“Hanging in the Rain!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hanging Gardens Ubud

You added Hanging Gardens Ubud to your Saves list
Hanging Gardens Ubud
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Desa Buahan Desa Payangan, Payangan, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Payangan
London
“Hanging in the Rain!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

There is nowhere better to be on a rainy day in Bali! The Hanging Gardens is in the most truly spectacular setting perched on the side of a verdant valley north of Ubud. The villas are well positioned overlooking the valley with great views and lovely infinity pools! We stayed for 2 nights eating at the amazing restaurant on the first night where we were treated to the most delicious and impressive meal though the wine was very expensive - £50 for a bottle of Jacob's Creek! We ate in Ubud on the second night in an amazing restaurant called Lamak - which we'd thoroughly recommend. Back at the hotel the spa / massages were amazing and the private cookery course was brilliant - even in the rain!! Staff / service was excellent.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

We stayed at Ubud hanging gardens for 4 nights as the second leg to our honeymoon.

Firstly- let's dispel some myths.

Ubud Hanging Gardens is not in Ubud- and it is not- repeat not, a LUXURY hotel.

Also- if you come here, expect rain…a lot of rain.

The hotel setting is stunning, the main building impressive, the pool a masterpiece of design- but the whole grandeur of the place is negated by a lack of attention to detail, poor design and build quality- and bad standards of upkeep.

Which asks the question- why go to all the trouble of building a hotel on the side of a cliff if you aren't going to do it properly or at least keep what you have built cleaned and maintained?

Our villa (a deluxe panoramic pool villa) was already looking very tired and worn. The woodwork was rotting in places, the bathroom blind had thick black mould on, the tiles in the pool had a strange staining to them. The general feel of the place was certainly not of luxury accommodation. Even the 'panorama' of our 'panoramic villa' was spoilt by the thatched roof of the villa below us- which resembled a large, wet dog spoiling a majestic vista.

The villa itself felt cramped- a theme that run through the complex by virtue of it's geography. The bathroom- though disproportionately large- was a dark and unappealing space to be in which smelt dank and musty. The bath itself was huge, yet looked dirty, cracked and unwelcoming.

The villa walls inside and out were covered in the remnants of swatted insects that hadnt been cleaned up, the outdoor private pool felt like it could do with re-tiling or at best a damn good scrub. The water is only heated in the evening and not all day long, so in the cool air it was too cold to swim.

The outdoor 'romantic bath' area looked rather like a large bath surrounded by unplastered breeze blocks, topped with a corrugated plastic roof. I kid you not- it was an utter eye sore. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind would choose to bath in it.

The food in the restaurant was a moronic, over-fussy affair. I love inventive cuisine, but the chef here clearly doesn’t have the muscle or skill required to pull it off. I've never taken so long looking blankly at a menu- trying to decide which dish I thought was the least idiotic.

Too add insult to injury- It seems the hotel had reserved most of its energy for inventing the mark ups for the wine list. You'll pay twice much here as you will in town for exactly the same wine. A bottle of Cloudy Bay Pinot Noir that will set you back £22 in the UK will set you back roughly £120 here. Bonkers- even with the import duty factored in.

The main pool area- which looks so inviting on the web site makes for an amusing swim/photo shoot experience for 10 minutes, but the water is too cold for the cool mountain climate. The wall that plummets to the lower tier is covered in algae and (should the sun ever shine) the 'shroud of turin' foam sun beds on the lower deck are so vile- there is no way a sane person would lie on one. On the way here we must of driven past 50 places that make beautiful woven sun beds- I'd imagine a set of eight would cost less than a nights profit from one villa?

The German couple that we teamed up with for river rafting nervously brought the subject of rooms up on our trip- and basically spelt out exactly the same as we were thinking, which was a relief to hear- it wasn’t that we just got the only bad villa. This place is not what we were hoping for- nor what the price bracket implies.

At £330 a night we are talking top London Hotel money for essentially what is a sub standard room with a view in a county where £330 is well over a months income for the average person.

