“Heaven in Green” 5 of 5 stars
Review of COMO Shambhala Estate

You added COMO Shambhala Estate to your Saves list
COMO Shambhala Estate
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Banjar Begawan, Desa Melinggih Kelod | Payangan, Ubud, Payangan, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Payangan
Oakland, California
“Heaven in Green”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left this was a pleasure. It's such a peaceful romantic getaway for your mind, body and spirit. My wife and I spent our 10th anniversary in Bali and stayed here only two nights out of our stay. What a mistake. You need more time there. It really is a special place and worth every penny. Be sure to take advantage of all they have to offer such as yoga, treatments, hydrotherapy, bike rides, rafting and more. I expect to be back!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Dr_hotel72,

Warmest greetings from peaceful Banjar Begawan!

We would have to agree that 2 days definitely are not enough to experience the Estate. However, we sensed that you have done well in exploring what The Estate has to offer in terms of its services, peaceful surroundings and the pure Balinese grace. On your second visit, you might want to consider joining one of our wellness programme to gain more benefits from staying with us. Our wellness programme is designed to start off with a private consultation to discuss personal goals and requirements. We believe that this proactive approach allows us to deliver a balanced combinations of meals, treatments and activities in a way that also allows two people sharing an accommodation to opt for and do different programmes. Till then, should you miss us and look for something closer to home, Metropolitan by COMO, Miami Beach has opened already.

Thank you again for all of your kind words and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back soon to the Estate.

Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Korean first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

This place is magical. Really magical. Those "once in a lifetime" places that should be on your "I have to go here before I die" list. It's so unique and wonderful, you have to see it to believe it, the photos on the website don't begin to capture what it's like to stay here. Since arriving home, I have convinced 3 colleagues to go and stay at Como for their own holidays, so they can experience what I was fortunate enough to experience. It was love at first sight.

I did the 6 day stress management program, and found it to have the perfect balance of activities, spa treatments and down-time for relaxing, that I have come home rested, relaxed and recharged completely. Thank you Como Shambhala, my time with you was amazing and a lifetime memory.

So on with the details:

- the hotel staff: so kind, warm and lovely. Right from the GM who makes everyone individually welcome(Paul), to my personal assistant (Kariyasa) who put up with all my weird requests and changes with a lovely smile, and all the restaurant, grounds and spa staff who constantly brought a smile to my face throughout the day. Throught the resort there were just warm, wonderful people who would do anything to make you feel special and nothing was ever a bother, no matter how small or trivial or how big and annoying. The personal assistant is your key to having a great time at the Estate; use them (in a nice way of course). Thank you to ALL the staff, without you, I would not have had half the experience I had. Paul, I promise I am coming back for round two soon...

- the professional staff (Eve the Dietition, Dave the Chinese medicine practitioner, Aryuvedic doctor and yoga/meditation guru, Amy the pilates instructor): so helpful, knoweldgable and generous with their time (outside the paid consultations). Thanks to Eve and Dave particularly; I am implementing your suggestions at home - you are marvels. Also special shout out to Tamal and his yoga class, for making us smile and do really hard poses at the same time; you are one of a kind Tamal!

- the food: is RIDICULOUSLY good (thanks chef team); I was there 7 days and never bored or at a loss what to order (and I was on a restricted menu). The quality of ingredients and the freshness is outstanding. I could ramble on about this forever. I won't, you'll just have to see for yourself.

- the rooms: Wanakasa 5 was where I stayed and it was lovely. Totally private and at the edge of the jungle. My only feedback would be in addition to air con, having the option of a fan would be lovely (in light of the natural environment), as air con can get a bit much after a few days. As to the choice of residence, a lot of guests that I met, love and swear by Tirta Ening residence also. Personally, I looked around the property when selecting my room (yes, they are kind enough to let you do this), and I loved the energy in Wanakasa, but would be totally willing to try somewhere new next time.

