“Scabies” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 66 Hotels in Legian
Perth, Australia
“Scabies”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I never have high expectations with cheaper hotels. I found the restaurant, breakfast, gardens, pool, bar just like most in Bali, pleasant with a good standard. Im not sure of the standard of cleaning though. I arrived at 10am only to be told my room was not ready until 2pm. I stayed 7 nights. There were lots of mosquitoes in the room and I remember thinking gee they are under the blanket now as I felt crawling on my feet and leg. 5 weeks after returning home to Aust I discovered I had scabies and 5 weeks is usually the incubation time for scabies. I went to Bali in Feb 2011 and even today I am fighting the remnants of scabies. It is a horrible horrible affliction. I will not be going back to Bali and will choose Thailand as my holiday next time.

Room Tip: Say you want clean sheets that are washed in hot water everyday
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

This hotel was ok. My room looked exactly how it was shown in the pictures on the Internet. We spend there 3 nights. TV has only Indonesian programmes. Cleaning was a bit of a problem. They tried to clean the room while we were sleeping in the morning. Three days in a row. And they didn’t come back later. I found breakfast to be quite complete, with toasts, omelette, fruits, and pancakes. The water wasn’t hot, only the first 2 minutes, and then, sooo cold. We didn’t get to spend so much time in the room, so it didn’t bother us that much.
I guess there are better options at the same price for accommodation in Kuta.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Riga, Riga, Latvia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

The hotel location is the only positive point it has. Room was dirty and noisy. Cigarette buts were left untouched by staff on balcony as well as empty plastic bottles under the bed. The faucet was broken. Staff friendliness was rather questionable.
Avoid if possible.

Room Tip: the best advice: choose room in another hotel
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

My husband and I are pretty tolerant when it comes to accommodation in Bali however this one is not worth the money.
After 3 weeks stay in Bali we needed accommodation for the last 3 nights, we paid USD50 per night and it was not worth AUD10..
The room was up a rickety wooden staircase, the room was only big enough for the bed you practically had to walk sideways to walk around the bed, the little old school TV was buzzing at the power point with electricity, the toilet was running 24/7 complained but nothing was done, the shower head only reached my bottom so I had to sit down to wash my hair, the bed didn't have a mattress protector so it was just sheet to mattress ewww... We were kept up all night with the nightclub behind the brick wall in front of our door, people singing karaoke one night it was awful... The wall between us and the next room was paper thin we could here the people in there having sex every night like as if they were in the room with us and I had a 7 and 4 year old in our room.. Really we are budget travelers and have been to Bali loads of times and are not fussy at all but for USD50 per night this is a huge rip off I've stayed in better for cheaper... Reception staff are rude and breakfast was not up to scratch... They cook in bulk and it just sits there until it's eaten with fly's all over it..
I'm actually holding back a bit.................. DON'T BOTHER

Room Tip: Wish I could say something possitive
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Katherine, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

I wasn't expecting a 4 star hotel for $22 per night. Shower was luke warm - cold every day bar one. But it's not exactly cold in Bali so I just turned off my air con 12 mins before I jumped in the shower. And it was this funny little hand showery thing but it didn't the trick.
Air con was great! Linen and towels were a bit stained. I bought another towel and used that. Closely located to everything.
Pool and pool bar were wicked. And better priced drinks than my friends expensive resort down the road. Bar staff were very informative and helpful. Front desk staff were lovely and it was no hassel for me to get to my safety deposit box every day. And they remembered my room number straight away so when I had bali belly and couldn't even think about climbing the front stairs they had no problems.
Breakfast was ok. Not the best breakky I've ever had. But again, $22 per night, I didn't complain about paying $5 down the road at a restaurant most days.
I stayed by myself (as I have done at many hotels) and had no worries about security or safety.
My toilet was running and wouldn't flush and it was fixed within 10 mins of me calling.

