“Excellent resort” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
london
“Excellent resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Just came back from a week in the paradise, we stayed in a water villa the room is massive and really beautiful and clean. The journey from london is quite far as you need to wait to take another internal flight from Male, we had to wait 3.5hrs in male which makes the whole trip really long, so check the timings before bookibg the flight. But once you get there you will forget about all these as the island is absolutely stunning. We really enjoy riding our bike round the island, it is a relatively large resort so facilities are really good and you won't get bored at all - There is an activity schedule also for snokelling trips, yoga, discovery scuba etc. Service :top notch, really friendly staff who always smile and tries to help. Food:we went for b&b. dr ali is nice, but we mostly have dinner at jaavu as they have bbq seafood n steak most nights, we paid around £70pp per dinner but its good quality so its not too bad. Activities: There are quite a lot to do tennis, badminton, yoga, good gym (thee is also a nice spa area they call it changing room opposite to the gym its a really nice quiet area with steam/sauna/jacuzzi), their spa offer really amazing massages (they really listen and care. I also had the most amazing ginger tea at the spa! They are so nice to give me the recipe when I left. Then of cos there is a water sports centre but very expensive, 15 mins ride on the seabob is USD90. Diving is great! Their instructors are very knowledgeable and make sure we had fun. Quite a lot of dive sites in this atoll but you might need to be certified to go deep enough to see rays. Overall this is an excellent resort on a very stunning location, everything is top quality. Its not cheap but we both feel that it all worth it! The resort is about 75% full when we were there but apart from breakfast when its more busy you won't feel that at all. We actually felt there might be more staff than guests, We never had to wait to do any activities.

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

ReneDEgle, General Manager at Shangri-La's Villingili Resort and Spa Maldives, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear mark92London,

Thank you so much for your kind review regarding your stay in Shangri-La’s Villingili Resort & Spa.

The team and I were truly delighted to read such a positive feedback and it is great to hear you enjoyed the space in your water villa, the food in Javvu and Dr Ali’s restaurants and the quality of the service.

I would like to thank you as well for highlighting the fact that there is a lot to do in Villingili. As one of the larger resort island in the Maldives, we are pleased to offer many activities that are unusual in the Maldives such as tennis, golf, badminton, cultural tours, eco tours, nature walks…to name just a few! We are glad that you experienced many of those in addition to the dives and spa treatments at CHI, The Spa.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon for another memorable holiday in paradise!

With kind regards,

Rene D. Egle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kent, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

I did a lot of research before we chose the resort as my husband wasn't at all keen to go to the Maldives, convinced he'd go stir-crazy within a couple of days. When I read the rave reviews posted here, I couldn't believe anywhere could be quite so exceptional. Well I was wrong! We had an absolutely wonderful 9-night stay and my husband wasn't bored for a single second of it. The entire Villingili team are absolutely superb. The fact that many of the staff commute (by boat) from the local islands and genuinely want you to fall in love with their atoll gives the resort a special ambience. Every single member of a very big team goes out of their way to ensure you get the most out of your stay. But in a warm, discreet way - no pomp or ceremony, just quiet efficiency and huge, authentic smiles. We stayed in a Beach Villa in the Whispering Palms area and it was just perfect. The private pool was a decent size and there was plenty of shade on the deck when the equatorial sun was beating down. Iby, our villa host, and Ahmed, our villa attendant, were both fantastic - somehow, they were always there when we needed something, but never intrusive. And such incredible smiles!! We made the most of what the island has to offer - and that's a lot! Biking round the resort is easy and fun, the snorkelling trips are well organised, the dolphin cruise is a must, the bike tour of the neighbouring islands gives a fascinating insight into local life, the spa treatments are to die for . . . . I could go on and on! We were on the half-board package and that worked very well. The breakfast buffet offers a staggering choice but is well laid out and there are always smiling staff around to help you - special thanks to Asleef who provided tip-top service with quiet charm. We mainly ate dinner at Dr Ali's as we loved the Chinese and Arabian food there (they also have an Indian menu), but the twice-weekly buffets at Javuu are not to be missed . . . so much choice, such scrummy food! Suffice to say, this place is A1 in every respect. If you're hesitating about going, do treat yourself and experience perfection!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
ReneDEgle, General Manager at Shangri-La's Villingili Resort and Spa Maldives, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear Kent-UK2,

Thank you so much for writing this amazing review!

