“Traumatised” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Alila Ubud

You added Alila Ubud to your Saves list
Alila Ubud
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Desa Melinggih Kelod, Payangan, Bali 80572, Indonesia (Formerly The Chedi)   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Payangan
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Traumatised”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

We paid almost £200 per night to stay in this hotel. Only to find when we got back from a day in town our room, luggage, clothes and shoes were infested with ants and cockroaches. We literally had to shake every item of clothing only to watch the huge ants fall from them. My partner watched in horror as a cockroach fell from her dress. They initially suggested that they spray the room whilst we were still in it, until I pointed out that this may be fairly noxious to us. They then kindly moved us to a villa. We had to leave our clothes in the ant infested room so we had the pleasure of packing our clothes amidst the many ant carcasses the next morning. They had the cheek to ask us if we slept well in our new room, as you can imagine we didn't, and didn't feel comfortable wearing our clothes and shoes the next day, though it was either that or a dressing gown. In summary it has cost me £400 to stay here and probably £5000 pounds in clothes and luggage. You have a choice, don't stay here and do not use trailfinders as this was their overpriced recommendation. I look forward to speaking with them on my return. Should anyone require it, I have ample photographic evidence.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
AlasdairDavidson, General Manager at Alila Ubud, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear dankell23,

Thank you very much for the opportunity to meet just now before your departure so as to personally discuss this concerning issue that occurred during your stay with us.

Without hesitation, I offer my sincere apologies for your experience and can assure you that this is neither common nor acceptable at Alila Ubud.

As agreed we will conduct a thorough investigation to determine the root cause of why / how ants infested your luggage during your stay with us. Rest assured that I will provide you a detailed update offline over the next 24 hours. In addition and despite our recovery actions on property, we will also extend an appropriate compensation to overall restore your confidence in Alila for the future.

Despite this issue we appreciate your comments pertaining to genuine warmth / friendliness that was accorded to you by the team during your stay and surrounding this most unfortunate experience.

Overall, please once again accept my most sincere apologies. We truly thank you for your constructive comments and rest assured that we will hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Alasdair Davidson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

My wife and I stayed here in mid November 2013 for our honeymoon and all I can say is wow!

I contacted the hotel prior to leaving the UK to inform them of our special trip and to ask for any recommendations for activities within the hotel and the surrounding area. The hotel's General Manager was quick to respond with detailed information about what we can expect.

Upon arrival I was blown away. The greeting from the staff allayed all fears from the scary stories we had read about Bali. They are the epitome of the Balinese people, each and every one of them were extremely polite and made us feel extremely welcome. From reception staff to the gardeners, everybody took the time to stop and speak to you regardless of language barrier.

Our first room was a Deluxe room which was modern but traditional at the same time. An external bath and shower really gave us the tropical luxurious feel. I would say, that seeing as this is in the middle of a forrest valley, you have to expect the odd snake, lizzard and creepy crawley. The mokeys are an asset to the area and will always put a smile on your face.

Each member of the reception and restaurant staff acknowledged us by our names which gave it a more intimate feel, like we belonged to the hotel. The second day I managed to speak to Alasdair whilst my wife slept off the jetlag. I wanted a chat just to make him aware of how I felt the whole experience in only the first 24 hours had been for us and to commend him on not only his own work but his staff. Alasdair then put me in contact with Siwatra for a special honeymoon experience. He talked us through what activities we could do and we chose the Pyangan trek through the real Bali. This was a hard slung wak through warm temperatures with a glorious Balinese picnic overlooking one of the most beautiful valleys I have ever seen the most worthwhile activity I can see anybody doing. Siwatra was professional in everything he did but was also very friendly and easy to talk to, and it was great to find out more about him and his local community. I feel a special thank you is in order for Alasdair and Siwatra in particular.

We were upgraded to a lovely villa with a thatched roof and valley veiws, which we were humbled by and can't thank Alasdair enough for. I couldn't help but feel the intimacy of the Deluxe room suited us better and as it had the external shower gave me the feel of being in a tropical paradise. The villa had an external bathtub, but showering is more our style. The daily visits from the local monkey population on our balcony did give us a smile though. The complimentary massage was something to behold, having never had a massage before (or liking people touching my body) I was surprised how relaxed it made me feel. We wanted to go back for more but time wasn't on our side.

Breakfast each morning (as seen in previous reviews) was out of this world. A la carte all you can eat breakfast with skill and detail in each dish (this comes from the managers previous chef experience working for some of the larger luxury hotels). On the first day we ordered far too much as we wanted to try everything, the following days we realised that 3 dishes are more than enough each and chose the most appetising sounding dishes available. We even had breakfast in our room one morning but the staff didn't keep our order the night before which resulted in us waiting around and reordering, however with all the great things this place has to offer, this was a minor and insignificant hicucp. The restaurant evening food was outstanding and I can't reccomend eating there enough. Even if you feel it is cheaper to make an excursion to Ubud, I recommend eating in the restaurant at least once. The buses depart regularly to Ubud and if you miss the last one, an affordable and comfortable hotel car is on hand to drive you.

