“Best food, people & views” 5 of 5 stars

Bali Eco Stay Rice Water Bungalows
Kemetug, Kanciana | Desa Gunung Salak, Tabanan, Bali 82113, Indonesia   |
Special Rate
7th Night Free*
“Best food, people & views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

We spent about 4 nights in the largest bungalow here. The accommodation was impressive and we appreciated all of the extra space to relax in.
The strengths of Bali Eco Stay are definitely the food, people & surrounds. Mini's kitchen served the best food I have had all trip. It was so delightful and I really made an effort to try and get through all local dishes on the menu and it's all amazing.
The people here are all beautiful & friendly.
All in all I strongly recommend Eco Stay. Just be aware if you are a city dweller like me, the night sounds may initially come as a shock to you, I assume this is especially the case during the wet season. Having said this, it is something you will easily adjust too.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I must recommend Bali Ecostay. The time and effort put into this unique site resulted in a fantastic stay. Thanks so much to John, cath, mini and the whole crew for making us so welcome and serving some lovely food. The local walks and views are amazing and well worth the journey. We were picked up and dropped off making it so easy to access and all the more relaxing.
We stayed in the Harvest bungalow and loved the extra space and style of building. Just great.
Thanks again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Romford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

When you visit somewhere so beautiful, peaceful and absorbing it's pretty hard to write a review that does not come across a little corny. I'll merely endorse the previous 113 reviews and add that John and family, the delightful Balinese people and this amazing place on earth should be very high on the list of places you must visit. Truly amazing does not come close. And the food in the restaurant is magnificent.

Room Tip: All beautifully designed and not a single aspect I could find fault with.
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We absolutely loved staying at Bali Eco Stay - an extraodinary experience in every way. We stayed at the charming Little Padi bungalow for 5 days and delighted in the wonderful and ever changing views across rice terraces, the constant sound of running water from the stream, the night time frog choruses and fire flies, and the complete peace and relaxation of the place. It was idyllic! All the staff were gracious, warm and hospitable, the food was fantastic (healthy, organic and delicious) the spring water pure and beautiful to drink, and wandering up to the dining room for meals it felt as if we were being looked after with the hospitality of friends and family. We felt we were glimpsing an old Bali, far from tourists. Loved walking nearby through rice terraces and villages. It is an truly inpsiring example of ecotourism with its well thought out environmental management policies and committment to working with the al Balinese communities in a socially responsible and sustainable way. All the praise in the other reviews is true! It is a magical place and we will most definitely be back!

australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband & I stayed at Bali Eco Stay in November for 5 days. We were awed by the beauty and inspired by what John, Cath, Huey, Mini and their staff have created in this amazing location. What an incredible part of Bali. Bali Eco Stay....it is really Bali at its best!!!!
We stayed in Little Padi bungalow - it was perfect, stunning views over the rice paddies.
The first thing I needed to see was the permaculture garden... the garden supplies the veggies to the restaurant. The garden is fabulous. The meals in the restaurant were excellent, my cooking class with Mini was fun and I recommend Pepes Ikan and the homemade icecream is the best in the world!
We just took in all the amazing beauty and the overwhelming energy.... the scenery, walks and the people just blow us away! !!! it was wonderful. I enjoyed simply lying in the pristine river and reading a book...so relaxing and refreshing. I had taken over books & paints/etc for the local school. John took me for a visit....it was beautiful. Next time I visit the school will be renovated. We so loved this amazing place. If you are looking to stay in Bali...please make this resort a must stay....it really is Bali at its best
I embrasse the energy that John & Cath give to the local communities. It will take time...but they will make a difference. We will be back to stay!!!!

Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Our family of 5 recently spent 5 days in the Harvest Bungalow. Everything was just perfect. The accomodation was heavenly,the food was divine (must recommend the Nasi Campur, Nasi Goreng, pizza and homemade icecream as our family's favourites-breakfast was also exquisite) the staff were truly beautiful and the natural environment was stunning. This is the only place we will stay on future trips to Bali (hopefully sooner than later). The highlights of our visit to Ecostay were participating in a children's english class with children from the local village, a cooking class with Mini, carving, basket weaving and flute making with Kadek and 2 of the beautiful elders from the village, aswell as participating in a local village ceremony. I must add that I was very appreciative of the staff's respect for guest privacy which helped in making a truly relaxing experience. During my visit my husband and I felt completely refreshed and at ease. Special thanks to the lovely ladies in the kitchen (we have remembered your names, just not sure how to spell them) and also our driver Made.
On the way home to Australia, we stayed a couple of nights in a luxury villa in Ubud. Although this place was twice the price, it was, in every respect, not a patch on Bali Ecostay.
Looking forward to our next visit and thanks John and Kath for creating this magical paradise.
P.S. One suggestion my husband had was to offer a crash course in Indonesian language.

Room Tip: Harvest room is most spacious
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Despite the promise to myself never to stay in the same place twice in Bali, I am definitely coming back here! I stayed in Buddah which was just perfect for me, but I was able to view all the bungalows and they are all gorgeous.
The setting is completely natural here, so no manicured gardens, just raw natural beauty, not seen in many places. The rice fields were amazing. I did the 2 hour walk thru 3 villages and the barking dogs (funny, you just bend over and they go running off), up hills, thru rice paddies and loved every step. The views were to die for, and being there is much better than a photo could ever depict. You can even swim in the freshwater stream that runs alongside the property, or park yourself under the waterfall!!
I loved all the noises at night, even the resident gecko, that kept all the bugs and mozzies away. Buddah, has no doors even so you are really out in amongst it - but totally safe. I loved it - I spent many hours, reading on my daybed, listening to the stream outside.
The food was delicious - I only ate Indonesian - except for once I had the french fries, and they simply were the best chips I had ever eaten - cooked in coconut oil - yum! Oh and also the icecream - the best!
John took us to see the local school children doing their dance classes one afternoon and another day I watched the Silat martial arts lessons, just near my bungalow. There were plenty of activities, inc massage - so is a great place also for kids.
As a solo traveller, everywhere you go you pay the same rate, that you would for a couple and at sub $100 per night for Buddah, I found that to be very good value. It is a great place for any kind of holiday, whether it be family, honeymoon, solo, retreat, wedding - you can't go wrong.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Bali Eco Stay Rice Water Bungalows? Share your experiences!