“Fabulous honeymoon destination” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Birmingham, England
“Fabulous honeymoon destination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Went here in June for my honeymoon. I have to say it was just fabulous. For the first week we had a Beach Villa - it's not the most luxurious, but it was roomy, clean and in a wonderful location. The outside shower was particularly lovely. The second week was in a water villa with jacuzzi. I can only say that this was stunning - a wonderful view from the deck just to endless blue water. The room was big, the bed comfortable and the bathroom high spec.

The island almost has two feels - the bottom of the island (where most of the garden and basic beach villas are) seemed to be the most lively. Two great bars (Fung and Beach) as well as the excellent Island Coffee Shop. The top of the island is a little quieter - another two bars, but a bit more relaxed and the Havana Club (note - this is indoors and air conditioned and no-one was ever in it - I think many people did not realise you could still get all-inclusive cocktails here).

We were on select all inclusive - I can't recommend this highly enough; all of the bookable restaurants were fabulous. I was especially fond of Duniye and the Wagu Beef, but the Reef and the Island Barbecue were also outstanding. We didn't therefore eat in the all-inclusive buffet restaurants other than for the odd breakfast. They looked fine, clean and well serviced - but there did seem to be a big difference in the quality of food.

The gym was well equipped, and very quiet. The spa was also lovely, and the basic massages really good. We enjoyed finding dolphins on the sunset cruise (although it might be a bit dull if you don't see any). We didn't really find any problems with the booking system - yes you do need to be in reception around 8-8:30am to be sure of the booking you want, but we were never unable to eat where we wanted on any night.

The staff were all pleasant, efficient and helpful. They certainly did not solicit tips, although many of them earned them with hard work and good service.

We'd only make minor suggestions - it would be nice to have had a better range of Select All Inclusive breakfast options in the Coffee Shop, better crème brûlées, and an option of lighter pizzas at Palm. The wifi was also a bit expensive, although we only took it on the last day in order to check in online on the last day - free wifi in the reception would have been a nice touch.

We also did a fair bit of diving: the guides were excellent, very professional and friendly. It's a bit expensive but there's plenty of excellent sea life to see. It's definitely something to do whatever your level and you will see a lot more than snorkelling. We didn't find any of our dives too "currenty" either.

Room Tip: The water villas with jacuzzi are excellent: we had a middle room and were in no way overlooked by a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (583)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Before I start, please note I travelled to this hotel last April.

This is an absolutely beautiful Island. We chose this island as the destination for our honeymoon just a couple of days after getting married. I had been to the Maldives before, but not stayed here. I had suggested it to my wife, who was excited at the prospect.

The cleanliness of the island, helpfulness of the staff and standard of accommodation are great. Some may have a few problems such as choice of eatery, décor etc, but we are not too fussy, and it was just what we wanted. We had a beech bungalow which was literally 10 seconds walk to the waters edge. Great location.

The highlight without a doubt was the sea. I probably spent more time in the water snorkelling than doing anything else. Because of this a snorkel and mask is essential to appreciate the biodiversity - if you like that type of thing. Yes, there are sharks in the water, but to be honest they are probably more scared of you than vice versa. I regularly went in the water whilst they were there, and struggled to even get remotely close before they swam off. Even my wife who doesn't like that sort of thing didn't mind.

It is (depending on time of year) almost guaranteed sun all day long. The beaches are very clean, and just like in the brochure. We booked with Kuoni, who were if anything a little expensive, but as it was our honeymoon, didn't care much anyway.

I do not think it is required to upgrade and be able to eat in the other restaurants unless you are a foodie. If all you want is reasonable food and drinks then the main place of eating that is allocated to you is adequate.

The sunset cruise which is included is also great fun, as is feeding time for the stingrays towards the tip of the island. You can also hire a guide and speedboat for about £40 and he will take you out for about 3 hours to different islands to snorkel. This was great value for money, and I managed (somehow) to be able to see and swim with eagle and manta rays - magical.

Summing up, a fantastic experience, and one I will repeat. I probably wont return to Kuramathi, but this is because there are so many other islands to explore and is not a reflection on my enjoyment or indeed the quality of the place.

