“Comfort and convenience on the outskirts of Kansas City, MO” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Suites Independence

You added Holiday Inn Express Suites Independence to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Suites Independence
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   19901 E Valley View Parkway, Independence, MO 64057-1597   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Independence
Missouri
“Comfort and convenience on the outskirts of Kansas City, MO”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Whether Independence is your destination or if you want to stay close to Kansas City without being in the thick of things, keep this property in mind. Being a part of the Holiday Inn family, this hotel most certainly meets their standards for cleanliness and comfort.

We stayed in a king suite that featured a sitting area between the bathroom and the sleeping area. The suite also includes a small refrigerator and microwave, perfect for storing and reheating those leftovers you bring back from one of the many local eateries Kansas City is famous for!

Being a HI Express, they also offer a free breakfast. Although there is a wide variety of breakfast items (scrambled eggs or cheese omelets, sausage patties or bacon, biscuits and gravy, etc.), these are for the most part appear to be pre-made and microwaved. There is also cold cereal, fruit and a pancake machine that actually makes pretty good pancakes! (If you really need a good "stick to your ribs" breakfast, there is an IHOP within the same business complex.)

Overall, we would definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to our friends and family.

Room Tip: Be sure to mention AAA or AARP if you are member of either of these organizations to get the best ra...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Independence, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thanks for your recent visit and for posting your nice review and recommendation. We appreciate your recognition of jobs well done here and look forward to serving you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
elizabeth, colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

As my title indicates, I have stayed here at least a dozen times. Service and quality here is been excellent. I must qualify this review as there was one time I wasn't happy as there was an excess of dust in my room. I mentioned this this to the manager and they comped my room 100%. I have been back multiple times after this and there has been absolutely no problems with my room. Always get the rooms I request (with a little notice), always very comfortable, clean and the staff are always very attentive to my requests. Cannot recommend this hotel enough. Give it a try....you won't be disappointed. Hint: I ALWAYS ask for a room away from the elevator as that can add a distraction to your stay to any hotel.

Room Tip: I ALWAYS ask for a room away from the elevator as that can add a distraction to your stay to any hot...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Independence, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
Thank you very much for your many visits, and for taking the time to write about your experiences here. Having guests return time and time again is the highest compliment we can get, and I will share your review with the rest of the team here as positive recognition of jobs well done. I'm glad you were happy with the resolution to the problem you reported, and hope that you will continue to let us know how we can make your stays more enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you back on all your future visits.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

I have been using this hotel for my clients since the day it has opened. We have also stayed in hotel ourselves a few times just to get away. Great place, great location, walk to very good Restaurants, Bars, Hockey Arena, Stores, Mall, Move Theatre 5 minutes away, Lakes, Horse back Riding and hospitals. You are also about 10 minutes to the Royals and Chiefs Stadium and 30 minutes to Downtown. On top of that you get to stay in a Hotel that is Excellent in so many ways. Better than the Hyatt unless you like Stuffy. My Clients love this hotel and so do I, some of them stayed there a week or so. The negatives except for the pool problem must be an ex-employee. You want a nice stay in a perfect place that is 2 minutes to I-70 this is it.

FDL

Room Tip: Book Earlier
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Independence, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Thank you for your patonage and wonderful review. I am so glad that you and your clients are happy here, and hope you won't hesitate to less us know when there is anything you need while you are with us. Thanks again.
Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

