“A Very Good Presidential Library” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 21 Attractions in Independence
Type: Libraries, History Museums, Specialty Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Exhibits and archives relating to Truman's life and administration.
Winter Haven, Florida
41 attraction reviews
“A Very Good Presidential Library”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

A well organized set of exhibits. Love that the working office was left as he had it so one gets a sense of his real style and work habits. The presentations flowed nicely. A good mix of information on President Truman and the times he lived in.

Chicago, Illinois
22 attraction reviews
“Exhibits are great --- and I learned a lot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I will admit that I didn't know much about Truman before my visit. However, after spending a few hours at the Library, I feel like I know a lot more about him, and history in general. The exhibits here are so well put together, that it's easy to linger and really get a lot of information in an interesting and engaging way. It was fascinating to learn not only about Truman, but about some of the events that happened during his administration. After visiting the Library, I wouldn't mind reading more about him now.

Really a great place to visit!

Rolesville, North Carolina
24 attraction reviews
“Well worth the visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We found ourselves in KC visiting family for a short visit and had some time to explore. Well everyone said we should visit Truman's Library so we did. Very interesting. Lots of history and well worth the visit. Learned a lot about one of the more humble presidents we were fortunate enough to have. Unfortunately we spent so much time here (you can and should do this) we weren't able to tour the home. We did manage to stop at the soda shop on our way out of town.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
27 attraction reviews
“Truman Library”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Excellent museum tracing the life and times of the Truman's life in Missouri and Washington DC. Only drawback is limited parking and a long walk to the Museum from the parking lot.

Visited June 2013
Kansas City, USA
13 attraction reviews
“Very interesting, I'm glad we went!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We have lived in the Kansas City area for 14 years and wish we had visited the library years ago! This is the first Presidential library we have visited and I was pleasantly surprised that it is so much more than a library! I would recommend that prior to touring the library and museum you view the film documentary -- it gives a great background to all the exhibits and I felt like I had a better feel for the exhibits and Harry Truman. The staff was very helpful and gave us very interesting tidbits about the library/museum and President Truman. I will definitely recommend this for visitors to our City.