“Truly wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alila Villas Soori

You added Alila Villas Soori to your Saves list
Alila Villas Soori
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Banjar Dukuh, Desa Kelating | Kerambitan, Tabanan, Bali 82161, Indonesia   |
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Tabanan
Bridgetown, Barbados
“Truly wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

It took me a while to decide where we'd stay in Bali. We decided on two places beginning with Soori. This was not a good call. As my friend said you don't start with excellent and go to good or even great. We initially booked a Mountain Villa, which was lovely, but once we saw the Ocean Villa we switched. What I loved about Soori Villas was that they're built so you get a view of the natural Balinese scenery and not just a backyard you can get anywhere. This comes with challenges, the beach villas are not private at all. The waves are lovely but may be too loud for some and because the beach is not private you can hear people sometimes in four wheelers driving up and down the beach. This is not a swimming beach, but the view is stunning. We looked at the Semaya resort in Ubud and it's beautiful but missing that unique view that Soori has. This is not the place for you if you want tone able to leave the resort and be somewhere immediately. It is very secluded, which to me was part of its charm. It's great for a last stop on a Bali vacation or a secluded honeymoon romantic or just peaceful getaway. Also, I love food and had just come from eating it up in Melbourne. The food at Soori is truly fantastic kudos to the Chef. The fanciest restaurants in Ubud didn't hold a candle. I can't rave enough about the breakfast in particular. The yoga was also the best I've had on vacation and probably one of the top classes I've had. I took a while to complete this review because I wanted to make sure I wasn't all superlatives but it was and is a truly fantastic place. I can't wait to return.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Jakarta Selatan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I stayed for two days in Ocean Front Villa , and we had the best experience. The villa , the view and the food was perfect. Even though, the resort was far from seminyak i dont feel bored at all because all the facilities that they have.I trully enjoyed my stay in Alila Soori. Definitely will come back soon.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for our honeymoon in August 2012 and it was by far the best hotel we stayed in - ever. The service, the welcome, the situation at the coast, the rooms all was magnificient! The resort is located a bit remote from the villages, but that is just the thing we were looking for.

We took several massage treatments in the SPA and it has been by far the best treatment we ever encountered (and we have been in many SPAs around the world).

The whole resort is very modern and stylish. We booked a One Bedroom Ocean View Pool villa. It was really great, design, facilities, the view - everything fits in these rooms.

The food in the restaurants was excellent. The staff was extremly forthcoming. My wife is a vegetarian. One night there was a barbecue at the beach accompanied with a show of local dancers. It was very romantic and we enjoyed it a lot. The restaurant staff had prepared a special meal for my wife, as they noticed that she already had the two vegetarian dishes served that evening a few nights before. We didn't find such kind of service since then, and not before either.

All in all this resort is recommendable in every way if you are seeking peace and quietness, a beautiful sea view and beach, delicious food, one of the best SPAs in the world and a very well trained and forthcoming, friendly and efficient staff. Our stay there is unforgettable!

Room Tip: Book an Ocean View Pool Villa if you would like to have really great views of the sea!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

My friend's aunt won 2 nights stay at Alila Villas Soori which she so kindly gave to my friend and I. It was our first trip to Bali and also first stay at a villa.

We rented a car, the drive there from the airport took about an hour, going through quite a few small narrow roads on the way. Better to have an experienced driver if you intend to drive there on your own.

Upon reaching, the staff gave us a tour. There's a gym, common pool, restaurant and even a beach at the back, though they told us not to go swimming due to the strong current. But sunset there was beautiful. They then brought us to our villa with mountain view. The view is really breathtaking, green padi field and mountain afar. We can also see the sunrise from our villa.

The room itself is generally clean, except that there are ants and mosquitoes, but I supposed this is normal in villas seeing as we are at the ground floor and surrounded by nature. They do have the mosquito repellant device in the room, I see a few dead mosquito lying around sometimes. Both my friend and I didnt have any mosquito bites. There are also fallen leaves and flowers in our pool so we didnt swim in it as well, though all these are cleaned up the next day. There's bathtub, rain shower, outdoor rain shower, 2 sinks/mirrors so you can both use at the same time. Tv filled with movies and shows, a few books on the shelf.

