“A Standard Hotel in Legian With Cheap Rate and Very Nice Beer” 3 of 5 stars

Sayang Maha Mertha
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl Melasti, Lebak bene, Legian, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Ranked #56 of 66 Hotels in Legian
Jakarta, Indonesia
“A Standard Hotel in Legian With Cheap Rate and Very Nice Beer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed here with my wife in mid December 2012. Since my flight was canceled so I have to find a hotel to stay waited for next day. It's impossible to back to Ubud (since my previous hotel was in Ubud).

The good point about this hotel are:
1. The staff is warm and helpfull.
2. The motorcycle rental is available and the price is reasonable (5 bucks for 24 hours).
3. The restaurant is nice with a yummy food.
4. The beer is cheap (1.5 bucs for anker).
5. Near the legian beach.
6. The bathroom is very clean and big size.
7. The bed is large!

The standard facilities that available are:
1. The pool is standard.
2. The billiard board is available but the some balls are missing. :(
3. The room is good.
4. The bed is good
5. The air conditioner is good

The bad side are:
1. The internet wifi is available but cannot reach my room. Damn!
2. There's no GSM mobile phone signal inside my room. Damn!
3. Television channel is very limited, just for indonesian or bahasa.

That's all about this hotel.
But overall, this hotel is nice.
:D

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

I am a back packer living on a budget. I spent 2 weeks in Bali with my friend from the 5th until 19th December 2012. The first 5 nights we stayed in this hotel. Then 2 nights in Seminyak but decided to return to the Sayang maha mertha hotel for the remainder because we enjoyed our stay. We booked into a non air conditioned room. Admittedly it was extremely hot and sticky at night time. The room is very basic with a ceiling fan. It overlooked the pool and we could connect to the free wifi on the balcony. The Pool and Pool area is small but adequate. Always a sun Lounger available. The location is fine, very close to night life and restaurants and all other amenities. Breakfast is included, fruit, toast, tea and coffee. Additional breakfast can be purchased at a small cost. We also enjoyed some evening meals, not the highest standard of food but cheap. We didn't have any problems or issues with the staff as others have suggested. Everyone was very friendly. In summary, this is a very basic hotel. There's nothing special about it but you can't expect anything special for the small price. It was perfect for us, cheap and cheerful. In my opinion, some people expect very high standard for a small price. If you go to this hotel with that attitude, you will be disappointed. If you want more, I'm sorry but you have to pay more.

• Stayed December 2012
Legian, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I am currently staying in this hotel. Only booked 2 nights because of some bad reviews, but i have since booked another 4 and am likely to stay here for my whole duration of 9 nights.
It is not 5 star but at 250,000 rupiah a night it is fantastic value. I have not had one bad experience with staff. I am staying in a renovated air conditioned room and asked for that on the booking. I suggest only booking one night and paying cash for the rest of duration as my online booking was equivalent to 280000 rupiah. I have spent a bit of time in the pool talking to other guests that are staying in non air conditioned rooms and air conditioned rooms and they cant believe that it got bad reviews
either. i did see a review from someone who had stayed here many times and their last visit was awful. I suggest there is a chance you may get a bad room, but I am confident that they would change the room instantly if there was a complaint.
If you want a big pool dont stay, if you need something with a new look, dont stay.
The food is an excellent price except for breakfast 35000 for 2 eggs, bit of bacon, a 1 inch sausage fruit juice and toast, you can get a super supreme pizza for the same price at the bar, there is a free continental breakfast with booking 2 toast small fruit salad and top your own tea or coffee up.I will be recommending this hotel to all my friends.

Room Tip: ask for renovated room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

The room was NASTY & TERRIBLE condition with gloomy & strong smell of mould...!! even worst BED BUGS living in bed!! OMG......i kinda ok with it and accept it without any complaint to the reception...thinking that "okay, i pay for cheap room, then what you expecting more"

things totally change with i got back from bali 2 day and ready to my next holiday destination...i found that the bud bugs had "MIGRATED“ in my cap!!! FREE RIDE BACK TO MY COUNTRY!!! not one or two bugs..ITS MORE THAN 5 BUGS LIVING INSIDE...EVEN WORST ITS LAYING EGGS .....OMG...its was NASTY, goose bump all way long & totally spoil my holiday mood...

although i pay for the cheap price, but hygiene issue was crucial...i rather sleep in airport rather share bed with ALL the bugs~~

Room Tip: Learn from this WORST experience, i rather pay for higher price to get CLEAN room instead of room wi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dubai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

on my first visit to Bali, my boyfriend and I happened to stay there for three weeks(certainly not by choice) because the booking was made in advance... on arrival we were met by unfriendly and unprofessional members of staff... little did i know that this would be the worse stay off my life.. the hotel room appeared to be quite old fashioned looking and even adopted the smell of mould..at night when we would go to sleep we would hear scratching in the ceiling i do believe it could of being rats!! the next few days turned into a nightmare the electricity tripped every 15 minutes and were lucky if it didnt, they left dirty towels with very unpleasant marks on them, did not attempt in the least to say to clean the bath tub nor the toilet. the worse thing that occurred on a daily basis was staff banging and yelling on the door for cleaning they were persistent and very annoying, not very familiar with customer service! upon ordering something to eat the waiter/waitress were extremely confused and constantly brought me wrong dishes, to my despair I noticed previous food stains on the plates and cutlery and refused to eat there on the rest off my stay... the place is very dirty, the service is poor and the staff is rude I wouldn't advise anyone to stay there at all and I certainly wont be returning again!! I found my stay to be so unpleasant that I felt the need to comment on trip advisor for the first time!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed for 3 weeks in this hotel....exept for location of hotel i cant say much more positive things that we experinece there....room not clean...they leave you dirty towels every morning....and staff is very rude and arogant...we had to deal with so called receptionst Nymoan who was very rude....i asked him for two tea spoons of sugar and i couldnt belive how he could react that much rude...he said "You paying for hotel not for sugar" in shouting tone....problem was not to pay for sugar but he even didnt have patient to listen to me....Defintly destroyed our Holiday in Bali...i must mention it that pool is extremly dirty and i havent see anyone cleaning it in 3 weeks that we stayed there....NEVER AGAIN COME BACK

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Essex, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Yes it was cheap / average price for a traveller but the rooms were like sitting in a prison cell. There was no air con, the windows and balcony doors did not close, the toilet light was dim, one small mirror and the bed looked as if things were crawling in it. The pool was probally the nicest bit of the hotel. The included breakfast was a slice of toast...YUM. I would recommend stay at bakung sari instead, for the same money much better value.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sayang Maha Mertha? Share your experiences!