I am baffled to read rave reviews of this place. I can only assume that these people are easily pleased and haven’t visited a truly luxury or even well run hotel- and are blinded by the vistas, stunning as they are. Yes- the staff are friendly enough, but being asked 10 times 'did you have a nice breakfast?' does not constitute good service.

I am not a hotelier- but I do have an eye for detail and can spot mould on blinds, faulty light bulbs, spider webs and rotten wood- and I know that you can sweep a dirty wooden floor all day long and it will still be dirty unless you wash it.

My wife noted that some of the bad reviews of Ubud Hanging Gardens come with rebuffs and excuses from the manager and promises to 'do better or make improvements'. Well- I'm sorry, answering bad reviews is one thing, actually doing something about sub standard, £300+ a night rooms is another.

I suggest the manager sleeps in our villa, swims in the pool, lounges on the day bed, washes in the bath, and tries to do his hair in the dingy bathroom before he puts on his now odd smelling shirt and goes for dinner.

To put this all in to a context, for the same money we paid for this place, we had a villa 4 times the size in Jimbaran beach (notably with the same hotel group) that was finished to an infinitely better standard, had a gigantic, lush garden, a large private pool and butler service. By comparison this place felt a bit like a prison sentence.

Luckily for us they messed up our booking and we got out a day earlier than we'd planned and headed back to the beach.

We had a nice time despite of our experience, but one doesn’t spend £330 a night for 'despite of'. Looking back now I wish I'd kicked up a fuss and demanded a discount, but at the time I didn’t want to spend my honeymoon getting irate with a hotel manager.

If you absolutely must come here, two nights is plenty. Try the rafting and yoga- both of which were brilliant (but out sourced and can be booked cheaper directly), and a meal in Moziac should not be missed if you can strech the pennies.

I'd strongly advise you to look at other options though, on our rafting trip we passed a few really nice looking hotels- and were left thinking of what might have been.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Amarillo, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in the panaromic deluxe view room which was more expensive since it was one of the top level rooms. The staff were very nice and every staff member seem to know us by our name the next day. It's a very quiet and serene setting. Most of the time you only hear the birds, insects or the roosters from your room. Breakfast was buffet style but I wish they would make fresh waffles and pancakes. Being vegetarians the choice of dinner menu was a little restrictive to us but the manager at the restaurant was nice enough to accommodate our requests. What was shocking was the price of the food. Without drinks and no meat items our first dinner cost us 90 us dollars but the nice setting of the restaurant made up for it. The major disappointment was the private so called heated pool. The day we arrived the water in the pool was too cold so we waited till the next day but even the next day it was cold so we told the receptionist. They told us that an engineer will take care of it. But again the water was cold and since we had come from a whole days trip from Kintamani we could not wait 2-3 hours for the water to warm up to take a plunge. The third day we complained the water got a litlle better but not up to 29 degrees centigrade that the hotel claimes it to be. It was disappointing to go to such a nice location and not be able to use a private pool. Other than that we had a great time. They can also improve on their computers, may be get a few more (there's only one right now ) and more updated ones. The trip to the town was not too far and it was fun going to the market. I would defintely recommend the hotel to people who are looking for a quiet vacation but 3 days are enough

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Middlesex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

Ubud Hanging Gardens was the wow hotel of our honeymoon stay. This place is simply breathtaking - the location in the hills of Ubud opposite a temple with the valleys below is amazing. We stayed for 2 nights in a deluxe panoramic villa, I think this was worth the extra money as the unspoilt view from the top was beautiful. Never been to a hotel where you use cable cars to get around, quitre unique !!

The food in the hotel was very good - breakfast was a great buffet selection with fresh eggs cooked however you like. Dinner is more expensive than we paid elsewhere in Bali, but we expected that. I do agree with previous reviews that I would have liked a more affordable wine selection, but you find this everywhere in Bali and I was happy to experience the local Bali wine which was good.

