“Amazing trip !!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Villingili
Doha, Qatar
“Amazing trip !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

My family loved the resort. We enjoyed every minute of our Easter break. It felt like paradise, our own water villa on a lovely island. From the minute we arrived at Male airport we were very well looked after, my two little girls received a lovely soft turtle toy with their names embroidered onto the toy, we then waited in the executive lounge where we could have any refreshments. We were then escorted to our Gan flight, once arriving into Gan we briefly waited in the shangrli-la's beautiful lounge for the speed boat transfer.
Arriving at the hotel was great, we had a lovely fresh coconut from the island with coconut milk inside and beautiful flowers for the girls and myself. We were taken straight to our room, we booked a water villa, which was brilliant. The girls then got a lovely turtle necklace from the arriving room host.
The water villa had a nice view of the sea and the resort, the villa had everything you needed tea and coffee making facilities, bottled water, mini bar, dvd/cd player, i pod speaker, plenty toiletries, including sun lotion, hair bands etc. I loved the bath in the bathroom and my husband enjoyed having an outside shower. The whole family loved being so close to the water, we sat on our decking and watched the turtles swimming, although we found there wasn't much fish life to see. My eldest daughter and husband went snorkelling in a different part of the island to see the fish. You can dine and sunbath on your decking of the villa. We were given bikes so that we could cycle around the island which my children thought was great. We cycled all around the island and to breakfast every day. You could also call for a buggy if you didn't want to cycle.
Our room host, George was amazing he catered for our every need and made our holiday very special.
We dined at Javvu for breakfast and dinner and dinner at Dr Ali's. the food and service was wonderful. The service around the island was exceptional !! On our last evening we had in-room-dining which was lovely, we had our table on the decking set and the food served. It was really nice but my husbands portion was quite small of the fish and chips but it didn't spoil our evening. We then went to M Lounge for a cocktail.
My two daughters went to the cool zone for children, they did easter activities and took part in the easter fashion show at M lounge. We had a glass of champagne whilst watching.
We all had a wonderful time and was sad to leave, the resort is fantastic and the staff were great. We were looked after from the minute we arrived to the minute we left at Gan airport.
I would really recommend the water villa's.
We all want to return :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
ReneDEgle, General Manager at Shangri-La's Villingili Resort and Spa Maldives, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Louise W,

You may have enjoyed every minute of your stay, but we enjoyed every word in your review!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your holiday with us, it is great to see the girls participated in the Easter activities and I hope they will remember their (first?) fashion show for a long time.

I have shared your review with my team and George of course, and it is good to know he made your holiday very special. I am delighted you appreciated the amenities placed in your water villa, as well as the large oval bath and outdoor shower. Being surrounded by the water or welcoming unusual visitors such as turtles make the vacation even more magical.

We look forward to welcoming you in the near future for another precious holiday with your family.

With sunny regards,

Rene D. Egle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I have traveled in lots of luxury resorts around the world but this was the first time I stayed in A Shangri-La. I don't know if they are all like this but the one in the Maldives was marvelous as a hotel and had excellent service. We had a buttler responsible for us but it's not just him, all the staff was working as would do a private buttler. This is probably due to the hospitality culture of the Maldivians as well. I strongly reccommend this resort because of this feature and because it is a large island. You know you can easily get bored on a Maldivian island. Because this one is large enough you can ride your bicycle along the island and this space creates an advantage.

Room Tip: Waterbungalows are the best.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Lila H,

Thank you so much for this great review regarding your stay with us, moreover for your kind words about the team and the service offered. We highly appreciated the compliment and we are delighted to hear it was the highlight of your experience with us.

With 6 km of coastline, Shangri-La’s Villingili Resort & Spa is one of the largest resort island in the Maldives, giving us the opportunity to offer more privacy and many land activities such as tennis, football or 9-hole golf course in addition to the watersport and diving excursions. Actually, the added space definitely creates an advantage!

I look forward to welcoming you soon for another “marvelous” experience!

With kind regards,

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Firstly the good bits.

I was also on the delayed flight on 17th April and the handling of arrangements for overnight stays in Male and new flights was excellent.

