“Severe slip in quality” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bali Niksoma Boutique Beach Resort

You added Bali Niksoma Boutique Beach Resort to your Saves list
Bali Niksoma Boutique Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Padma Utara Legian Kaja, Legian, Bali, Indonesia   |
Ranked #4 of 64 Hotels in Legian
Los Angeles, California
“Severe slip in quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

Bottom line: 'Boutique' means smaller, with bespoke service. Instead, they got bigger and both service and maintenance went down the drain. Book, overpay and stay there at your own risk.

Long story:
I've been staying at the Bali Niksoma since 1998, and have gone back several times, in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2006, 2008 and last month, March 2010. It used to be a nice, affordable, hotel then with a great location, and went through a complete rebuild in 2002/2003, rebranding itself as a boutique hotel. And for a certain time, it almost was. Though the new rates dictated by the new buildings, pool and villas seemed a bit overpriced for my tastes, I gladly went back several times, partly based on nostalgia, and partly because I knew some of the staff there as far back as 1998 and they as well as their new colleagues treated me (and my wife when she could join me in 2000 and 2008) with great warmth and care.

But the hotel is being left to rot away. Cement on walls are cracking, the paint is leaking, the bathrooms... well, don't look up when you shower. I called the manager in my room, showed her the damage due to no maintenance. I said I was disappointed; asked for an apology and a discount. Reluctantly, she apologized and begged me to not write a negative review. Offered another room, discount, etc. Out of nostalgia for memories past, I agreed. Then another incident, a very strange one that reeked, literally, of revenge. I complained again, she accused me of making it up to get more of a discount! I was flabbergasted.

In all my life of travel (I'm a million mile flyer on United, and close to that on two others), I've never seen such bad faith, poor customer treatment, and terrible value for my money. In fairness, the staff is generally sweet (pool staff excepted) and service quality is ok as long as you're all smiles, but as soon as you make a legitimate complaint about the unkept and unmaintained property (dirty AC, no internet in the rooms despite assurances to that effect, etc), you practically get insulted. Not in my book you don't, at U$290/night for a basic, standard room, you don't. Hence this review.

Room Tip: Spend your $$$$ elsewhere!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
perth, western australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

My wife and I went to Bali Niksoma at the reccomendation of our son and his wife. It lived up to all expectations. The staff are wonderful and more than helpful. The food was excellent (especially breakfast) and reasonably priced for a Bali hotel. After one night we asked if there was a chance of changing rooms because our Superior was slightly tired (only slightly) and had a poor outlook from the balcony. Before breakfast next morning we were moved to a perfect room with no fuss at all.
The hotel's situation is great for tourists and with 57 rooms, it is not too big. This is our first-ever public review of a hotel and we are delighted to do it.
Len and Norma, Perth WA.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

Just come back from my second trip to Bali Niksoma , and once again it was fabulous. Stayed 5 days and the staff were just as friendly and welcoming as before. Breakfast was delicious, with lots of variety. The only down side was the Junior Suite , which was a little worse for wear. The bathroom tiles were cracked and it had a stale smell which no amount of cleaning could remove. After spending the first 3 nights of our Bali holiday at the Conrad Bali in Nusa Dua, I was a little disappointed in the wear and tear of the Niksoma. But this does not mean I wouldn't return , because the staff and location make the place.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Napier, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

only we to this hotel for dinner and legong dance show, the service was top notch,terrific food and the Legong dance were spectacular, i loved every minute of it and will certainly go back

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

This hotel is great! Its a boutique hotel, big enough but not huge, with lovely garden walkways, fronting onto the beach with an easy walkway/lane to begin shopping or get massages or a taxi, it is clean, really well kept and a place I am really happy to write a good review for.

It is in a great location, Legian is my favourite place to stay when it comes to the beach areas of Bali with lots of shopping closeby, the only thing between the hotel and the beach is a wide footpath. It's 5 minutes into Kuta in one direction and 5 minutes to the fantastic Seminyak restaurants (both by taxi) in the other direction, and both are within walking distance along the beach if you like a stroll.