If you are looking for a place to relax and spend all your time in, I would recommend this. If you are planning to go places, it would be better to get a hotel/villa situated more conveniently.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We will not recommend this hotel to others who are particular about service and will not consider this hotel for our future stay.

I found it shocking that the hotel packed my family and 8 other people in a mini bus. We had to travel for 1.5 hours amidst conversation from the group. The hotel has planned transport based on convenience without considering the experience they offer to guests.

The hotel did not address their guests by names, service was bad and their matress provide poor back support. The only good experience I had was the driver who sent us from the hotel to airport - he drove safely and ensure the ride was a comfortable one.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Irra M, General Manager at Alila Villas Soori, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear creative15,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am saddened to hear that we did not deliver the level of service that you would expect. This is certainly not the level of service we aspire to, as we constantly strive to delight our valued guests. Please accept my apologies for the shortcomings you experienced and the inconvenience caused.

I much appreciate your feedback and rest assured all the issues you mentioned in your review have been addressed. Once again, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience the way we hoped you would.

We also hope that you would give us another opportunity to welcome you back to Alila Villas Soori in the future, and appreciate you contacting me personally when you have plans to return.

Kind regards,

Irra Malik
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Sometimes fate conspires against you, at other times the stars align and you become the recipient of great fortune. The latter happened to us when we were fortunate enough to win a trip to Alila Villas Soori through a national newspaper.

As I write this, I can hear the lapping of the water from our private pool and the roar of the ocean waves breaking on the black volcanic sand beach only 20 metres beyond. It is a sound I could listen to all day. Forgive the poetic overtones, but this review is a product of its environment. AVS is simply breathtaking.

We arrived after nightfall, having been met at the airport and fast-tracked through the controls, and chauffeured to the resort. My head was spinning as I got out of the car and was greeted with a smile and a cup of ginger and honey tea. I was slack jawed as I saw the scene in front of me, the view over the ocean, the lobby area, next to a pool of water with a flaming centrepiece.

We were given the briefest of tours and introduced to our host, a wonderful, kind man, and walked to our villa. The darkness gave the resort a magical quality. As we entered the villa, seeing and hearing the ocean through the open sliding doors in the rear of the building, all I could do was laugh. The villa is spotless, spacious, beautifully furnished. The bed is a delight, the bathroom immense and spectacular. Our luggage had magically appeared, with not a word said.

We were presented with a menu and asked to make our selection. In the time it took us to get our bearings in our new home, the food arrived, and we dined in our cabana to candlelight and the sound of the ocean. Perfection, and the food was divine.

Breakfast the following morning was better still, exposing me to tastes and dishes I had never experienced. In the evening, we sat on the beach and watched a glorious sunset as the bats from a nearby cave set out for the night, amazing. Dinner in the open sided restaurant was excellent.

Our host must be a magician, or psychic. When we've needed something he has just appeared, our villa is serviced when we are out, how they know this is a mystery. Fresh and delicious fruit appears without warning and seemingly spontaneously.

We leave tomorrow for the sister resort - Uluwatu, perhaps it can be as good as this, but better? I'm not sure anything could be.

In every review I write, I promise myself I will be objective, and will highlight the good and the bad. I have been objective here, and cannot highlight one single negative point. We love this place. Our huge and heartfelt thanks go to the staff and management of AVS for making us feel so welcome and so relaxed. This has been an unforgettable experience.

I cannot comment on the price and value, this has cost us not one penny. I don't know what it costs to say here, but rest assured, it is thoroughly worth it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

What a very special Nyepi is this year of 2014 for me. That day of “silence” for Balinese Hindu which falls on 31 March this year. As the first Nyepi for us as family since the born of our beloved baby Princess, we have the privileged to spend it at one of Bali’s best hideaways hotel, Alila Villas Soori (AVS). We started our AVS experience right where live, Pantai Berawa Canggu. We were picked up by 2 cars belong to AVS. 1 car is designated just to carry our luggage’s. They both 15 minutes to 13.00 because we told them we would like to be pick up by 13.00. Precisely that requested hour us four adults-2 kids and a baby as a family we leave our house. It is quite gave me an impact impression for them to come on time without asking our exact of whereabouts of our house. That is having acquainted by the struggling of Balinese staff to provide on time service. It costs us US$ 40 per trip. But it is all worthed, especially after you know that it is not easy find your way to find AVS, as well as finding your way out.

