“One of the highlights of 3+ weeks in Bali” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Puri Lumbung Cottages

You added Puri Lumbung Cottages to your Saves list
Puri Lumbung Cottages
3.0 of 5 Villa   |   Munduk Village | Banjar District, Munduk, Bali 81152, Indonesia   |
Ranked #3 of 12 Specialty Lodging in Munduk
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“One of the highlights of 3+ weeks in Bali”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

This wonderful place is affordable, friendly, warm, spacious, and authentic. It is a crazy drive to get to this place -- but it is really worth the effort.
The food is good and reasonably priced and the view is spectacular.
Very highly recommended if you would like to experience Bali in a more traditional way. The resort does a lot to support the local community and you can learn a lot about life in Bali while staying there.
the only downside is that you really have to drive to anywhere you might want to go -- as in most of bali, there are no sidewalks in Munduk and it is not safe to walk on the streets.

Room Tip: Choose carefully -- there are a number of different room types!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

After a long drive from Ubud to Munduk, we were treated very poorly by the reception at Puri Lumbung. And I will definitely not return or recommend this place to anyone any more. I'll tell you why:

I have been to Puri Lumbung a few times before this trip, and I was in love with the place. However this was before 2002. It's been years since I have been back. I told my wife that I really wanted to show her this magical place in the mountains, so on this holiday we made plans to spend a few days in Puri Lumbung. I talked this place up a lot, and I was very disappointed with the results. I made the booking via their website and followed up with a phone call, I told the manager that I have been here before and it's my wife and daughters first time. I asked if they could ensure that we have got the best view. The manager ensured to take care of us. However upon arriving at Puri Lumbung, the receptionist couldn't even greet or look at me in the eye. She was either too busy with other things, or was just in a bad mood. I told her that the manager promised the best view room, and she said it's not a problem.

When we got to the cottage. I was surprised to see that we probably got given the WORST cottage. The view was horrible and blocked by a tree, and the cottage was very run down. I immediately approached reception about this matter, and told them that I have been here before and I have requested a better view room. The receptionist was surprised and immediately organized a new room for us, this time higher up with a view. I was very upset to know that they did have better rooms available but they had to put us in the worst room to start off with.

I have to say that a few days there was OK. the place is really run down, not as quiet as it used to be. And it's not as green as it used to be. Also the RUBBISH was horrible. Even around the cottage area. I remember this place being very clean, but it's not like that any more. You might want to escape here to connect with nature, but all the rubbish will definitely turn you off.

the breakfast was nothing special. But the meals there in the restaurant was probably the only good thing. The restaurant also has a great view off the cliffs.

Overall, I will not return here. There are far more better places to stay nowadays. This place was once great, but now very poor.

Room Tip: They have newer cottages higher up in the hill. make sure you get in those cottages if you really wa...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Perfect setting for a nature trip away from the hustle and bustle of kuta beach. Is a 3 hours drive from bali airport. Great variety of day treks offered by the accommodation!Quiet waterfall areas to chill out.

• Stayed February 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

U don't need to enter this place to understand that u arrived in magic. it is starting when u r arriving in Munduk. But when we entered Puri Lumbung we just had no words to express our excitement. Just imagine territory with beautiful cottages different from each other, places for meditation and spa, rice fields, statues of gods, ponds with fish, amazing bridges and flowers flowers flowers. On every step there is beautiful corner everything is arranged with love and great taste. Our cottage was on the rice field with amazing view on green mountains, villages and ocean. Room was very nice and clean. Staff was always helpful and smiling and was just making us happy.
Also want to mention food. It was delicious, very fresh and tasty. Soto Ayam is my favorite soup from now on :) My friend who visited Bali more than 15 times also mentioned that never tried so tasty food on Bali.
There are a lot of track available near by. As we were only for two days we visited only two waterfalls. So beautiful. But you have to prepare that getting to the waterfall number two requires quite good fit.
This is place not only to relax, enjoy beautiful scenery and tasty food. This place just fills you with good emotions and energy and happiness. U can just sit on the balcony and do nothing ans still u will enjoy every moment.
I will never forget this place and I really do hope to visit it once again.
P.S David Bowie and Imam were in this hotel as well :D

Room Tip: Just ask cottage on the rice field terrace near the sunset bar :)
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We booked two night stay at Puri Lumbung seeking calm and tranquility as advised by many travelers who stayed here before us. We were offered a nice cup of ginger tea when we arrived at reception. The staff are friendly, they gave us helpful directions to get to the hotel as we were self drive to Munduk. We originally stayed in a standard cottage and we really loved the view of the green rice field from our verandah. We practiced yoga in our room and enjoyed the sound of nature as dusk fell. One of the reception staff Ibu Putu was so nice to upgrade us to a villa the following morning after a tour group of 12 people arrived on our first night there, making incredible noises until midnight across the balconies. They were originally placed in another part of the complex to give everyone enough space and privacy for all but the group decided to move closer to other villas for no reason at all. Anyway problem solved and we didn't hear them for the rest of our stay there. I managed to paint the scenery while staying at Puri Lumbung.
Perhaps as a tip, it's a retreat suitable for guests who are seeking peace and quiet. Also breakfast is a standard fare but overall it was a pleasant stay.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at Puri Lumbung. The views are breathtaking, rooms are beautiful and trekking around the nearby hills was great. Staff was absolutely great and food was good. The only downsides were the pricing, and that they give reservations to tour groups. I felt the rooms cost too much for Bali, and barbecue dinner at 16 USD was definitely overpriced, especially when there are no other options available for that night. And while it is a big enough place to accommodate big groups, the one big group that arrived half way through my stay changed the atmosphere of the place completely. It is such a peaceful, harmonic place, that loud groups don't really fit there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This hotel is perched on the hills with a fantastic view. It is very remote so plan on staying at the hotel, It is a very exotic hotel but the accommodations are very spartan.To go to some of the rooms, you have to take a long trek among the rice fields.As with most hotels in Bali, you have to sleep at night with the mosquito net around your bed. Since it is located among the rice fields, they do provide you with a plastic box to protect your food from rodents. In the bathroom, there is only an open bathtub so you need to crouch down to take a shower. It is a nice experience but not everybody will like it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Puri Lumbung Cottages? Share your experiences!