ate in all the other restaurants apart from the Duniye, just didn't seem to get the juices flowing from the menu. Even the ceasar salad with fresh prawns was awesome. Salad will never compare. The cocktails also are fantastic.

The service and friendliness of the staff was the best we have ever experienced and the cleanliness of the resort also, constantly sweeping the sand and managing the vegetation.

I also when for a refresher dive with a lovely Spanish lady/instructor based on the island, all so relaxed and wonderful.

My wife and I will be returning, do not listen to the negative reviews, this is heaven and I want to live there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!