I am glad that we had stayed in central Ubud for 2 nights previously though, because its not convenient to keep getting a taxi, it is quite a way out of Ubud. Other people have said they didn't mind, but I think if you experience the convenience of walking to the markets, attractions and restaurants of Ubud you'll agree that is a plus. We stayed in Komeneka at Monkey Forest Road which was beautiful too, fabulous room even though it was a standard one, location was great and setting was lovely too. Plus, in Ubud Hanging Gardens all we really wanted to do was relax and enjoy this beautiful hotel and our villa after all that is what we paid for.

The staff are extremely happy, helpful and friendly, a credit to the hotel. We also really enjoyed the school children coming to the hotel and making the petal offerings to the Gods and also their traditional Balinese dance performance.

As a honeymoon couple we got a present every day which was so thoughtful and made us feel really special, we were given a handmade necklace and cufflinks and then a box filled with lemongrass oil, Balinese long pepper and Balinese tea. Our room was amazing with our own infinity pool we felt like film stars, oh and loved the straw hats to use too !

I only wish we could have afforded to stay longer. After here we travelled South to Nusa Dua, staying in the Laguna Resort & Spa which was lovely but a bit soul-less in comparison to Komeneka and Ubud Hanging Gardens. If you want an extra special stay in paradise, stay in central Ubud first, then come and relax in Ubud Hanging Gardens !

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

If you are looking for a place to get away from it all then this place is perfect! The villas are great and have wonderful views over the valley, you can sit there all day and believe you are the only people there. A lovely room with its own infinity pool and also a bigger shared infiinity pool overlooking the valley below is just paradise.

The location is isolated which is nice but then again it takes some time to get to the town. I had no issues with that with the hotel providing a car on demand along with restaurant recommendations. The driver can even wait and take you home whenever it suits you. The hotel were also very good at providing custom tours on demand with a knowledgeable driver.

My only issue with the place is that the food/wine is expensive. I appreciate that the restaurant is high quality and is priced accordingly, however when I was looking for a room service dinner and a bottle of wine, I would prefer to have an option of more reasonably priced food as opposed to top French cuisine. They have a great wine list, but again, for a quick dinner in the room, the price is too much. I did enjoy the food and wine very much but the hotel should offer a broader romm service option.

This place is expensive, but I feel they gave me a good deal and it is worth the money. There are lots of alternatives in Ubud and Bali when it comes to villas but I feel I really made the perfect choice to stay at Hanging Gardens. I would recommend it to others, especially couples looking to get away from it all.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
hotelmanagement_8, general manager at Hanging Gardens Ubud, responded to this review, October 12, 2009
Greetings from Ubud Hanging Gardens.

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you appreciated the tranquil beauty of our hinterland location and that your overall experience was most favourable.

I understand your concern regarding the high standard of our Food & Beverage services, especially if you were expecting more simple fare. However, given the culinary pedigree of our award-winning Executive Chef, fine wining and dining has become a signature attribute of Ubud Hanging Gardens.

I will certainly investigate the feasibility of creating a more generalised in-room dining menu. But as you can imagine individual taste is entirely subjective and the main challenge is trying to appeal to a wide audience of international diners. For future reference, please be advised that our personal service does extend to preparing requested dishes and catering to special dietary needs.

Once again, thank you for choosing Ubud Hanging Gardens as your preferred holiday destination on the island. Your feedback will, without doubt, help us continue our quest to be amongst the leaders of the local tourism industry. I hope that you will consider returning to stay with us again on future travels to Bali. Until then I wish you all the very best.

Yours Sincerely,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

A truly excellent hotel. The location was perfect for us - far from the tackiness and hawkers of Kuta/Legian/Seminyak - yet only a short drive to Ubud's superb restaurants and endearing shops and market. Come here for a stunning rainforest location, insight into local life in Susut village, delicious food, impeccable service, and extremely comfortable and spacious villas. Service and food really was a high point, I cannot commend the staff highly enough.

One piece of advice would be not to shy away from hiring your own car and exploring the island by road (if you have driven on the European continent or in London you'll find it a doddle). Most Balinese tour guides or holiday company reps will advise you not to do this, but many of them imagine that us westerners are pristine, precious, and so litigious that if we encountered any trouble with local police we'd come knocking on their doors complaining that it was their fault. The truth is that if you drive sensibly, obtain an international driving permit and a good map, and ALWAYS wear your seatbelt, you'll be fine. There are some deserted, white sand beaches on the each cost of Gianyar and past Candi Dasa which make independent travel well worth it.

