“I have not been to the Higher Ground Hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Couples Massage Package
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Independence
Independence, Missouri
“I have not been to the Higher Ground Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I was looking for a place for my daughter's wedding reception and asking to see the facility. I was invited to see the facility and when I arrived it was necessary to be buzzed in. The person at the other end of the buzzer was so incredibly rude that I will/would never consider staying there or having any sort of function at the facility. Perhaps it WAS a really bad day for them. That would be a shame as it left a terrible impression with me and I am more than willing to share that impression with anyone that will stand still long enough to listen! I was left standing outside as this person barked at me over the intercom that they would not help me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We were very happy during our stay! Room was modern and very clean. Staff was helpful and polite. Breakfast was great with a nice variety! The garden was a unique part of our stay that we enjoyed. The price was low and location was perfect for our trip. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed September 2013
Nixa, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We really loved our stay here. The rooms were very clean and well furnished, the antique furniture throughout the hotel was lovely. The breakfast was the best, with hot breakfast sandwiches and all the regular trimmings. And they had kid friendly movies we could borrow. A lovely place which we look forward to revisiting.

Room Tip: if you have a family we loved getting the suite for a family with the bunkbeds and 2 king beds and y...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

After a long road trip my wife and I were absolutely thrilled when we opened the door to our room.
It faced the well maintained, beautiful garden. The decor of the room was old world and looked elegant. The bed was comfy and the whole place was very quiet. The staff were most accommodating with every detail. Breakfast was also a highlight with a wide choice of delicious food. If you wish to experience American history in a wonderful town, Higher Ground fully compliments this.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My adult daughter and I were traveling across country and I wanted to stay at some more unique hotels than our regular choices. I chose the Higher Ground Hotel because of its location, but I found a nice surprise also. The room was lovely, clean and comfortable. I liked the layout, and the view of the beautiful gardens. Breakfast was sufficient with the most spacious breakfast area I have ever seen in a hotel. I suspect this building may once have been a dorm. We wandered across the street to see the Harry S Truman House and enjoyed the historic feel of the neighborhood. Close to LDS and Community of Christ properties. A good choice overall. I would stay again if in Independence.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

It was just me and my husband for a little getaway at the 4th of July holiday. We had a great experience. Check in was easy and fast. We got the room we desired (king room with the garden view). It was well worth the money, very competitive prices. Staff was very friendly and accessible. We borrowed a blu ray dvd and watched it in the Trails end room, which was comfy with a nice couch. Breakfast was more than just cereal and juice. We took advantage of our location and toured the Truman home. Overall it was a really neat experience. We highly recommend this hotel. You will not be sorry.

Angel

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Muskogee, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We love staying in hotels that are not "fast food" hotels. We very much enjoyed the atmosphere. The garden is gorgeous, and we looked out our window to that incredible sight every morning. Breakfast was good. It was a very nice experience. The staff was friendly, helpful, and very nice. And across the street is Harry S. Truman's house!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Higher Ground Hotel? Share your experiences!