The breakfast is plentiful with lots to choose from, as well as a variety of tables to sit at, in the restaurant near the buffet, outside near the pool and in the open air restaurant overlooking the beach.

We stayed in a deluxe room and found it just lovely, clean lines, dark wood contrasting with the white walls and bedclothes on the comfortable king bed, a lovely sized balcony overlooking greenery and a walkway and we were really pleased with the placement and size of the flatscreen LCD tv and the fact there was a DVD stereo in the room so we could play some of our Bali copy DVD's and CD's at night. The airconditioning works really well and every day the room is tidied so well it feels like you have walked into it for the first time. As per any Bali hotel they offer lots of bottled water in the room.

There is free wifi by the pool, which has more than enough deckchairs and umbrellas for the size of the hotel, with a choice of being on the grass or the concrete by the pools, which is sort of a two story pool. There is an infinity pool on one level, and another pool below it, with a childrens wading pool next to that. You can laze at the edge of the infinity pool looking out at the beach, so relaxing!

After staying there I am really stunned at how cheap it was, we booked through Agoda.com with the advertised rate at only $105AUD +tax a night, this hotel well exceeded expectations with it being such a low rate. I do hope they keep their prices down though!! It is definitely worth what you pay for it.

Most of all I want people to know how amazingly happy and friendly the staff are. They are always ready to help, you only need to take one step hesitantly or look around and they appear with huge smiles to help. Every time they do something for you it is as if it is their pleasure and they do it so quickly. Sometimes service can be much of a muchness, or just what you expect as a customer or guest, but I just feel that the staff at the Niksoma were just so lovely, genuinely friendly and most of all happy, that it is what I will remember most about our stay at the Niksoma, the hotel was great but the staff made it exceptional and I know we will definitely stay there again because of it, and will encourage anyone who is heading to Bali, to stay there.

My only complaint would be that the bed, although huge, so crisp and the mattress comfortable, was made of timber and this timber was a little creaky and squeaky. Not a big deal really, but considering it sits on tiles, you can definitely hear it when someone in bed moves or gets up or back into bed etc. This is the only complaint I have and is barely worth mentioning, but if this was to be amended, I could not fault this hotel at all.

Read my reviews on closeby restaurants, what with great accommodation and some amazing restaurants, we had a fantastic holiday!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

If you are looking for a clean lovely hotel Niksoma is the place to stay. Its close to everything but not too close. The staff are all really wonderful and make a real effort to make your stay as good as possible. We stayed ain a deulux room and it was really modern and the bed was comfortable! The bathroom was cleaned to a very high standard.
The pool area is nice too. The breakfast buffet was really yummy with a mix of Western and Indonesian food, the omlets made to order had my usually nocturnal boyfriend up at 9am every morning!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

ATTENDED A GREAT BBQ / SHOW DINNER IN DIFFICULT CIRCUMSTANCES AS IT WAS POURING RAIN HOWEVER SHOW WENT ON. GOOD FOOD AND DRINKS ALTHOUGH EXPENSIVE FOR BALI PRICES.
A Young waiter dropped a whole tray of full drinks into my husbands lap where he ended up with shards of glass wet and sticky. These drinks were not for our table. Waiter apologized and proceeded to return to bar and organised another tray of drinks for next table.. THE MANAGER/SUPERVISOR WHO WAS SITTING ADJACENT TO OUR TABLE SAW THE WHOLE THING DID NOT OFFER ASSISTANCE, TOWEL TO HELP CLEAN UP OR ANYTHING. Upon getting the bill to leave i stated my concern as NO adjustment was made, nor offer of compensation as we had to return to our hotel to change and check for cuts. I stated this to the manager who looked horrified we expected anything at all and when I told her in Australia that the hotel would be upset for this she was aghast and said she would do nothing. we certainly expected more from a 5 start expensive hotel than the rudeness we were given.

• Stayed January 2011

Been to Bali Niksoma Boutique Beach Resort? Share your experiences!