“Unexpected hi-light” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alila Ubud

You added Alila Ubud to your Saves list
Alila Ubud
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Desa Melinggih Kelod, Payangan, Bali 80572, Indonesia (Formerly The Chedi)   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Payangan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“Unexpected hi-light”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Having originally booked at the Four Seasons we decided to be cost conscious and on advice of our travel agent plumped for the Alila and we are so glad we did. The hotel was small enough to ensure personal attention for the guests. The room was stunning with views over the local temple and jungle and the delightful breakfasts looking over the valley were magical. We had 1 deeply unpleasant experience (with a man in the next room who complained aggressively when out 5 year old was crying briefly at 10pm, rattling our bedroom door nearly off it's hinges and being very threatening and invasive ). The hotel staff were wonderful when they heard - they are very understanding and the managers on duty were extremely sympathetic having small children themselves. They actually moved us to a wonderful pool suite so we didn't have to "be near people like that". We loved the peaceful atmosphere - how refreshing not to have music pumping out by the pool. We also had wonderful massages at the spa and a real hi-light of the trip had to be our 2 days out with Puriyana from the concierge who took us on 2 wonderful tours of the rice fields, volcano and an informal trip to his village - the most magical experiences. We will be definitely returning.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
JBosselaar, General Manager at Alila Ubud, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for allowing us to share with you the Alila Hotels & Resorts experience this holiday!

I am particularly pleased to see you enjoyed your time with our Leisure Concierge.
The Alila Experiences are indeed developed to interact with the local community and explore parts of Bali that are not too accessible to other visitors.

Puriana sends his fond regards!

We look forward to welcome you back during a future visit to the Island!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I love the experience with Alila Ubud. I had some concern with this property after reading a couple of reviews from the trip advisor last year but surprisingly, the service and staff are just great. Lovely pool and provide a serene environment to those guests who are looking for a quiet stay in Ubud area.

The staff are very genuine, warm and caring. I really like this homey feel of the premise. I stayed at Como Shambhala and Four Seasons as well and their premises were always great with spectacular view, everything was very proper to perfect but there's always a lack of home like or personal touch. In Alila, it's more natural and fun.

The food and service in the restaurant was excellent. the staff tried their best to accomodate my need as a vegetarian. They were thoughtful to even provide me with what's not on their menu. The spa service was also very professional, Sudi did a wonderful job and really know what she was doing. The housekeeping and laundry staff were magical, they reacted promptly and were able to wash some serious black stain on my white garment, of which I thought was not possible at all.

The management was also very professsional in Alila, I was a single traveller and Ika kept me company whenever she could during some afternoon tea and breakfast. It was very interesting to learn from her the Balinese culture. I stayed 8 nights with Alila and it was a fantastic experience and I would recommend this hotel to any friends or guests without hesitations.

A few improvements would be that after all, this is a 15 years premise, I believe some kind of upgrade and renovation would be needed in time. Also, I had to share the valley villa with the other animals and insects, of which I don't mind as it is their territories. However, it would be great if that can be improved as well!!! Wi-Fi was a bit weak but that's acceptable as I was not there to read email or to be with my phone.

Anyway, thanks a lot to Alila! Hope to return another time!

Maka G.

Room Tip: I think valley villa is just wonderful and one can always see the monkeys passsing by or chasing one...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
JBosselaar, Guest Relations Manager at Alila Ubud, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
It was my pleasure to meet you during your visit to Ubud!

Ubud is indeed a great destination to relax and enjoy also as single traveller.
I appreciated the time you spent with me and our lovely chats.

The girls in the spa pass their warm regards.

We will work on the stability of the complimentary WIFI to improve this prior to your return.

This low season we do our maintenance to the various rooms to ensure they remain fresh and up-to-date. Thank you for sharing your input.

Try the newly build Terrace Tree Villas during a future stay, sunrise side of the property!

Look forward to welcome you back!
Ika - Guest Relations Manager
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

At the end of a winding road through the rice fields and farms outside of busy Ubud, it was a beautiful, well designed oasis, whose pool overlooks the jungle and ravine. Comfortable rooms with outside tub and shower. Very attentive staff. Drinks were a small pour and breakfast was delicious. Dinner was good, but small portions. You can get a much better dinner in town for a better price. Overall very relaxing, GREAT massages and spa services and breathtaking vistas

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us!

The location is indeed a great strength of the resort.
Currently the rice is ready for harvesting, always a great guest experience to see the local farm community in action!

I appreciate your feedback and have communicated this with the team, who shared their appreciation.

The menu's are indeed designed for smaller portions, as tasting menu's, allowing guests to try a variety of smaller dishes and flavors.
I will ensure to review comments on this together with our Executive Chef, thank you for sharing this!

Looking forward to welcome you back during a next visit to Bali!
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The hotel is located in the forested area & on the side of the valley. You get to drive past rice fields to get to the hotel premises.

The location is pretty magical & I got a room facing the pool which was great.

The pool is really as nice as it's shown on the website.

I really enjoyed their breakfast, its not buffet-style but the individual items are of very high quality & tasty.

I enjoyed the Spa as well.

I found the free shuttle to Ubud very convenient.

& its was thoughtful of the hotel to provide free afternoon tea at the pool area as well.

The staff was also a highlight of this trip. They were very warm, caring & helpful.

The rooms were looking abit old & tired. & I had a few unpleasant encounters with lizards.

But overall, it was a peaceful & relaxing stay which was just what I was looking for!

Room Tip: The pool view is great!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for staying with us at Alila Ubud!