I travel across the US by car with unusual frequency, so I'm always on the lookout for new and well operated hotels of this sort, a lot of which can be found in areas that years ago were relegated to a KOA or nasty econo-lodge. It's nice to see that better options are available across our great land. Unfortunately, this is not one of them. Even though I know that these hotels are independently owned and not operated by the name on the flag, I'm still amazed at how inconsistent they are. I've stayed in HI Express properties that are nicer than many name brand big city hotels. Again, this one does not fall into that category. This HI Express is relatively new (or appears so) and is appointed like most of the newer ones I've seen. However, it's just plain filthy and run down. The lobby was passably clean, but not perfect. The elevator looks and smells like it is used ultimate fighting matches when not being used for transportation (dirty floor, scratched and dented walls, gross mix of cigarettes and scented cleaner, etc). The carpet on my floor was stained in numerous areas as well as being covered with dirt and crumbs by the elevator. The guest laundry room floor (something I had not seen before) was covered in dust and dirt. I had to change rooms because the bathroom in the first one was beyond disgusting. The center of the floor was clean, but there was a 12 inch wide ring of black grime around the outside edge of the floor, peeling paint in the tub, and all of the fixtures were rusted. My second room was better but still not good. It looks like the cleaning program in this hotel is slopping dirty water around the middle of the floor and leaving the rest. The wallpaper in my room (the second one) was peeling and the drapes were stained with something brown I didn't really want to consider further. Upon arrival, I was told by the desk clerk that the hotel is home to many sports teams who I guess use a nearby events facility. That probably explains how it got so vile, but it doesn't explain the lack of attention to cleaning it. To top it off, the hotel is built with the cheapest possible windows and located ON an interstate highway, so the noise at night on the highway side is intolerable. Just to make it a little more enjoyable, the parking lot is lit all night with high intensity lighting that sits just at the level of the third floor. So, if your drapes are so dirty that you don't want to touch them to close them, you get the pleasure of sleeping in what feels like an operating room. Overall, this was one of those nights when it seemed more sanitary NOT to shower. I should have just checked out and kept driving, but exhaustion got the better of me. Overall a terrible experience that left me feeling just plain gross. This area has a few other chain hotels and lots of restaurants, so my recommendation if you have to stay in this particular area, is pick a different hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Independence, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
I am very sorry you were so disappointed with your recent stay here. I have shared your comments with our entire team and will use them in discussions and training to improve our operation so that future guests do not encounter the same conditions. Thank you for your loyalty to the HIE brand, and I hope you have many wonderful stays at IHG properties in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012 via mobile

This Holiday Inn is at a great location with easy access to the interstate. Great room and great staff.

• Stayed January 2012
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Independence, responded to this review, February 5, 2012
Thanks for your return visit and updated review. I'm glad are able to serve you and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are here.
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

The customer service at this hotel is the best. I have been traveling for the company for seven years and prefer this hotel when in Kansas City. It ia an easy access off of Interstate 70 and has many major restaurants accross the street. The staff are very friendly and helpful. They go out of their way with looking up directions and just plain answering questions. It is my best hotel experience in Kansas City. The Independence Mall is accross the Interstate, and a large movie complex, so there are many things to see and do from this hotel's location.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Independence, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
Thank you for your many visits and for taking the time to review and recommend us. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your future stays more enjoyable.
Little Rock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

We (couple with adult daughter)arrived exhausted after a full day of driving and sightseeing (Atchison, Kansas - Amelia Earhart's home and then the Harry S Truman sites) at this bright, warm hotel, a welcoming receptionist offering delicious cookies and ready coffee in the alcove near the breakfast room. Everything looked new and inviting. What a beginning! Our room (305) did not disappoint - big, comfortable and warm - bathroom shiny, impeccable and warm - did I mention that it was really cold outside? The next morning frost covered everything. Our "continental" breakfast was anything but - it had everything, including pancakes. The big test - coffee - was perfect.The 3 of us agreed that we were glad we had booked for 2 nights and didn't have to move on. We were going to get to stay another day in this great hotel (and we are regulars at Holiday Inn, but this one outdid itself). Oh yes, it was very easy to find coming off the I-70, and really was non-smoking.

Room Tip: Looked to us as if all rooms must be good. We were happy with a high floor (there is an elevator) as...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Independence, responded to this review, January 21, 2012
Thank you so very much for your loyalty to Holiday Inns and for sharing your wonderful review. Our brand motto is "Great Hotels Guests Love" and everyone here works hard to make sure that is true here. I'm glad you and your family were able to relax and spend time together during your recent visit. We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you the next time you are in the area.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Suites Independence? Share your experiences!