Room Tip: Beach front bungalow with Jacuzzi is great for location.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My wife &I went to Kuramathi the last two weeks of May, weather the first week was fantastic,the second was changeable, but this didn't stop our enjoyment.
We opted for the select all-inclusive,and would recommend you take this option,as you can eat & drink anywhere on the Island. The Restaurants are first class ,We liked the Island Barbecue the best ,the steaks were fantastic.
The staff were always smiling and helpful,and never came across as looking for a tip,as regards to tipping,we tipped every evening in the restaurants,you will find that the people serving throughout the day are the same that serve in the select restaurants .We also tipped occasionally at the bars ,and tipped the room boy at the end of our stay. We booked last July and had a upgrade to a deluxe beach villa,from a standard beach villa.Great feeling waking up and setting foot straight onto the beach.
we would like to say a special thank you to Nicole the Kuoni rep,who was always available and very friendly.
would definitely return again

Room Tip: if you are given room 321 ask for a change of room,as this room is right next to the workers compoun...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We had previously been to Kuramathi in 2010 for our honeymoon and loved it, we wanted to go back and finally decided to go this year. The island is beautiful with amazing views and snorkeling is a must, the fish and views just of the coast is fantastic.

The food is top quality, despite being plentiful, we a different theme every night - Italian, European, Maldivian etc. We went to restaurant B and can confirm the staff have the perfect balance of being there when you needed them but not bothering you or feeling smothered. We also went to the Palm, the coffee shop and restaurant A - all offered top customer service and great food.

We decided to stay in a water villa with a jacuzzi this time as we knew these were fantastic. The view over the Indian ocean and literally walking into the reef is fantastic. We had previously stayed in a beach villa with jacuzzi which was great but the garden wasn't that nice due to the high walls, to give you privacy, and the shower is outside. The water villa has a shower inside and a nicer bathroom.

The island provided us with a refreshing drink and cold cloth on arrival, which was very much appreciated and offered a free bus service around the island. We never walked once without having the opportunity to grab one of these buses at some point in the journey but we didn't use it much as it was far nicer to get the views and enjoy the experience - the buses are fitted with air con.

The room is cleaned two or three times a day and the bed is made up in the morning and then turned over for the night - they must know when you leave for breakfast, lunch or evening meal as they never got in my way. The villa was constantly cleaned and mini bar topped up.

My experience was amazing and better then the first but I genuinely believe this was due to Nicole from Kuoni, who advised what was on offer and was always available if needed - Kuoni, you are lucky to have her!! However, all the staff were extremely friendly and literally done whatever they could to make our experience as good as it could be - they even remembered me from our second day, pulled out my chair, new what drink I would want and how I liked my eggs ..... you're not a number, you're a valued and welcomed customer.

If you are in any doubt if this is the island to go to in the Maldives, don't. It is fantastic and you wont regret going.

Room Tip: Water villa with jacuzzi for better bathroom, views and experience.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rheinfelden, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I were there and we have really our best holiday. The hotel is really beautiful decorated. We booked all inclusive that that is not disappoint us at all as the cost of single bottle of water and meal will be too expensive when it was combined altogether. There are several bars and international restaurants such as Thai, Indian, Italian and etc. Each day you can really try the new restaurant. There are also buffet restaurant but I personally can not take buffet everyday. We booked a water bungalow and the view from the room toward the sea looked magnicificent. We can say hello to the fish everyday when we step out to the water. I always took some bread with me to spoil them a bit. It is fun as sometime you will see the shark swim by to see what the rest of the fish are doing here :) We are relaxed during the time we stayed there. The service from the staff was really good. I cant say anything bad about it. I would like to go back again definitely :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Havant
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife wanted to go somewhere spacial for our 30th Wedding Anniversary, so she chose the Maldives. We used a company called HolidaysPlease for the booking and they were great. We looked at various reviews for the Maldives and finally came down to Kuramathi Island Resort. We booked a Basic All Inclusive, as opposed to Select All Inclusive. The difference is about £250 per person, and with Select AI you can eat in any of the 3 Main resaurants on the Island, all of the individual specialised Restaurants and have a much wider choice of wines. We found that The Harauge Restaurant that we were allocated gave us a good choice of different dishes every day. The Wine was OK and perfectly drinkable. The beers and all the Cocktails are included in Basic AI and we had a real job to get through the 60 or so Cocktails. All spirits are branded and very good. The service from the many staff was brilliant. The island is kept spotless with gardeners cleaning all day long. The sea off the isalnd is awash with fish, Black Tipped Reef Sharks, Rays, you name it, and it is probably there. The WiFi charges were very resonable and the coverage is very good. We had a night flight with Etihad from Heathrow to Abu Dhabi and then onward to Male with the same carrier. Etihad were very good, no complaints at all. The seaplane transfer was really good fun. We would definately go back to this resort.