You might also like to use a driver for the day, although this is far more expensive, although still cheap by our standards. The hotel can organise this for you or try the various chaps offering transport in Ubud centre. We used a driver for one day to see Gunung Batur, Gunung Kawi, and various other major tourist sights. It was a good idea for these places as he was able to shoo away hawkers and negotiate parking. The Hanging Gardens encourages guests to use local taxis into and out of Ubud after their shuttle bus hours and we felt this was a good policy in order to direct tourists money to the local economy. Susut is a wonderful village and the hotel have cultivated close relationships with its inhabitants. This is typified by the wonderful Legong Dance that takes place two afternoons a week, with free teas, coffees, and lovely handmade sweets, at the hotel cafe which is performed by local boys and girls aged 3-12yrs ish.

Finally, highly recommended would be the hotels cooking lesson with private lunch and botanical walk. Gusti, one of the staff members, conducted our botanical walk and was extremely knowledgeable. If you're going just for fun he can give you a simple roundup of what grows in the local area and how they use it. If, like me, you're into gardening and like to ask lots of questions, he never gets tired of giving you insight into the cultivation of all the plants, their homeopathic uses, and also lots of cultural information on how families live in the area. If you're there on honeymoon or as a couple you will kick yourselves if you don't take advantage of the 'romantic secret dinner' excursion that the hotel offers. I won't spoil it by telling you what the location is but you won't match it anywhere else. Do it or forever regret it!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
hotelmanagement_8, General Manager at Hanging Gardens Ubud, responded to this review, October 8, 2009
Greetings from Ubud Hanging Gardens.

Thank you for writing such an inspiring account of your recent time spent with us. It is obvious that your overall stay proved to be a most enriching experience. I am glad that you truly appreciated our hinterland location and noticed the strong relationship that we have carefully cultivated with the local community.

Your kind remarks about our hospitality and culinary services have also been shared with all staff members. They were delighted to hear that their efforts have been duly recognised.

Once again, thank you for choosing Ubud Hanging Gardens as your preferred destination. We invariably rely on such feedback to help us continue our quest to be amongst the leaders in the local tourism industry. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to return again soon on future travels to the spiritually charged island of Bali.

Yours Sincerely,

Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

I and my husband stayed at the panoramic pool villa suite. It had a beautiful bedroom, 1 full bathroom with a huge bathtub, a drawing room with another smaller bathroom, a seperate outdoor spa area with another bathtub, an outdoor covered dining area, a sundeck and owr own private heated infinity pool.the only problem was the "heating" of the pool. it took forever to heat up and even its max temp isnt very warm!!! the view is incredible beautiful. our choice of room offered 100% privacy though lower rung rooms, though as beautiful, do not really offer much privacy!

However, our experience was to die for. The amneties are upto the standard. Transport was available on request at USD 30, for around 3-4hrs. The breakfast menu was huge and the food very tasty. The spa was good too! We got several free gifts and the hotel staff was very cultured and friendly. We are definately headign bak there whenever we head back to Bali! Very very satisfied with the experience. I and my husband also did a tempel trekk on our own.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
hotelmanagement_8, general manager at Hanging Gardens Ubud, responded to this review, October 8, 2009
Greetings from Ubud Hanging Gardens.

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay at the hotel with your husband. I am delighted to hear that your overall experience was most memorable and that all your personal needs were anticipated.

I do apologise that you found that the private plunge pool took some time to heat up. Our Engineering Team is on call around the clock to take care of such issues. I am sure that just a minor temperature adjustment would have had the water warmed to your liking in no time at all.

Once again, I appreciate your positive feedback. I am glad that you are considering a return visit to Ubud Hanging Garden’s on future travels to Bali. So until then, I wish you all the very best.

Yours sincerely,

Nicolas Pillet

Been to Hanging Gardens Ubud? Share your experiences!