- the activities: fantastic selection of things to do if you wanted (and no pressure if you did not). I think there could be more yoga and more meditation, but that's what I am really into, so next time, I would ask for that in advance. Weirdly, and despite all my instincts that this class was for grandmas, the Aqua Therapy class is amazing and not be missed. I would recommend the water temple ritual at the start of your trip and a trip to the Balinese healer. I loved both these (additional cost) activities. There are still so many things I want to do when I go back (yes, it's official, I'm re-booking to go back).

- the Estate/hotel grounds: this place is where I want to end up when I die. The grounds are stunning, the pools down by the river are not to be missed. It's a hike, but good exercise and worth it. The amount of special spots on this Estate cannot be counted, but look hard enough and you'll be sure to find yours (I love the little meditation hut down by the river - bliss). The Estate walk, escorted or alone, is a must do at some point (although it may be a challenge for some; it's steep).

Overall, seven days there felt like a year in heaven and I can't get back there fast enough. This is the kind of place that when you are there, you catch yourself grinning to yourself many times throughout the day, when you realise how lucky you are to be there.

Room Tip: I loved Wanakasa, the infinity pool over the jungle is incredible and it feels like you are part of...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Legally_Blonde112,

As far as reviews go, I cannot think of a more perfect or heartfelt review a hotelier would want to read. Guests often remarked on how magical and healing COMO Shambhala Estate was – in various and unique ways - for them (one wrote online on how a little miracle came to them at night in a form of firely frolicking around their head, creating an illusion of “twinkling magic“ ). I am happy to know that you felt it too.

And thank you so much for recommending us to your friend and being our “Ambassador” (so to speak!). It means a lot to us.

All your beautiful comments on staff, food and activities have been shared with the team. They are happy to know that they have helped making your stay magical. Since it is official you are rebooking back, please give a chance to our challenging Guided Adventures such as Mount Abang Ascent or the combination of Mount Batur Descent and Kintamani Freewheel so they can wow you with their strength.

The whole team at the Estate and I look forward to welcoming you back for another magical stay soon!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I want to start this review by explaining that my husband and I stayed in a two bedroom retreat villa, which enjoys it's own four walls - entirely cut off from the quad-concept. I thought long and hard about whether that was a necessity for our trip, and I am glad that I splurged for the privacy. We had our own pool (which we requested to be heated 24 hours in advance and I'm so glad I did), and just generally benefitted from the complete seclusion. I think that I would have been disappointed to have shared a pool, in all honesty. My favorite time at CS was when we were all by our lonesome, admiring the view, without a disruption in the world. Those memories will be cherished forever.

The estate is absolutely gorgeous. We visited some hotels in Ubud, including Uma, and I'm sorry but the Como Shambhala Estate is just other-worldly. I ate and ate and ate, so I can't imagine complaining about the stairs and built-in exercise. We really appreciated it! My husband and I had private yoga sessions every day. Our teacher was magnificent, and the location of the classes was beautiful and serene. Our hosts were attentive and thoughtful and discreet. The food was out-of-this-world good. My daily massages were outstanding. Our two bedroom villa was memorable and so comfortable.

We also tried bike-riding twice (a highlight), arranged a visit to two local schools (another highlight), did a rice-paddy trek (yet another highlight), and enjoyed a private picnic near the river (yet another highlight). It sounds like we were very busy during our four night stay, but aside from what I've described in our review, we did absolutely nothing. Tons of sleep, lots of great food, and lots of R&R. I can still CS (might be because of all the products I purchased to remember our time there!), and I really hope I can return someday.

Room Tip: I loved the privacy of the two bedroom villa.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear BrookMeakins,

Greetings from sunny and beautiful Bali!

Thank you so much for your review capturing the essence of COMO Shambhala Estate in Bali – the words of praise from such a seasoned reviewer as yourself mean the world to us all here.
Choosing the right room suitable to your need is a crucial thing. It is something that can “make” or “break” the Estate experience. Our Retreat villa with its heated pool is definitely an ideal environment for you to unwind and relax. Your experiences sums up everything and more we wish for all our guests wanting to regain some balance in life and being cocooned in a “little bit of Heaven”!