Room Tip: Beach Villas are perfect. In our opinion villas on the Northern side of the island were better. We h...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I visited Kuramathi Island Resort early July. The Maldives had always been a dream of mine, but I only just got up the courage to decide to spend all that money on a quick holiday! We only stayed 5 nights, as we left our two young kids at home with their grandparents, plus that was really all we could afford in our budget!

We received a cool face washer and a refreshing drink on arrival to the island, and after everything was finalised, we were told to wait in reception and we would be notified when a bus was here. After waiting about 10-15minutes, we were impatient and over it as we had already been away from home for 24 hours worth of travel, and just wanted to get our holiday started, and get refreshed after a long flight. We asked reception and ended up getting taken on a buggy. Not a great start to our holiday.

Our room was nice, but the view not what I imagined the Maldives to be. I actually felt quite underwhelmed. I had high expectations from the pictures, reviews and hype over the maldives. Personally, my husband and I preferred the Water Villas, as the view was of the lagoon side of the island, which is so SO much more exquisite. Unless you plan on sunbathing on your deck, I dont think the JWV is worth the extra money. The jacuzzi at night was a nice treat though.... But the JWV are not exquisite like the photos. I dont see the need for room requests either. As far as I could tell they are all just as private as each other. The end one furtherest up the island would be awesome though!

The island itself was gorgeous. The landscaping perfect. The food was INCREDIBLE. We went Select All inclusive so we didnt have to think about what we were spending when we were there. The food itself turned my non wining and dining husband into a winer and diner. Couldnt get enough!! We tried the buffet for lunch and dinner once though, and it was nice, but nothing in comparison to the a la carte. The Palm was our favourite for lunch, but the beef we had on night one was amazing. Siam Garden another favourite. The food MADE our holiday!

The island is big, so in only a 5 night holiday, we spent a lot of time walking and exploring. The buses and buggies were few and far between. But a more frequent buggy service or assigned villa buggies would ruin the peaceful feel of the island, and turn it more commercialised. We needed another 5 days to make it perfect and have more time lazing around doing nothing! I think because of the size my husband loved it. He reckons he would never even try a smaller island. He loved the variety but especially the quietness. Restaurants were always only a few tables at one time, besides lunch and dinner buffets. This is a big plus for him. Walking around sometimes you felt like the only ones there too.

The first couple of afternoons showers set in, and then the following days the water was full of jellyfish/blue bottles ("hungarian man o war") so we couldnt swim or snorkel....By the time we got our hired equipment and the conditions were okay, I only got one snorkel on our last afternoon. Disappointing but no one's fault.

Sandbank is AMAZING. Stingray feeding is interesting and fun to watch. Who would have thought they had personalities!

We loved the top end of the island and would stay in a Deluxe Beach Villa up that end if we went again.

Our Maldives once in a lifetime trip could and may almost certainly become at least a twice in a lifetime trip....but it is a lot of money and a lot of travel.

We have nothing to compare it to as this was our first big holiday, and first time flying internationally.

There was one day which would have been nice for our sunset cruise and it happened to be the day we were booked in for - our last night. Definately a fantastic and special ending.

If we based it just on the time spent on the island and the location and the food, it was perfect. But if we factored in the travel time, the hype and the money to visit the Maldives and conditions of this particular trip, it was still great, but not out of this world amazing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!