“another week in paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection

You added The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Raya Pantai Kuta, Banjar Legian Kelod, Legian, Bali 80361, Indonesia (Formerly The Stones Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
30% Hot Deal
Ranked #5 of 66 Hotels in Legian
Perth, Australia
“another week in paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Last review I commented on floor level safes. Nothing has changed & I cant believe folk are actually using them. I always use them but not here.
Also fridges that were not cold. Were advised to leave outer door open to circulate air. Its not a large hotel surely the outer doors could all be taken off and modified over a week.

This is still the best hotel...best staff...although pool staff could be a bit more attentive. 20minutes to get their attention to order lunch !!!!! These are all minor things. Front desk managed to get us the same room we had a year ago...great. Breakfast is very good with very good selection .

The beaches were unfortunately too dirty to even walk on. Not the hotels fault or anybody elses fault, but due to storms earlier in the week.
We will return to Stones when they fix up the safe situation.
On checking a few hotels I think Stones is a bit overpriced.
Do not stay in garden view. Whoever called this a garden view has obviously never stayed at The Weston in Nusa Dua.

Room Tip: any room level 5 or any other level 33-41 great pool views yet close enough to reception for older p...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
ChristyGD, Director of Room Operations at The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor.

With regards to the safety box placement in the wardrobe, we are unable to amend the placement as its based on the design setup of the wardrobe. We do apologise over this. We will review the service operation of the pool butlers and will ensure that the feedback is given to the team. We are currently working on the minibar doors and will have them replaced eventually.

The beach is on-going relationship that we have with the local community and will continue to work closely on the beach clean-up through our Marriott programme called "Spirit to Serve".

Thank you once again and really hoped to have you back with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

The outstanding performance of the 'talents' of this hotel starts at check in and never stops until after check out. Staff is referred to as 'talents' and it says all about the management of the hotel and over how staff is picking up on it.
I have not met service levels this high through all my travels; top class staff everywhere; front office; restaurant; swimming pool and spa. They all are friendly, professional and attentive to their customer needs.

The hotel design, as described many times here, is modern with some traditional Bali touches left and right. But it does not blend into the Bali landscape and it is not build to do so because Kuta/Legian is a bit of a different destination, very busy, in Bali compared to other locations. And that is a problem; the hotel lies a bit back from the beach road on front and you can reach the lobby through a short shopping street which is making a bit of a wrongly managed impression; empty shops, it is not lively and already deteriorating; also here is the tight security road block to protect the hotel.
But this simply does not make much of a pleasant impression; unlike the hotel which is inviting in every aspect. There is a huge disconnect front facade and shopping street compared to hotel; that would be a worry if I was the owner of the whole lot.

The hotel rooms are designed as such that they feel much roomier because of their unconventional design; I had a luxury pool view room and requested for a downgrade from a pool access room on ground floor because that does not offer a balcony. This was executed in a blink of the eye. But the pool view rooms are having a bathtub on their balcony and for me that is design over function and I would never use the bathtub or better to say I could not relax; not even with the windows closed. The rooms were good in every other possible way; not overly spacious but taking the bathtub out and having the entry in the bathroom area eliminating the need for a small hall is gaining a lot of space; but I had to get used to it.

Breakfast is buffet style with stations for eggs, juices and what have you. All very extensive and there is a choice for everyone's taste; Chinese, local and continental alike and then some.
Again, staff is excellent.
Lunch quality is good as well; I did go to Jalan Legian for dinner; that is a short 10 minute walk away from the hotel.

The beach upfront the hotel was a drama; I have not seen such a dirty beach loaded with garbage washed out from the sea. I really did not understand why people were in it; so incredibly dirty. I did do a couple of beach runs but it was smelly and dirty all together; they have a huge problem I'd think. It needs to be resolved because it will kill business.

Wrapping up; this hotel could not be anywhere because most of the staff is coming from the region and I cannot think this high level of service is easily repeated anywhere else. As far the hotel goes I can only say this is one of my top stays and I am doing way too many.
When using the hotel facilities for sunbathing and visitng Kuta for shopping and dining this is a very recommendable hotel; but when you love beaches and if they are not able to solve the issue earlier described this is not a good location and this hotel cannot help anything about it.

Room Tip: I have had both the pool access room and the pool view rooms and the latter has a balcony and has a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
ChristyGD, Director of Room Operations at The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Thank you very much for your Tripadvisor review.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Stones experience and our Talents were very much part of that experience.

With regards to Kuta beach, we work very closely with the local authorities to help with the beach clean up. As this is part of the wet season, the rubbish wash up is sadly very common every year. We will continue to do our part to assist the local tourism in our programme called "Spirit to Serve".

Thank you once again for your review.
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. I purposely chose this hotel because of it being new and looks like a modern boutique hotel from Marriott.
Location: It is actually about 1 block away from Legian, the beach opposite the hotel is actually Kuta beach. About 10 mins walking around the corner towards shops and about 10 mins in the opposite direction to the newest shopping mall along the beachfront.
Check-in: Waited sometime before I could be checked in with only 2 staff working on the small family/tour group ahead of me. While waiting was served with the infamous welcome popsicle and what they claim the 'magic' environmental friendly cold towel. After about a 20 min wait, I was only helped. Lobby area is an open air area with modern touches and lots of wood blocks functioning as chairs and tables.
Room: Was upgraded to a pool facing room. Bright and modern room. Was big enough for me. Only gripe was the luggage rack, which is hidden within the closet, but too bad it was not really made for larger luggage as this means that you can't close the closet which means the closet light stays on. If you are with more than 1 luggage, you will have be inventive to find the most optimal way to place your luggage. Bed was comfortable. There was a sort of laydown sofa in the balcony. Toilet and shower area is separated by glass doors.
Breakfast: Breakfast spread was good, a mix of western and asian dishes, however some of the not so popular dishes will clearly be obvious, looks overcook or dried. Best part of the breakfast and my first, you get to enjoy ice cream part of it. There is a juice bar available, however the fruit variety was a bit limited, did not see much local fruits, and was surprised that some the tropical fruits was not as 'tasty' as you would expect - pineapples did not taste like pineapple but more of something that was grown in a greenhouse.
Staff: All very friendly and greets you when meeting you and wishing you good day.

