“The most perfect holiday ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Villingili
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lancs
“The most perfect holiday ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a fantastic week at Shangri-La Villingili Resort and Spa in early February 2013. We were celebrating our 40th Wedding Anniversary and we could not have booked anywhere better. As soon as we arrived at Male we were greeted by a Shangri-La host and we were then taken care of, right through to our arrival at Villingili by speedboat. Cold towels and a very welcome coconut drink were presented to us on boarding the speedboat. On arrival at the quayside at Villingili we were greeted by Rene Egle (General Manager) together with a number of his managers and staff before we were transported in a buggy to our deluxe pool villa. The villa was absolutely outstanding - very spacious, luxuriously equipped and ideally located in the Whispering Palms area. We dined at all three restaurants as well as enjoying a magnificent private dinner in the Wedding Pavillion, overlooking the beach. Every meal was superb and the quality and wide choice of dishes was excellent. We also enjoyed snorkelling in the house reef and one afternoon we booked the Dolphin Cruise - this was fantastic and we would recommend it to all guests staying on the island. The bicycles provided at each villa are a great way to get around the island, but if you don't want to cycle everywhere a fleet of buggies are always available. We played golf at Villingili golf course - a brilliant, and challenging 9 hole course, with amazing views at every hole. We also visited the Chef's Garden which was extemely well tended and contains a wide variety of herbs, vegetables, fruits and orchids - well worth a visit during your stay. Throughout our holiday we were looked after exceptionally well by Rene Egle (General Manager), Brian Porteus (Executive Chef), Abdul Manaf (Recreation Manager) and Janice our villa Host. In addition, every single member of the Shangri-La staff was welcoming, friendly, happy, courteous, helpful and efficient. It is the best hotel team that we have ever experienced on any of our numerous holidays around the world.

At the end of our holiday we were able to enjoy the excellent newly-opened private lounge at Gan airport whilst awaiting our flight back to Male.

Our thanks to everybody at Shangri-La Villingili for making our celebration holiday so very special, so very enjoyable and so very memorable.

We would very highly recommend Shangri-La Villingili Resort and Spa to anyone who is thinking of visiting the Maldives - it is the height of luxury, set in Paradise!! We will definitely be returning there soon, but next time we will stay for a longer period of time!

Room Tip: The Deluxe Pool Villa (148) at Whispering Palms was absolutely perfect. It was very spacious, luxuri...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Villingili, General Manager at Shangri-La's Villingili Resort and Spa Maldives, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear ElviraLancs,

Thank you for the great feedback on your stay with us and it was really a great pleasure meeting you and your wife.

I am extremely happy to hear that we have made your 40th wedding anniversary a really special one as it should be. Once again CONGRATULATIONS from all of us on this amazing occasion.

I have shared your detailed comments with my entire team and needless to say they have been delighted, especially Brian, Manaf and Janice.

We all look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Shangri-La-s Villingili Resort and Spa, Maldives maybe for your 41st wedding anniversary!

Rene D. Egle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We paid a bomb for the villa (double the normal price due to Chinese New Year season), so we had high expectation of what we'll be getting. After all, it was our first trip to Maldives, so we did not know what to expect, except for what we could see from the photographs. The moment we stepped down from the aircraft at Gan airport, we knew it would be a once in a life time experience.

A handsome Maldivian man with the "Shangri-la" card was already waiting for us at the apron the moment we stepped down from the Dash 8. With him, a buggy behind. We identified ourselves and surprisingly, we were the only two Shangri-la guests on the plane. We hopped on the buggy and dashed forward, and I caught a glimpse of two women who were on the same plane with us running and waving towards the buggy. They probably did not realise that the buggy was only for Shangri-la guests, but the rests would have to walk themselves to the common terminal. We were brought to a Shangri-la Lounge to be greeted by Daniella. Waited for a few minutes before we were invited to hopped onto a beautiful speed boat to be transferred to Villingili. Our luggages? Already on the boat without us realising it.

We arrived Villingili in style, and were greeted by 4-5 Shangri-la staffs, all with huge smiles, and one of them: The GM of the Resort, Mr Rene... Wow, never in my whole life I've been greeted by a GM of a resort upon arrival, so, thank you. We certainly felt important. Haha!

First night we had our dinner by design at the beach which is something that we've never experienced before. Although the weather was not very nice to us (it rained) but the two waiters were being so helpful to move us to a nearby covered area and when the rain stopped, they moved us back to the beach again. We tried every Restaurant during our stay; Dr. Ali, Jaavu and Fashala. Each Restaurant gave us different kinds of experience but we loved Dr. Ali the most although we only dine there once. The Prawn Briyani is a must to try, excellent food and great service.