The pool is something to behold, even if you don't like to swim it is a pleasure to sit by even in the rain. Afternoon tea beside the pool is a welcome afternoon snack if staying within the hotel compound.

There are far too many good things I can comment on which I feel I can't fit into this review, I also feel any description of the services and hotel I provide just will not do it any justice. I cannot thank Alasdair and his team enough for making our honeymoon one to remember. I will be recommending all friends, family and colleagues to this hotel with a promise that they will not be disappointed. I look forward to our next visit and hopefully it will be sooner rather than later. I am only disappointed we decided to spend out last four days in at the Grand Hyatt. It was a massive disappointment after staying in Ubud.

Well done Alila Ubud, you have outshone every trip I have ever been on and apologies for the late review.

Room Tip: Even if you feel the need to splash out, I recommend the Deluxe rooms with a view across the valley...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

This place really is "Heaven on Earth". We stayed here as the second destination on our Honeymoon and after running round Hong Kong for 4 days. This is just what we needed. Treated like we were the only people there form the time we arrived to the time we left. The staff are excellent the facilities were superb. We were upgraded to a luxury Villa and the views across the Jungle were awesome.
We ate in the Restaurant and the food was wonderful. this hotel is just so relaxing it is very easy to chill out and just unwind, we spent 3 nights there and I wish we had stayed longer.
Very rarely do I go back to hotels but I cannot wait for an opportunity to return to this wonderful hotel and experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Our first time visiting ubud and good not have asked for a better experience. We booked the villa with the ayung river views and it did not disappoint. We had a view of the river valley every morning and monkeys on the balcony. The staff knew each of us, and even asked where we had been when we missed breakfast the morning of our Mt Batur Trek. They really make you feel at home here. We were able to take the free shuttle into ubud everyday as well. The spa was amazing, I don't want to give any spoilers out! I miss how tranquil and peaceful this place is and will soon be back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

This was our second visit to Alila and although the last was over 5 years ago we were treated like royalty from the minute we arrived. Driving into Alila, especially in the evening is absolutely stunning- instant relaxation! The exceptional service began at check in when we were seated on a lounge and welcomed with cool towels and a drink whilst check in was simply ‘taken care of’. We had requested the same room and as it was not available due to maintenance the staff went out of their way to ensure our satisfaction with an alternative room (equally delightful!) Freshly poured beers were even waiting on our balcony table when we arrived at our room.

The pool is obviously the highlight and it doesn’t matter how many times I swim in here it is mind blowing every single time. The hotel is small enough that it is rarely crowded although it was quiet time of the year.

The rooms are lovely and have been designed in a way that provides an authentic Balinese luxurious experience. The toiletries are what you would find in the Spa, the shower is just lovely and of course the bedding is as you would expect, pretty dreamy! I am pretty surprised at some of the other reviews and can only laugh at complaints about geckos in the room - seriously?? You are in the middle of a beautiful forest in tropical Bali, bring on the geckos I say! If you don't like it I suggest maybe go to Nusa Dua or somewhere sterile.

The restaurant, although a little pricey, is always reliable, amazing food. Would have liked to see some variety for dinner but plenty to choose from regardless. Breakfast just makes you want to get out of bed- a la carte menu, choose whatever you like from a menu that changes daily. Afternoon tea is served daily beside the pool, which is a lovely experience complete with Balinese dancers on some days.

Free shuttle in to town was great and drops to a central location. A return in the evening would be handy but it's only $5 to get a taxi and plenty of drivers on every street willing to take you out there.

We simply cannot recommend highly enough and did not want to leave. If you are looking for a romantic escape or simply a relaxing getaway then this is the perfect choice.

Thanks so much to the staff (especially Sudamarna and Artika the Operations Manager) who ensured that our stay was perfect. We can’t wait to return.

Room Tip: From our experience the following rooms have a lovely view and suited us well - 212, 214
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Alila in May 2013, and had the most wonderful time. Highlights are the gorgeous pool area and the wonderful food, which is really special. The staff were so lovely and the location all I can say is wow amazing. if you are looking for peace and tranquility environment and a get away from it all. It's a short trip into Ubud or to the many excursions in the area, we thoroughly loved the peace and quiet, and fantastic views.
Rooms are exquisite and clean. I personally loved the views, especially as it rained a lot while we were there, and of course the spa is amazing and luckily you can bring back some of everything they use and its divine. We loved it that much we're going back in a few weeks for another getaway. It's a total must for anyone needing time to relax.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

We stayed at the Alila in January, and had a wonderful time. Highlights are the gorgeous pool area and the wonderful food, which is really special. The staff were lovely and the location superb if you are looking for a tranquil environment to get away from it all. It's a short trip into Ubud or to the many excursions in the area, so we thoroughly enjoyed the peace and quiet, and fantastic views. Rooms are average, clean, pleasant but nothing spectacular. I personally loved the outdoor shower, especially as it rained a lot while we were there, but can understand its not everyone's cup of tea and there is no indoor option. I must comment on the soap, which is also available for purchase and is divine. We also tried the spa, and had a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I highly recommend the Alila.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Alila Ubud? Share your experiences!