Not the nicest place I've stayed but it certainly didn't ruin my holiday and it was pretty good for how much I paid.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

My partner and I got quite a shock when we were shown to our room upon arrival. The grounds of the hotel look quite nice, but the rooms themselves are disgusting. Sheets are stained and yellow, we were given one towel between the two of us, and it, too, was stained. The bathroom was filthy and the toilet ran noisily and continuously. The doors would not shut completely and the music from the pool area could be heard very loudly in our room. The pool area looked nice, however.

The reception staff were not too friendly, but they do their job okay. They moved us to a different room when we requested it but the second room was as bad as the first. Eventually we decided not to bother staying for longer than a night, forfeited a cancellation fee and checked in at another hotel. This hotel is cheap relative to other places in the area, but the price cannot make up for the disgusting rooms.

Room Tip: Both rooms we saw were awful, and they were both the standard type.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Kenwood, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

This hotel offers good value for the price with several amenities, notwithstanding a few issues, namely with the bathrooms. Granted, it’s all in one’s perspective, and after traveling for more than a month in SE Asia, my husband and I were used to a wide range of accommodations, from homestays to mid-range hotels.
The amenities include a very nice pool, attractive grounds, and Balinese-style architecture with carved doors and traditional artwork. A hearty breakfast buffet is included, with juice, pancakes, fried eggs, toast, fried noodles, white rice, mixed vegetables, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, and fresh tropical fruit, including watermelon, pineapple, papaya and melon. Massage services are offered poolside, and there is an outdoor shower. The pool was well utilized and often was a very social place to hang out, and pool towels are provided. The bartender in the in-pool bar appeared to play a mean game of chess, amiably beating some of the guests. The property is one block over from the beach, but you have to walk two blocks parallel to the beach to get to a lane that goes through to the beach—it’s still pretty convenient.
Negatives include the well-chronicled issues with the bathrooms in previous reviews. Balinese-style rooms often mean that you get the traditional lack of concern with bathrooms. After staying in 3 rooms over 10 days I can report that the rooms vary quite a bit, so if you don’t like your room, see if you can change to another room and your problems might be solved. Room 122 (Standard) had a major problem with the sink, and I could hear the water dripping onto the floor when I turned the faucet on, followed by a minor flood on the floor. We stopped using the sink and used the tub only. The staff was unconcerned when I mentioned the problem, and told me to use the tub. Room 166 (Standard) was better, with a functioning sink, but the tub looked bad because they had tried to resurface the tub, but the paint or whatever material was used was peeling off in large places. Room 131 (Bungalow) was great, with everything working well, and was worth a few extra dollars.
There is no internet service, but there is an internet place down the block with 6 terminals and 3 phone booths, and reasonable rates. Free WiFi is offered at several nearby bars and restaurants. There is a flat screen TV at the poolside restaurant/bar with a complete range of satellite channels. It’s not often on but if there is a special game or program you can request it. The TV in the room only gets a couple of Indonesian language channels.
Live music is offered 3 or 4 times a week by the pool until 10 pm, and depending on your taste this could be a positive or negative. Legian, though slightly less crazy than Kuta, is still busy and you might hear some noise from nearby nightclubs, but things eventually settle down for the night.
Over the course of a week we saw lots of Aussie singles, couples and families enjoying the pool for days on end, and I never heard a single complaint, so the overall sentiment isn’t as negative as portrayed by many of the previous reviews.
Be aware that you can search the internet for special deals that can’t be offered by the reception desk. When we wanted to extend our stay the price almost doubled, but we were able to reserve online through Agoda and other sites over and over, bringing the printed voucher.
The bottom line is that in a place where prices have been increasing at an alarming rate, the Balisani Padma offers basic accommodations with some nice amenities at a reasonable price. The bungalows cost a bit more, but might be worth it if you’re a bit squeamish.

Room Tip: Book online for lower rates, and select a bungalow to get a nicer room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Balisani Padma Hotel? Share your experiences!