The overall service on the island was first class and the way we were looked after certainly made a big difference. We travelled with a 5 year old who had a great time at kids club a couple of hours each day.
We had a beach villa with pool which overall was fantastic. My only issue being though that the garden and pool were totally covered from the sun so the pool was too cold to use and we couldn't sunbathe in our villa which was a real shame. The food was overall good but service was at times very slow. We waited one hour 10 mins one night before we had to ask to have our dinner sent to our villa where we waited a further 45 mins to get it.
The snorkeling, golf, cycling, gym and spa were all really excellent and being on a big island always gave a feeling of space. We also enjoyed the M lounge in the evenings although it was a shame more people didn't as it it was such a nice location to sit and have a few drinks listening to the DJ and Sax player.

Now apart from the lack of sun in our villa the 2 major issues I had were the beach and the sea. Neither are really the fault of the hotel but the water clarity was a real disappointment compared to where we had stayed in the maldives before and the lack of sea life except on the reef was such a shame. The beach by the pool where the sun loungers are however was even more disappointing. It seemed that there was a particularly high tide whilst we stayed but to see sand bags exposed all afternoon right where u go in and out of the sea really spoilt the location for us. Why the hotel has not used the vast beach to the left of the pool to set up a new sitting area I really don't understand. Seeing sand bags all along the front is hardly what you would expect in a 5 star resort in the maldives. The water and beach would be the 2 reasons why I am afraid to say we wouldn't return. For the cost of staying here we had higher expectations as a location. The hotel is great but clearly the northern atolls offer what we come to the maldives for. Crystal clear water and real sandy beaches without the sand bags.

Paul, Singapore

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear 48Paul,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor and giving us your honest feedback.

I shared your comments with my team and we were delighted to hear you enjoyed the food, the beach villa, the various activities and M-Lounge. Our resident DJ Crystal and Saxophonist Marty work together to offer a unique live entertainment in the M-Lounge and it is good to hear that you appreciated their performance.

I was disappointed to hear you didn’t enjoy the beach in front of the pool. We had some strong winds and high tides which is the time when sand bags are exposed sometimes. These weather conditions cause beach erosion and the bags are used to strengthen these areas. The rest of the beach on the other side of the pool are meant for our guests in beach villas.

Once again, thank you very much for your comments which all have been noted. Do not hesitate to contact me at slmd@shangri-la.com if you wish to provide me additional details.

We hope to welcome you again.

With best regards,

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

The service and help I received from the Shangri-La Villingili staff has motivated to open a TripAdvisor account as they deserve public recognition.

The international flight on my journey home to Hong Kong had to be rerouted as I missed my original flight due to delays caused by technical problems on the domestic leg operated by Maldivian Airlines to Male (airport staff said this is very rare). While some of the management of expectations during the rerouting chaos was a tad shy of perfect, I must give credit to the Shangri-La staff, particularly the Airport Manager Mr. Salym, for their strong sense of responsibility throughout the process.

As a start, they helped me get fair compensation from Maldivian Airlines (my original ticket was business but Maldivian at first only issued Economy for the reroute/compensation). Even after I left Maldives transiting in Singapore en route to Hong Kong that they continued to help sorting out my ticket issues remotely.

The property and overall service is great as you'd read in other reviews. Quite a number of activities for you to participate in that would make a 5-day stay go by quickly. My water villa was excellent and in very good condition. Villa hosts are not there just to get you to spend more, they do have the heart to delight you, however odd the request may seem. Closest to paradise I've seen so far.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ReneDEgle, General Manager at Shangri-La's Villingili Resort and Spa Maldives, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear 2ndBro,

First of all thank you for your feedback and secondly thank you so much for creating your Trip Advisor account especially to recognize our service.

It is a great honor to learn that Mr. Salym and the airport team were truly helpful to arrange your flights and that it had made a difference in your experience.

I am delighted you enjoyed the island and your water villa, as well as the villa host service and the number of activities offered and I agree with you: 5 days are not long enough to explore it all!

We look forward to welcoming you soon again in paradise!

With warm regards,

Tripoli, Libya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

It was amazing trip and place. I had a part of my honeymoon in this resort with beach villa which has all facilities i was looking for. privacy is the most thing i got from the beach villa.
thanks shangri la to make my honeymoon perfect

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

ReneDEgle, General Manager at Shangri-La's Villingili Resort and Spa Maldives, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear A. Bazina,

Thank you for this short and sweet review!