Cons: One of the big letdown of this property at least during my stay and especially when I expect this to be a luxurious hotel, was the service. Faced a few issues which I reported, but sadly no resolution was offered, but just a smile and shrug with an apology. Maybe me, but my expectations especially for a 4/5 star hotel in Asia for the service to be up to the notch, in my opinion, there are lots of small things that are missing. E.g. leaving an extra set of amenities, e.g. shower gel, etc, emptying the garbage bin, turndown service, etc.
To me, these things lead me only give this place an average. The hard product is very good, but sadly the soft product still needs some polishing especially if it wants to be a seen as a luxurious hotel, ala W hotels standard.

ps: for those looking for an area overwhelmed with tourist, Nusa Dua or Jimbaran area might be better. Kuta area is just flooded with tourists and I heard that in the weekends traffic is grid lock.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
ChristyGD, Director of Room Operations at The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Thank you very much for your review.

We do apologise over the delay in checking you in and would certainly look into improving the time required for all guests arriving into the hotel. We acknowledge the limitation of the luggage space provided in the wardrobe and are currently in the midst of purchasing mobile luggage rack for guests with larger luggages. Thank you very much for this kind insight.

We will look into the feedback on the fruits selection as this is based on seasonal availability of fruits in Bali. With regards to the feedback on the hotel service, we will keep working on the soft product of the hotel as you've highlighted. These are good insights and we do appreciate the feedback given.

Thank you once again for your review on Tripdvisor
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Contrary to some other reviews, we actually had a wonderful experience at The Stones hotel! First, we arranged hotel pickup, and the driver was polite, and even explained the city to us as we drove to the hotel. Upon arrival, the helpful reception staff helped us to confirm our cruise for the next day, and after finding out we were there for an anniversary, we were surprised in the room with a cake, and rose petals. Breakfast is delicious, and there are many choices for pretty much everyone. We stayed in a pool view room, which has awesome views of the pool. I lost a pair of nice sunglasses, and the hotel staff were able to find them and return them to me very quickly.

The hotel is in a good location right across from the beach, and not far from shopping. We were a little disturbed by some obnoxious guests / neighbors, but that was no fault of the hotel's, and did not dampen our stay. If I come back I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
ChristyGD, Director of Room Operations at The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank you very much for your review.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the Stones Experience and highlighted the key touch points that covered the course of your stay from the arrival airport pickup to the breakfast offerings.

We are sad to hear on the negative experience you had to endure with regards to the other guests or neighbours. We certainly do hoped that for your next stay with us, we would appreciate if you could kindly inform us so that we can deal with the issue immediately.

We certainly look forward to having you back with us again soon and thank you once again for the review.
singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

A beautiful hotel with wonderful staff, a group of 3 arrived with a cake for my birthday ! Was escorted to my room facing the pool with a cutesy bath tub staring at me, Totally makes my first day here magical...though the room wifi not working but receptionist Reevo managed to solve it, short walk to the Beach Walk for lunch & had the freshest garume fish grilled before my eyes at the food court, can't wait for the next few days...if you come to Bali this hotel is a must try, perfect 9.9, opt for the We stay package with airport transfers, US $50 credit daily & breakfast worth it

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
ChristyGD, Hotel Director at The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Thank you so much for your review on Tripadvisor.

I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Stones Experience with us and I greatly appreciate the kind review on Tripadvisor. I will definitely share your kind words on Reevo who is one of our stars that keeps on delighting our guests.

Birthdays are always special and we are very blessed that you chose to do so with us. Once again, a very happy birthday to you and here is wishing you a blessed 2014.

Thank you once again for your kind review.
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

The minute you drive up to the hotel, you know their number one priority are the guests. The security searched our taxi and the cute lab sniffed around the car. Once you get to the lobby area, you are greeted with cold towels and popsicles. The metal detector is a little awkward at first but you realize that they are doing it to protect the guests.
Check-in was a breeze and they personally escort you up to your room and show you around. Initially my husband had booked a regular room but they were able to upgrade us to a poolside room within minutes and have our luggage transferred.
Laying by the pool, the staff walks around offering cold towels, cold misting, fresh fruit, etc. The pool is huge and there are plenty of spots around the pool so you can find your perfect spot. The cabanas are first come (I believe) and you only have spend $25 on food and drink for the whole day.
Breakfast: mind blown! They had everything you could possibly want no matter where you are from or how picky you are.
Being one of the newest hotels and a Marriott hotel, I would say it is by far the nicest and most luxurious in the area. I can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Poolside rooms have a balcony with a couch and jacuzzi tub.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Warrnambool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Although still new and a bit quiet when we stayed, just amazing! Very friendly staff, really appreciated the guided tour on arrival. Brilliant food (ate at the poolside restaurant 4 times). The sign at breakfast read "who says you can't eat icecream for breakfast" I was a bit surprised but gave in! This was just a small part of the simply amazing breakfast offered. Have stayed in Marriott hotels several times in many locations and they just seem to get it right everywhere! Well done - highly recommend it!

Room Tip: stayed on the ground floor room with plunge pool
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!