“If you have the choice, do not stay here” 2 of 5 stars

Prime City Hotel
20, Jalan Bakawali | Johor Darul Tazim, Kluang 86000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #4 of 8 hotels in Kluang
Amstelveen, The Netherlands
“If you have the choice, do not stay here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Our trip to Malaysia was all planned out on forehand, but we visited this hotel due to some unexpected happenings.

Although we were very glad to get a room with a decent bed (had a genuine good night sleep), the room itself was terrible. The room was smelly (as there was an ashtray I assume you are allowed to smoke), there was mould all over the place. The shower was terrible, if you wan't the water to be hot. The pressure of the water was fine when turned on cold, but warm was not really an option. We went to the receptionist and we got the tip to turn on the shower 10-15 minutes before you want to take a shower, as this should fix the water pressure. Off course this didn't work.

Breakfast is included in the roomprice and is ok.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed at Prime City for 4 nights for my wedding that was taking place in Kluang - 3 nights in the Prime Suite and the fourth night in a Superior room. Despite the negative reviews, we decided to go ahead with the stay as we had taken a tour of the hotel beforehand and it seemed ok.

It was a large group staying with us, all here for the wedding. Most of them stayed in a Superior room and everyone said it was not bad - the rooms and toilets were ok and with no foul smells. Basic amenities were provided and service was good. Breakfast was basic but tasty and filled us up till a late lunch. A few remarked that the hotel was much better than what the previous reviews had made it seem to be. Booking and checking in was also efficient - we had booked many rooms for a large group and nothing was messed up.

The Prime Suite was quite good, actually. It was very spacious, had a really large and comfortable bed (felt bigger than a normal King), dining table for 6, living area with sofa set, writing desk and flat-screen TV, aside from the normal dressing table and wardrobe. It had a balcony with a nice view of Kluang town and in which I managed to catch a nice sunset. It also had complimentary wifi access with strong signal and fast speed.

The Prime Suite was perfect for all my wedding preparation needs - My friends and I spent a lot of time hanging out at the sofa in the living area to eat, relax and catch up before the wedding and in between the wedding events - this was probably the highlight of my stay. The dining table was used for makeup (as it had good natural lighting) for both me and my maid-of-honour at the same time. The room was spacious enough for the photography and videography team to do their work well. I had also hung my wedding dress on the wardrobe knob to display it nicely and coincidentally, there was a small spotlight shining from the ceiling directly onto the dress! A nice little touch! The writing desk was used for my laptop so that my friends and I could get connected to the internet easily. There was also a hair dryer, which I used extensively for my wedding prep.

The bathroom in the suite was also very spacious and clean - my maid-of-honour had her hair stylist do her hair in there because the dressing table was being used by me. They had even brought in a chair for my maid-of-honour to sit on while her hair was being done. That was how big and clean the bathroom was!

In fact, the entire suite was clean and comfortable including the carpeting, sofa set, dining table, chairs and all other furnitures. Only some parts of the wall near the bathroom were worn and stained-looking, but these were easily overlooked and forgotten.

Service was also better than expected - I had asked for a replacement kettle as the original one was not working, and the staff sent me a replacement within minutes. I had also called regarding the wifi access and the staff was polite, knowledgeable and quick to answer my questions.

It was a shame that we had to move to the Superior room for our fourth night. The fault was our own, and not the hotel's, because it was a last-minute plan and by the time we requested for an extension of one night, all the suites were already fully booked. Needless to say, the Superior room was just average and I really missed the suite. Having said that, the Superior room was good enough with basic amenities and nice hot shower.

Location of the hotel is very good for those coming to Kluang by bus and alighting at the main bus terminal which is just a one-minute walk away from the hotel.

The rates are rather high though, for a small-town hotel because of the lack of competition. You pay the same for better hotels in JB. I didn't get a chance to see the City Suite, but go for the Prime Suite if you can afford it and especially if you are celebrating a special occasion. I had made full use of all the amenities in the suite for my wedding preparations and even brought back lots of fond memories of the place.

Room Tip: Go for Prime Suite on a high floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

A group of us had meeting at our manufacturing site in Kluang and there is really only one choice of hotel in Kluang. I'd read the reviews and was pretty much prepared for the hotel. On arrival at reception, I asked to see the rooms and suites. We saw the prime and city suites which were pretty big, the covers looked clean and the bathrooms were acceptable. We checked the superior rooms and they didn't look great. So the suites for about £50 per night were not bad at all. Big bed, fairly comfy, big flat screen tv and fridge with free bottle water. As mentioned sheets were clean and shower was hot. Yes, it could really do with completely gutting but if you do have to stay there, opt for the suites. The breakfast was fine, fresh fried eggs and toast went down well. There was even fried chicken one morning, interesting!

I've definitely stayed in worse.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

Its old but reasonably clean and safe hotel. My room though needs a new mattress as has long past its PRIME (get it?). Aircon was cold as it should be. Sheets were not smelly or dirty. Carpets were new. Room decor was a relic of the past though. Price quite steep for the room -RM230.

• Stayed June 2012
Pasir Gudang, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

The hotel can be condidered the tallest building in Kluang. But after reading all the other reviews, it was not supprising that this hotel was the biggest crap I've stayed in. Somehow, even some Motels (or Ah Kaw Hotel) are better maintened and more pleasant to stay in.

Lobby :- The lobby was quite simple and was OK. The cafe at the lobby did'nt seem to be of an interest as it looks so dull. Lucky the front desk girl was a pretty one and was very polite. That was the only smile I could give throughout my stay.

Parking :- Parking is at level 4 & 5. The journey there was very steep at an angle of almost 30 degrees. Construction was on going but nobody bothered to put some signage of beware or whatsoever.

Room :- The worst experiance of all. Upon entry, was greeted my a stinky smell of like a rotten squid. A have burnt cigar was left on the already stained carpet right beside the writting table. There were stains on the 'newly replaced' bedsheets. Torn wallpaper and a power socket was not working. Had to call room service to cleanup the cigar thing.

Bathroom :- The bathtub was badly stained and looked very worned out. Quite icky to bath in. The toilet was dirty, there was a mould like stain at the bottom. The towel, well if at home, it would be a rag already. But still, it was clean enough to use. Bathroom amenities were quite ok. The hairdryer provided was scary to be used as the cables were so old and there were insulation tapes used to cover something on the haridryer.

View :- Room was at the 12th floor so the view though not impressive but was OK since you could view most of the parts of the city from the room. However the window condition was quite scary.

Breakfast :- With a very minimal choice of food. It was just to fill up our tummy for the morning. The staff though not so friendly but was polite enough. The milk for the cereals was not acceptable to the throat.

Remarks :- Not at all going to stay again unless desparately in need of a place to stay. For the price paid. Still not worth the $$$. Free wifi (speed - average). Free parking. Walking distance to the mall and right beside the Kluang bus station.

Room Tip: If really have to stay at this hotel, insist on the high floors. At least there is a view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Kluang hotels

b,b,bangi,selangor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

As overall the condition of the room are moderate,quite old fashion hotel and the most terrible thing about this hotel is the toilet in the room is very-very dirty.....however the breakfast provided is tasty.

Room Tip: when u get a room, make sure you check the condition of the air cond whether it has problem or not a...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011 via mobile

The worst experience so far. Not my luck as I got smelly room. Smell like dried salty fish.

• Stayed January 2011

Been to Prime City Hotel? Share your experiences!