I had a the pleasure of sharing it with my team and we all are delighted we made your honeymoon special.

We I look forward to welcoming you soon again, maybe for your anniversary?

With sunny regards,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I landed at Male Airport around 1500, and expected that there will be an immediate flight connection to the resort. However We had to wait for 2 hours for the connecting flight, plus there was a delay of one hour on the scheduled flight.

The team from the hotel welcomed us at Male airport, as there was a delay on the connecting flight we got a complimentary tour to Male City. We took of at approximately 1815 and landed at Gan Airport around 1930.

The Shangri La has their own terminal at Airport and a warm welcome at Gan Airport. We were then transferred to the resort. The boat ride took approximately 7 minutes from the airport.

We were welcomed at the resort reception with fresh coconut juice or a choice of a fruit cocktail. We were immediately taken on a Golf cart to the Villa. At first I had booked a treehouse villa, which is built approximately 5 meters above ground level, and you have a beautiful view to the ocean, but no direct access to the beach.

As I had kids with me I requested them to change to a beach villa which they did next day in the morning.

The rooms were big, and spacious, and had a warm atmosphere.

The beach was clean and blue, but there was no day that passed without finding some type of garbage coming to the beach from the main island opposite the shangri la, such as a bottle or a plastic.

But being on the beach there is like being in the paradise. Although you will have one or two negative comments on a hotel, but overall the experience of the beach will make you forget everything.

I was a bit unlucky during my stay as it was windy for all duration of my stay, and I could not do any activity. Cant blame the resort on it.

The food was good at the resort.

The Island was probably the largest Island resort which I have been to in the Maldives. I have stayed in many resorts but this was the largest of all.

There is a nice golf course, on the island. Plus you can take your bicycle in the resort to go fro one part of the island to the other.

There is a lot to write about the resort, but I leave it to you to discover and have look.

Great Place

Room Tip: If you have kids go for the beach villas.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Salah S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your great staying experience with us.

It is a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your overall experience, in particular the two-kilometre-long beach, the bicycles, the restaurants and the golf course.

I have noted your comment about the floating debris which we do experience especially during windy conditions. We normally monitor and clean the beach frequently on such days. It is unfortunate the wind prevented you from doing activities you wished to experience.

We highly recommend families to stay in beach villas with one or two bedrooms as they are ideal for families and to ensure the comfort of our younger guests. The arrangement of the villas allows children to play safely in the sand, sea or pool.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. The team and I look forward to welcoming you soon again in our paradise!

With best regards,

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

GM, front office manager, and staff warmly welcomed us.
The water is so pristine and the colors unbelievably beautiful. The employees are very friendly and very helpful.
They have an own garden to grow organic vegetables, which are so fresh and tasty and the breakfast In front of the white sand beach overlooking the turquoise ocean makes one just speechless .
The sunset at M lounge is just unforgettable. Amazing ! We went there every day. All day happy hour loved it

The only unfortunate thing on this vacation was that it was too short.
We travel a lot and we cannot recall any place we where from pampered and spoilt than on this beautiful island.
Thank you Shangri la for everything. All of you made this a life changing experience.

Room Tip: We loved our water villa and the privacy and the tranquility. This is the closest thing to paradise
Dear Hirokokubota,

You are most welcome and it is our turn to thank you for writing such a fantastic feedback on Trip advisor!

I shared your review with my team and it is good to see that everything during your stay was enchanting: the arrival experience, the overall service received, the breakfast on the beach and the sunset in M-Lounge. It is always a pleasure, and of course our declared objective, to make our guests feel pampered and spoilt.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our Chef garden. Our talented garden team is growing a large variety of vegetables and selected fruits that we use in our restaurants, ensuring the supply of only the freshest ingredients. I highly recommend you to try our Chef’s garden dinner during your next stay, where our Executive Chef will prepare a menu with products grown in the garden.

We look forward to welcoming you soon again in our paradise, and hopefully for a longer stay!

With warm regards,

Rene D. Egle

Been to Shangri-La's Villingili Resort and Spa Maldives? Share your experiences!