Should we have another opportunity to host you at the Estate again, we hope you will have the opportunity to visit our natural water source at Kedara. The villagers in Begawan believe that the Source – where the rich in minerals water of our pool originated from - is a holy one with healing power. We often hold religious blessing ceremonies there which are performed by a local celebrant and an assistant who guide the guest through the event. The blessing takes approximately 20 minutes, during which the celebrants pray for the guest’s safety, health and happiness.

Once again, thank you for appreciating what we do here and for recommending that others come and experience the same.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Como Shambhala

Because we arrived sort of off their normal schedule, I wasn't too surprised that we were not to be able to meet with our personal assistant till late the next day. However we were only doing a 3 day stay, with several treatments included, so we were anxious to work these in to our days.

While I had tried to do this by email, I was told arrangements would be made upon arrival, but on arrival, things weren't available so coordination is not a real strong plus here.

We've stayed at Amandari, Amankila, the Chedi, and Conrad - they are all great hotels and I've written very positive TA reviews for all of them. They are different in price points and style, which is reflected in quality of service and accommodations.

I was expecting something along the lines of the Chedi and Amandari at Como Shambala. I have to say I was a little disappointed at first but I did warm up to the place. The service, the quality and upkeep of the grounds and rooms is not up to the standards of either of those to hotels. At Amandari things are a little over the top as far as sparkling and pristine. So I rather enjoy the mossy walls of the elegant Chedi. But at Como, things weren't as well looked after and the design of the place just isn't elegant enough to get away with being a bit off.

However, they have a very difficult site to work with - a steep ridge with expansive terraced grounds. Around the prime areas of the pools, the landscaping is just is a bit thin and not well kept or luxuriant. The bathrooms had stained, chipped, cracked and poorly repaired terrazzo. It's more homey than elegant. The interior woodwork throughout is beautiful quality and well done. The food both healthy and delicious.

The quad arrangement of rooms doesn't give you absolute privacy. So you can hear your neighbors but most are considerate. Some quads are more attractive that others, not sure how assignments are given. Even though its a small resort, you are more aware of other guests than at either the Chedi or Amandari.

The workout room is minimal without a view, similar in size to the Chedi, although the Chedi's is prettier and overlooks rice paddies.

One of the most obvious difficulties for the resort is the stairs, everywhere. The dining room has about 25 steps down and then up - no handrails. The more attractive pool is down by the spring, about 150 uneven and steep steps, half way to the Ayung river. I rather liked the climbs up and down in order to get a little exercise, but you certainly wouldn't want to have a drink or two and then manage the steps, or manage them with any rain, or in dim lighting.

Someone else commented on the Ayung commercial rafting, it does seem to be a constant flow which could get a little old if relaxing by the pool. Only the therapeutic pool was the only heated pool, so I did not get to enjoy our quad's gorgeous pool or the pool closer to the river. Nor did I see anyone else using them.

There are just a lot of steps throughout the resort - Amankila has this issue too. With the up and down there are lots of hidden bales and open pavilions, which require substantial efforts to keep clean of leaves, mold and droppings, as I mentioned Como is not pristine.

The vista to the river and surrounding farms is very pretty. It is a lovely setting in the trees with steep landscapes from the tree house like balconies of the villas.

We did do one of their service included deals, I think you'd be bored if you didn't. This destination doesn't offer car service into town, so it's best if you enjoy relaxing in situ. I guess if you've never been to a spa before they might have some new ideas or you. I found it fairly standard fair compared to a miraval, red mtn, canyon ranch or some others where they offer more sophisticated treatments.

Como does excel with their food and an amazing menu and selection of offerings. I loved the low cal options which were creative and delicious. We probably wouldn't go back but I did warm up to the place.

Room Tip: The first room they gave us really bothered my allergies, an instant headache - the older rooms have...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear hhl,

Thank you for posting a review on COMO Shambhala Estate. We are thrilled to learn that you enjoyed our dishes especially the low carb options. We have passed your compliment to our F&B team and to our Executive Chef. They were overjoyed to learn that their work is being appreciated.