The cocktail party during Sunset organized by the Resort in front of Manzaru was just amazing! That's where we got to meet the GM, F&B Manager, Recreational Manager just to name a few. They were all there to greet and talk with us. It made us felt so welcomed and they did not just left us alone, where each of them attended to all the guests around and even helped us to take pictures during the sunset.
We want to thank a lot of staffs of the Resort which made our holidays a wonderful and unforgettable one. We could not remember all your names, so forgive us if we leave out some. Special thanks to Mr. Rene for your amazing team of staffs; Liyaz, for replying our emails; Ali, our Villa Host for always being there for us; Sharif, our favourite bartender due to his funny jokes and friendly smiles; Ajit, the Bar Operations Manager for his huge smiles; Manaf, Recreation Manager for keeping us up to date what's going on around the Resort; Winnie, the lovely Head Sommelier for sharing with us her experience of working in Villingili; Nico of the Dive Centre for making us feel safe during the dives, and the same goes to Farook, Tatiana, and a few staffs on board who served us coffee, we forgot your name, sorry.

Thank you all and we will definitely come back again!

Dear Bondrabbit,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an enthusiastic and detailed review about your stay with us.

I am really delighted to hear just how much you have enjoyed your holiday with us and that the resort’s facilities and services have been “a lifetime experience”.

I have also noted your great comments on my colleagues in particular Daniela, Liyaz, Sharif, Ajith, Manaf, Winnie, Ali, Nico, Tatjana and Farook. I will share your compliments with them which I know they will appreciate.

Thank you again for choosing to Shangri-La-s Villingili Resort and Spa for your holiday in the Maldives, my team and I are looking forward to seeing you again soon!

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We have just returned from five nights at Shangri La Vilingilli. It was our second holiday in the Maldives and our second stay in a Shangri La. We booked it especially as we were so impressed with the Shangri La Al Husen in Oman where we spent a week in October.

Unfortunately I wasn’t as bowled over as I was on my first visit to the Maldives and I wasn’t as impressed as I was by the Shangri La in Oman, so in a way I was disappointed on two counts. However, it is a great place and we had a lovely time.

We were in a villa with private pool on the side of the island you are asked not to swim in. You couldn’t lie on the beach here anyway as its all broken coral. The side of the island with sandy beach is beautiful but I have to admit we didn’t go there, so we didn’t lie on a beach or swim in the sea for the entire time! On our last visit we were on a tiny island at the Angsana hotel – a circular island surrounded by the most beautiful coral which you could snorkel around in 40 minutes or so, but unfortunately snorkelling isn’t an experience I repeated here although it is one of the things to do in the Maldives. There were organised snorkelling outings through the hotel, but it’s not the same as having great snorkelling at the door of your villa. Husband went diving a couple of times and saw manta rays, which was amazing.

Our accommodation was lovely and spacious with TV and a nespresso machine(!). The food was good – although admittedly we only ate in the Javvu restaurant as it’s the only restaurant open all day and we tend to eat a late lunch around 4 (too easy to overeat on holiday). The buffet breakfast was only average, I felt.

We got around the island on the bikes provided and the golf course at one end is well worth a visit. It’s really beautiful.

Staff were great, sleep quality was great. However, it is an awful long way – 24 hours from the UK and three planes. If I come to the southern Maldives again it will be when international flights go straight to Gan.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Villingili, General Manager at Shangri-La's Villingili Resort and Spa Maldives, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear JemmyButton,

I would like to thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at Shangri-la’s Villingili Resort and Spa, Maldives.

I have noted your comments about the beach which indicates that you stayed in one of our pool villas which are located on the Indian Ocean side of the Island. As you have mentioned, the beach on that side of the island in not suitable for swimming (mainly due to the coral reef), therefore my suggestion would be on your next visit to go for one of our beach villas which are on the lagoon side with a beautiful beach.

I have also noted your comments on our breakfast buffet as well as the flight connection and I am happy to inform you that we are working on both; We are in the process of extending the buffet room and as for the flight connections, there will be an additional two flights in new aircrafts within the coming six months.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay at Shangri-La-s Villingili Resort and Spa for your holiday in the Maldives, my team and I are looking forward to seeing you again soon!