It took us about 40 minutes to get there from our house, means about 90 minutes from the airport. Before the car move the driver greeted us cheerfully, giving us all some cold towel to freshen us up and informing the estimated time arrival. It is such a pleasant drives, everybody was in a good mood. Our eldest is at front, baby K on the car-seat in the middle row between me and my wife. Our second child is at the back seat with my mother and a nanny. As it is one night before Nyepi day, so we see people preparing them self for the occasion such as preparing their Ogoh-ogoh, offerings and some occasion our car need to give ways for convoy of people wearing their traditional dresses going to nearest “pura” chanting their prayers.

Typical Alila, we were presented with an impressive architectural entrance with a calm and tranquil lobby. It remind us again with the tranquil combining with beauty of Alila Uluwatu, its terrace formations that are arranged in a series of different levels where its villa are scattered, blend together to create a vivid portrait of the landscape. It offers a total of 48 luxurious well furnished and designed villas and got some good publicity as the “residence for the rich and famous” and a favorite holiday destination for celebrities from Hollywood and all over the world.

We were greeted by the Executive Assistant Manager Steven Schmid and guided by his staff for all around hotel information and to our 3 bedroom villa. They provide us with a buggy for the whole family to our villa. Our 3 days and 2 nights stay will be spoiled by a quite large private pool, it definitely cheering our two boys. The well trained staff surprised me by showing me that there is actually lower level which we find a long wood dining table beside complete home kitchen set, with two doors refrigerator that is. I humbly admitted it is far above our home kitchen. Beside the long table there is a comfortable sofa facing big screen tv, looks like it is the villa’s living room. Quickly our eldest booked that place for him to nest the whole time we stay there. Most surprisingly it turns out that there is another bedroom complete with its own toilet.

Just like in Alila-Uluwatu and Candidasa we really fond of Alila-living products such as soap, shampoo and all kind of lotions. So when we seen his and her bathrooms we feel in heaven. Not only that , we saw a baby package consist of all kind of powder and lotion that our baby needs. They do not forget to have a cute teddy bear in it. First time I experience it and it is a nice feeling indeed. My wife falls in love particularly with the pillow they provide. She tried to check out what brand are they but failed because she can not find any brand attached to them.

The food are great, actually they have two restaurant “Cotta” and “Ombak” but seems that we can have both menu in any of the two. We eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at “Cotta” because seems to me that “Ombak” setting is for drinking. They have adequate meal on the menu catering Asian and western tastes. 1st dinner we had varieties of Indonesian food ranges from Soto soup, Chicken sate and assorted seafood. They have a lovely reading room where kids and adult would enjoy to read some books provide by AVS. It can also serve as dinning place as those who are not favored night wind and naughty mosquitos during dinner time.

We did not get the chance to enjoy to play on its unique black sandy beach but I can see some couple were strolling enjoying what must be romantic talk between them as friendly waves wet their feet. I can see why this place easily be a favorite place for couples as I proved my self from my 2 nights observation during eating time, that the only family stays there is just us and other two families. Others are couples.

Our villa serves us well in catching up story with my mother and enjoying playing with two boys and our baby. We spend much of our time chatting with my mother gave a lot of advices for us and the baby a lot. Our eldest enjoying its strong signal wi-fi wherever he open his laptop in the villa. While ou rsecond child is happy already with the private pool which he used at least two times in a day. He is glued to his kids tv while he is not swimming.

AVS also provides free bicycles and the US$ 30/30min two wheel Segway to go around and having fun. As I did have fun on bicycles before we checked out to go around the hotel and enjoy the village feeling as I cycled crossing the paddy field and villages nearby.

What a memorable stay we had in AVS, makes my wife talking about Alila Ubud and the coming of Alila in North Sulawesi. To sum it in one word my impression so far with Alila is…perfection.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabanan
Alila Villas Uluwatu
The Samaya Bali
The Samaya Bali
#5 of 122 in Seminyak
5.0 of 5 stars 1,402 reviews

Been to Alila Villas Soori? Share your experiences!