The Estate’s look is about being natural and lush that reflected to our “manicured” jungle look. A look that many appreciate considering, as you have eloquently written, the “very difficult site to work with - a steep ridge with expansive terraced grounds.” The number of steps/stairs the guests need to “go through” to go around the Estate certainly has created a mixed feeling between them.

We pride ourselves as a resort that strive to put our guest’s happines and wellbeing first. Our accomodation has been designed, exterior and interior, to show case certain theme such as our Residences are the element of nature (fire, wood, wind, water and earth) that resulted in a distinct style – from bold, primitive-style to grand Majapahit Era style. A minimalistic – parred down style can be found in our 1 or 2 bedroom Retreat Villas. We are glad that you have found one room that is to your liking. Should the guest express their preferences e.g. apprehension of steps during the reservation process, we are confident that we can find the most suitable room for them. This leads us to your comment on the reservation process also the condition of bathrooms. We have taken your comments to heart and issues that can be easily altered has been done already. Should you find your way back to us, we hope you can see the difference.

I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back again soon.

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

After having watched a documentary on this hotel I told my husband we should visit this place, and so my husband and I stayed 5 nights at the Wanakasa residence in one of the terrace suites. I must say service, location and architecture of the hotel are impeccable, and to the very last detail. If you want to have a bit of a jungle adventure (if you are lucky you get to see wild monkeys at the estate), fabulous views for breakfast and in various points of the resort, and a very exiting walk along the river Ayung whilst exercising (the Estate walk requires good physical condition), but with all the comfort and luxury of your own home, you don't even need to get out of this hotel!! Honestly the "Bali exotic experience" is in the estate itself.
The only remark I have is that there was an area of the river on the way to the spring pools where the public rubbish coming down the river seems to pile up. This is at the very start of the walk from Wanakasa, I noticed this the second day and was going to raise this but when I came down the day after the area was completely clean. Obviously the staff of the hotel gave it a good clean and do this quite regularly.
I really like this concept of butlers/personal butler that they have like at the Ritz in London. This feature really is an asset which sells the hotel. What makes a hotel really a 5 star superior* is impeccable service and discretion, and I must say our butler TinTon always knew where we were (he came every morning to our breakfast table to check on us) but we felt we had privacy all along. Discretion was a highly respected word during our stay, and every request from us was promptly followed up by TinTon.
The spring pool area and the way to these pools is magical.. incredible that you can swim in natural water..!! Only hotel I know which has this feature. There are so many waterfalls and it is so green and lush down there, yet so well looked after and luxurious.. perhaps a reservation is that there did not seem to be a way to contact the reception from down there and they do not seem to have personnel staying permanently there for the guests, even though when you arrived someone poped up out of nowhere to give us a nice glass of water with a lime on it and a refreshing towel. I think something like a walkie talkie or some sort of "intercom" for the guests to connect with the reception would make the place even more perfect and even more luxurious.
The place really is kept so naturally, there is little to no concrete, no "warning" of "health and safety" signs, no safety rope, nothing which ruins the natural beauty of the place.. and I absolutely loved that fact.
To top it up we were greeted by a Swiss gentleman who happened to be the manager of the hotel (probably because we mentioned we had seen the documentary of this hotel prior to our arrival).

With all the hotels I rated, this one compares to Al Maha in Dubai. These hotels are really one of a kind, a different breed to all other hotels in the world.

I look forward to visiting this magical place again!

Room Tip: We had a tour around the hotel and we were shown a considerable number of rooms, and honestly all ro...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear LucyD,

Warmest greetings from the Swiss Gentleman of COMO Shambhala Estate!

Thank you so much for acknowledging us as one of a kind. It makes us feel “Fabulous”. Nothing makes us happier than to learn that you enjoyed your stay and sharing your kind comment to the world about our service and facilities.

Overusage of plastic is an ongoing issue in Bali and its effects are starting to show in the ecology system e.g. flooding. We apologize that you were subjected to unpleasant visual of how the plastic waste affects Bali environment during your stay. You have correctly guessed in your review that we clean the area regularly. In the rainy season, we schedule it daily! And we are working closly with the local communities and schools for improvements and teaching ways to go forward. The Estate are organising regularly "cleaning blitz" in and around our villages with great success and support of the communities!