With best regards,

BORDEAUX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

To reach paradise you need to deserve it ! After a 24 hours trip from our hometown we discovered the resort so close to perfection.
First of all, as son as we landed in Gan international airport, we were escorted to the new and exclusive privante belonging to the resort (only opened Few days ago). After a 5 minutes speedboat transfert, a warm welcome awaited us together with a very personalized approach by the resort´s GM, Mr Egle and staff members, we highly appreciated. Then a buggy was waiting for us and we reached our beautiful water villa. On the way we could discover How beautiful and big the Island is, lush végétation, amazing Colors...a first great impression !
Our water villa was located in whispering Palm Area which is one of the best spot to enjoy snorkeling. Villa décoration in subtle and facilities provided are amazing, size of the bathub can événement fit to adults ! À mobile phone was also given to us which we found extremely convenient.
We also loved the 3 restaurants offering different King of delicious dishes : Maldiviań seafood, fine dining, international, Asian...we were particulary happy to know that the resort is working with local farmers and has its own chef´s garden so fresh products are guaranteed here ! A special mention to the seafood bbq every saturday, variety and taste are great.
We were also very impressed by the quality of desserts and pastries amenites in our room, all delicious and very creative dishes.
Finally, we enjoyed the beach area offering all comfort you may need as well as the staff´s attention to details.
To conclude, we would like to thank the entire team of shangri la villingili resort and Spa, we appreciated their professionalism and genuine kindness, which highly contributes to the success of our mémorable holidays in Maldives.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Villingili, General Manager at Shangri-La's Villingili Resort and Spa Maldives, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear kikinet075,

Thank you very much for sharing your staying experience so enthusiastically with us and congratulations for being one of the first to experience our new Executive Terminal at Gan International Airport!

First of all it was a real pleasure meeting you and having you with us. I am glad to hear just how much you have enjoyed your stay.

I have also noted your comments on the team which I will certainly share with them; in particular with our culinary brigade and the pastry chef and team!

I do hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back to your paradise one day.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We were here 3 years ago and loved it. Infact, I am looking again at the Maldives and I am worried that anywhere else will not live up to my expectations. Yes there was one or two problems with the food as my husband is a vegetarian but the staff worked hard to sort things out for him. The villa was a fabulous was a deluxe villa and it was out of this world. The lady who took care of us was called Elsie and she was wonderful. Hope this helps and if anybody else has any idea how we can match this I would love to hear from them.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Villingili, General Manager at Shangri-La's Villingili Resort and Spa Maldives, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear 125Susan,

Thank you for sharing your staying experience here at Shangri-La’s Villingili Resort and Spa.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the services and facilities of the resort and good to hear that the team has managed to work out the vegetarian food.

I have noted your compliments for the team which I will gladly share with all my colleagues and in particular Elsie.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and compliments which we sincerely appreciate.

I do hope you will choose the Maldives and Shangri-La Villingili again this year; I do look forward to welcoming you back!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

im writing this whilest sipping a fresh coconut on the most amazing beach i have ever seen! this must be paradise!

from the moment we arrived in male we were so well looked after, the short flight to gan and a really nice boat ride later we met our really nice willa-host ivy he checked us in & explained everything! our villa is hudge with direct acess to sea & near the housereef where we discover every day new & beautiful sealife!

the main restaurant offers a great menu as well as a special healthy menu and its all so tasty! the breakfast is great im running danger not to loose the christmasweight but thats my foult! dr alis i ave to thank too for the great food an the lovely wedding pavillon expirience its an amzing restaurant & really good food! the prices are absolutley fine!

all the stuff is really lovely! they look so well after us and everything is possible! but they never too personal! amazing service! spa is great and the snorkeling expirience & bikeride in gan were icing on the cake! the gym is soo cool makes even me like sports!

well this is the first time i write on tripadvisor & my 3rd time on maldives but shangri la i will come again as soon as possible!

Thank you soooooo much & in case paradise exsists and its like this i will be a good person to deserve it!
x

• Stayed December 2012
Villingili, General Manager at Shangri-La's Villingili Resort and Spa Maldives, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear parnselm,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your staying experience during the festive season so enthusiastically with us.

It is great to see how much you have enjoyed your stay and that the resorts facilities, activities and services left you with a lasting impression.

I have noted your comments on the team; in particular Ivy and rest assured I will share your compliments with him.

Paradise does exist, it is here and it is yours, you deserve it! With this in mind we hope to see you soon again here at Shangri-La-s Villingili Resort and Spa, Maldives.

With my best wishes,

Mumbai (Bombay), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I am curently at Shangri La and have had a terrible experience. The villa celing was leakng, the food at Dr Ali's was uncooked ( raw chicken) and the Jaavu restaurant staff was discourteous to the point of being rude. Its shocking to see such service given the price they charge.

Chanda

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Villingili, General Manager at Shangri-La's Villingili Resort and Spa Maldives, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
We are aware of the situation and we do everything in our power to rectify the points that have been raised.

I pay personal attention to all feedback and my team and I are ready to assist in making sure that every guest staying with us enjoys a memorable and relaxing holiday.

If guests experience any challenges we do encourage them to let us know and we will most certainly endeavor to put them right.

With best regards,

Rene D. Egle

Been to Shangri-La's Villingili Resort and Spa Maldives? Share your experiences!