I am glad you enjoyed the tranquil setting of the resort amidst the nature and rice fields!
A location that truly embodies the spirit of Ubud and Bali indeed.

It is good to read you enjoyed our small touches, as the complimentary shuttle, afternoon tea and a la carte breakfast, thank you!

We are conducting our regular maintenance for all rooms types in this low season.
Just to ensure they remain fresh and up-to-date.

Perhaps of interest for a future return stay are our newly build Terrace Tree Villas, I am sure you love them!

Let us know if you plan a return visit!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We had an incredible time on our Bali vacation to celebrate our 30th anniversary, and Alila-Ubud was a wonderful discovery. Our 5 nights went by much too quickly. We stayed in one of their new tree house villas, which was quite luxurious with three separate spaces including an elegant bathroom larger than our home living room, along with an outdoor seating area. A family of monkeys would frequently play in the trees or relax on the roof. The food and service in the restaurant was excellent, with breakfast included and more than we could ever eat. Someone else mentioned the unusual but very tasty pesto served with bread at other meals. We each had a very good massage at the Alila spa, well worth the cost and less than you'd pay in the U.S. All of the hotel staff were gracious and welcoming, but Ika went above and beyond (including sending a special anniversary gift to our room.) We met Puriana, a hotel guide, the first day out and Ika arranged for him to take us on our other planned excursions because we liked him so much. He was a very well informed and a patient teacher, guiding us through so much information on Balinese culture and Hinduism as we visited villages, temples, and rice fields. The Balinese are lovely, welcoming people. At our request, he took us to see his village and met his family, along with learning about how the community makes silver jewelry. Although visiting in rainy season, we found the occasional downpour not to be a problem. On our last day, just as we were receiving the water blessing from a Balinese Holy Man, a hard rain fell - so perfectly timed. York, the Alila GM, arranged for us to meet Rio Helmi, a noted, local photographer, when he learned we were interested in his work, some of which is displayed at the hotel - another fabulous experience, as we learned about his life as a expat in Ubud. The river rafting trip was fun, though 600 steps down to the water and another 300 up on the return left me with very sore calf muscles the next day. Our best times were trekking through the rice fields and coffee planation, and through the jungle, passing through small villages and learning about the life of the average Balinese. Our interest was immersion into the culture while also being able to relax and be pampered, but if you are mainly interested in shopping or clubbing, you might want a place closer to town. For us, we had a fantastic experience from start to finish and we'd return to Alila-Ubud without hesitation.

Room Tip: The tree villas are a relatively new addition, so everything was very up to date. We had the villa...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
It was such a pleasure welcoming you to Alila Ubud!

We are delighted that you experienced the destination in a way that we want all our guests to experience it!
Lots of culture, exploring nature and some well-deserved time to relax!

Puriana and Ika and the team pass their fond regards!
Glad to see we could contribute to your special wedding anniversary celebration!

I hope the photography will be a permanent reminder to this beautiful part of the world!

Look forward to welcome you back, there is still plenty more to discover!

Warm regards from the Team and myself!
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We arrived in the middle of the night for a 3 night stay and was immediately welcomed with drinks and friendly staff. Our standard room was stunning, it really did look like how the brochure illustrated. The bath and shower were outside which was unique. Free refreshments in the afternoon and fast Wi-fi. The views are stunning, seriously felt a million miles from home and you feel like you are actually in Bali unlike most other hotels where you could be anywhere. The infinity pool is gorgeous but a tad cold. Breakfasts are amazing, the choice is incredible!! So many different things to try and the menu changes everyday! If the 'French toast with strawberries', is available definitely make sure you order it! The hotel felt really calm and at night time is really quiet. They offer shuttle bus into Ubud town everyday and the bike hire is a great way to explore the villages. Lots of wildlife - we loved seeing the monkeys walking around the grounds, but ants do get in your room if you don't spray the doorway. They could do with putting some more loungers around the pool as there wasn't enough for everyone. Also because Ubud is near the volcano it can get overcast and misty, so if you want to sunbathe the best time is earlier in the day. Overall would definitely stay there again, possibly one of the best hotels we have stayed at.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room or you won't get an outside bath and shower!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Mandurah, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have one very big gripe. We booked through flight centre who used Fiesta holidays because we were promised a number of freebies such as a free massage and Balinese tasting plate Probably worth a $100 combinedper room and there were six of us.. However on arrival the hotel took our itineraries and never gave them back to us until we were on the way to the airport leaving,
Here the freebies were documented but the hotel declined them saying we got an extra night instead. This wasn't true or what was advertised and the flight centre agent will confirm this.
So beware as this in a way spoilt our holiday as it was the holiday of a lifetime for my sister and partner whom I paid for , and who came from uk and were unable to afford extras........
Having said that the Hotel was wonderful, the staff like family and nothing was too much trouble.
The food was superb and the whole ambience tops with a gorgeous pool and monkeys.
Highly recommended but make sure you get the deal you paid for............

Room Tip: if you have trouble with stairs ask for a room near the reception
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing this input with us!

We wanted to ensure that we are indeed delivering what is promised.
Upon investigation we learnt that the resort clearly contracted the choice between 'free night' or 'amenities' with the travel partner.

I am so sorry that this was not properly communicated to you, i can imagine that this was a disappointment!

Rest assured that this matter has been clarified and that the Travel Partner is fully aware of this to prevent future cases.

Overall, I am glad to read you did enjoy your stay despite this!

Look forward to welcome you back and take us up on the offer to indulge in the promised amenities!

Been to Alila Ubud? Share your experiences!