We have passed your compliment to Tinton. It is always a pleasure to know that we manage to strike the right cord of proactive and discreet service that create a harmony of excellence service. We are now looking at what we can do on methode of communication like a walkie talkie or a phone to connect the guest at ourfresh water/spring pool area (Kedara) to the nearest staff. Hopefully, if you find your way back to us, the changes at Kedara will be to your liking.

We hope to welcome you both back home to the little Paradise in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I went here in September with a girlfriend for some R&R! The service, the food, the property, the amenities, were beyond our expectations! If I had to describe the term, Just stop and smell the roses, this place is it. It's a great stay for long walks in the forrest, the best organic food I've ever eaten, the fresh juices could not be matched anywhere on earth. There's many choices as far as the spa goes from dieticians to masseuses, accupuncture, yoga, chi gong and more! I will come back here

Room Tip: The universe will decide which room or location on this paradise. You cannot go wrong
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear gogo2014,

Greetings from Heaven!

Thank you very much for posting the review. We're so glad to hear that we are the "It" place - a place where it is worthwhile to stop and appreciate the simple things in life. Here in the lushness of Begawan Village, we are blessed not only with the beauty of nature but also with its healing grace.

On a personal note, I am loving your room tip! Trust the universe and your Higher Powers to take care of the details. They will - if we do our part and become crystal clear about how we want it to feel when it arrives and then, blissfully, let it go. So our first step should be to visualize! You have the advantage of knowing us therefore you will not have any problem doing it for (we hope) any upcoming visit.

All of us at COMO Shambhala Estate look forward to welcoming you back home to Banjar Begawan in the near future.

Venice, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the COMO Shambhala Estate in Ubud. The resort is stunning with lovely villas offering tranquility and complete privacy. Breakfast each morning was fantastic and the food overall was fresh and well-prepared. COMO's staff was top-notch and Paul was extremely professional, kind, and accommodating. There were significant internet connection problems during my stay, but apparently the internet goes down regularly in the area and it isn't the resort's fault.

I opted for the "Be Active/Get Fit" program as I was looking for a detox/more intensive physical/health program to kick off 2014. I found the activities offered as part of this program disappointing as they seem to be geared more towards older individuals who are not currently in very good physical condition. The aqua fitness class involved 15 minutes of walking around in water and then laying down on chairs with massage jets of varying pressures, the mini-yoga and qi gong classes were no longer than 30 minutes each and involved more laying down and breathing, the bike ride was nice but short, and the only time my heart rate actually increased was during my one individual personal training session (which was AMAZING!). I wouldn't recommend the Be Active/Get Fit program for anyone who is already in decent physical shape as it isn't much of a challenge.

That program aside, the actual resort is fantastic with stunning views and gorgeous pools. Walk down 350 steps to the rock pool with a view of the waterfall, it'll be worth it!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear happykittn,

Greetings from Bali and the island of the Gods and a thousand temples!

Thank you for sharing with us your experience – your praise of our stunning nature, our staff and our cuisine as well as your comments about our Wellness Programme are much appreciated.

We are glad that you liked and enjoyed the water garden, Kedara. The water is naturally rich in minerals and originates from our own natural source, which the villagers in Begawan believe to be a holy one with healing powers.

I am very sorry to read that you feel our Be Active programme was not suitable for your purpose. The programme starts with a wellness consultation where our guests can make informed decisions about the activities they would like to do.

Looking into the activities you have sampled, we sense that our more challenging Guided Adventures such as the Mount Abang Ascent or the combination of Mount Batur Descent and Kintamani Freewheel weren’t given a proper chance to show you their strength and uniqueness. Should you come back to the Estate, we hope you can try them and if luck would have it, they will be able to convince you of their worth.

I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back again soon – till then, I leave you with best wishes of good health and happiness.

Paul

Been to COMO Shambhala Estate? Share your experiences!