You mentioned twice the incredible and sincere smiles from every single member of the Villingili team; I can assure you that after sharing your review with them, the smiles were even larger! Thank you very much for your comments regarding the service, I am pleased to know we delivered the right level of assistance – warm, helpful, efficient but also quiet, discreet and not intrusive.

The proximity of Villingili Island to the other local islands of the Atoll offers the resort many advantages – among them is the possibility for our colleagues to easily commute to and from their homes, as you mentioned, but also the opportunity for our guests to explore the local culture. Addu atoll has a unique history and a strong cultural heritage that are worth to discover, which is why we created three cultural tours (Historical tour, Addu city tours, Meedhoo farms tour) to reveal this hidden side of the Maldives. I am delighted to hear you participated in the Addu City tour by bicycle among the numerous activities you experienced during your stay.

Iby, Ahmed, Asleef, the rest of the team and myself look forward to welcoming you back soon for another memorable stay.

With best regards,

sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I have not posted in a number of years, but wanted to provide my insight during my stay of January 5-9, 2014 .

I will write from the perspective of an American since I did not run into many of my compatriots during my stay. Many of the guests I encountered were from China and Russia.

My visit was part of a round the world itinerary. Thus I did not cope with the very long, intense flights that many other folks have posted. Though the Maldives are beautiful, coming straight from the US it is brutal and not recommended. I highly suggest making a stop for a few days in Singapore, Dubai or Doha as all three provide easy connections to the Maldives, are interesting destinations all to themselves and most importantly break up the long journey. Thus when you are on the the last leg of the domestic flight to Gan, you are not cursing the whole way!

Shangri La provides easy transfers in Male from the international to domestic terminal. On a day filled with flight delays, the hotel representatives were friendly, and worked hard on getting my family on an earlier flight.

The resort is located 70 minutes by air from Male. Though this may seem inconvenient, it was rather cool to think that the Shangri La was located on one of the most southern points in all of the Maldives. In fact, after the local airport of Gan, only the vastness of the Indian Ocean separates you from the next southern land mass....Antarctica!

The resort itself is the perfect size. Though full during high season, it never felt crowded or busy. The island is large enough that the resort provides bicycles to get around.

We stayed in an overwater bungalow. At 1700sq ft, it was an awesome place to stay right over the perfect water. Any visitor to the Maldives will NEVER forget the water. Since many of these resorts are built over lagoons, the water is shallow and with daylight has the most remarkable colors and reflections that I have seen anywhere in the word. One might question at $1000/night is it worth it. I would say yes..., at least once in a lifetime.

The food choices were very good. The breakfast buffet has many choices and does rotate its offerings during the week so it does not get boring. Lunch and dinner can be pricey, but not exorbitant. At $20-30/entree the prices are not cheap, but not enough to break the bank

My only complaint with the Shangri La was consistency in the wait staff. As an example, when the restaurant would only have 10-15 occupied tables, it seemed to take forever to have the waitstaff provide the bill. Also when the restaurant would primarily run a buffet, the waitstaff were frequently confused if you would choose to order off the menu.

Otherwise I found the Shangri La to be an excellent choice. The quality it is known for in East Asia certainly was apparent in the Maldives

Room Tip: overwater bungalow is the way to go!. The group of bungalows on the far northern tip are closest t...
Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
ReneDEgle, General Manager at Shangri-La's Villingili Resort and Spa Maldives, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear pacifichooper,

Thank you so much for your great review!

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at Shangri-La’s Villingili Resort & Spa; from the island beauty, location and size to the bicycles. Thank you for your feedback regarding the service in the restaurant, I am doing the necessary follow ups with the team to investigate further. Should there be any additional details you would like to highlight, kindly send us an email at slmd@shangri-la.com.

Moreover, it was a pleasure reading your description of the water villa. With 1,787 sqf of luxury, indoor and outdoor showers, stunning views over the sunsets, your recommendation is understandable! I could only agree regarding the Maldivian waters – it is definitely one of the component that makes our island so unique and magical.

I look forward to welcoming you soon again on the island!

With warm regards,

Hornsea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I stayed here for 7 nights (09/01-16/01 - villa 304) for the last leg of my honey moon. From the moment we arrived at Male air port -every thing was taken care of, we were left to relax in a premium lounge while they checked our bags and us in - we just got on the plane 10 minutes before take off and we had the seats right at the very front no less! We then got on a quick speed boat ride to the resort and were given cold towels and a fresh coconut juice / welcome drink , on arrival to the pier some of the managers were waiting to greet us with some fresh flowers for my wife.... Were taken around the island by our villa host on a golf buggy so that we could get our bearings etc. On arrival to our villa we were both gob smacked with the standard - it was out of this world! There was a bucket of champagne on ice waiting for us and we were informed as it was our honey moon we would be getting a couples massage and a private romantic dinner on the beach!The villa itself was very modern with all the luxury amenities that one could imagine + many more - including mouth wash, factor 30 sun tan cream, after sun, beach bag , 2 dressing gowns each, Bose docking station - the list goes on! While we were there we ate at Javvu and Dr Ali - both very tasty but if i had to pick my favourite then Dr Ali just had a wider selection of food from around the world.. One night we had the Vietnamese another Arabic all meals were presented in a beautiful manor and tasted just as good as they looked! We mainly drank bottled water as a) we are not big drinkers and b) a good bottle of wine (cloudy bay) will set you back over £100. As for the activities - there was so much to do , we did scuba diving, snorkeling with turtles, golf,dolphin cruise and also did a cooking class at Dr Ali's with the Indian head chef. There was also many free activities to chose from also. I have stayed at many 5* hotels as well as a few Traders/ Shang ri la's and i have to say its the staff that always make the resort what it is - there is nothing a member of staff wont do for you - want a dolphin shaped pan cake for break fast ? not a problem! Want a fresh smoothie making? sorted! food from a freshly made omelette to fresh fruit salad - there was at least 20 different fruits to chose from... To some up this resort it was pretty much perfect , the beaches and sea were beautiful , the staff amazingly friendly, if you want pure luxury look no further! A special thank you to Fayaz Samsudeen !

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

ReneDEgle, General Manager at Shangri-La's Villingili Resort and Spa Maldives, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear anna j,

Thank you so much for this splendid review and congratulations again on your wedding!

It is always an honor to host the very first holiday of a newly wed couple but it certainly comes with anxiety; all needs to be absolutely perfect! Therefore I am really delighted to learn that your overall stay went beyond your expectations and the we managed to make this a memorable experience.

I am also extremely pleased that our honeymoon package literally blew you away with the special amenities in your villa, the romantic dinner on the beach and the couple massage at CHI, The Spa.

Fayaz and the rest of us look forward to welcoming you soon again, perhaps for the celebration of your first anniversary?

With kind regards,

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

First time in Maldives and overall would go back even when the resort is not inexpensive! The service, food was excellent ... In my view the resort should pay little more attention to a healthy mix of guests that are courteous, polite to the staff and other guest irrespective of their wealth, if only possible - there was a significant number of guest of one nationality where these behaviors were to be desired!

Room Tip: Go for one of the Beach Villas with the pool ... :-)

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

ReneDEgle, General Manager at Shangri-La's Villingili Resort and Spa Maldives, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear JosefH_65,

Thank you very much for your review! I had the pleasure to share it with my team and we were delighted to hear you enjoyed the comfort of your villa, the service, food and your overall stay with us.

By offering a wide selection of the best local and international dishes in our three restaurants, we aim to satisfy everyone’s taste and preferences and it is great to hear our Chefs met your expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you again on the island

With best regards,

bucharest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

After a long and exhausting trip, with many transfers and endless hours waiting in airports and lounges, we finely arrived!... Ohh, it worth it! A piece of paradise!
Infinite white sand beach and shimmering turquoise water, an explosion of coconut trees and secular banyan trees , mysterious alleys that leads you through the lush vegetation to your villa ….you feel like in a fairy tale….

We book a pool villa with ocean view but we didn’t realize that we have not access to the sandy beach. We were a little disappointed at the beginning but didn’t last for long…the landscape is still very beautiful and wild…it is a more quiet area where you can here only the sound of the big waves crashing on the coral rocks, that helps you fall asleep at night and make you dream in the day light ….

The management of this resort is outstanding … Even though the landscape is so wild and natural, nothing is left to chance, everything is cured and organized… All the staff is so well trained, so polite, gentil and attentive, truely professional...They make you feel so welcome and important, ready to satisfied all your needs...You never hear the word "NO"... there, everything is possible, and if there's something they don't have at the moment, they will do whatever its stand in their power to please you and bring it to you as soon as possible.

Me and my husband travel a lot, and we have been in the best resort all over the world, but is there something about this place that make you feel so...happy! :)
There are many beautiful places in the world but is very hard to find such a nice and welcoming atmosphere like here.

The food is also great, at least in two of the three restaurants, and the prices are honest.... Dr Ali's for asian cusine, very cozy and romantic, very good food,; Javu at the beach, it is a barbeque and buffet, the food is very simple but genuine and everything so fresh; ... and Fashala that in my opinion is the only one that does not fit very well in a place like this...It is a kind of not well inspired “fusion” cuisine that I didn't enjoy at all...although the staff is very kind and polite….

For Maldives this resort is quite unusual because of the size, but is a place were you can not get bored , from bicycle ride , tennis, golf, water sports, excursion, snorkeling an diving , to just lying on the beach in the shade of coconut trees, the landscape is changing continuously…
It is a resort that will remain forever in our memory and we will definitely be back soon!....next time, maybe in a beach villa :))

Thank you Shangri La!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Oana_lucia,

Thank you very much for your fantastic feedback which I gladly shared with my team.

We were delighted to read your positive comments about our service. To know we made you feel special is rewarding as we always try to deliver a personalized service.

As mentioned in your review, our villas offer very different experiences due to their location and type. While some enjoy the lush vegetation and the sound of the waves which can be heard in the south east part of the island, others might favor the direct access to the beach on the opposite side. I am confident you will like the beach villa at least as much as you enjoyed the pool villa.....on your next visit.

It is great to know you liked the activities available and the island itself – wild but organized!

I look forward to welcoming you soon in our little piece of paradise to continue the fairytale!

With warm regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Great place to spend a romantic get away! Food and other amenities tend to be on expensive side though so be mindful of that. Also note $600 p/person round trip fair from Male to Gan (where resort is).

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

ReneDEgle, General Manager at Shangri-La's Villingili Resort and Spa Maldives, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear D M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the resort and for your great feedback.

I am delighted to know that you spent an excellent romantic holiday at Shangri-La’s Villingili Resort & Spa. Kindly allow me to clarify that the fares for the return flights from Male to Gan mentioned above are for two adults (USD330 per person). I have shared your valuable comments with the team and we will certainly take them into consideration.

Thank you for choosing to spend your holiday with us, we look forward to welcoming you again for another escape!

Warm Regards,

Rene D. Egle

Been to Shangri-La's Villingili Resort and Spa Maldives? Share your experiences!