“PERFECT LOCATION FOR WEDDING” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa

You added Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Padma No. 2, Kuta (Legian Beach), Legian, Bali 80362, Indonesia   |
Special Price
Easter Escapade 25% Off
Ranked #8 of 67 Hotels in Legian
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Perth Australia
“PERFECT LOCATION FOR WEDDING”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

I held my wedding at the Mandira in August, on the recommendation of my wedding planner. It was just beautiful.
We stayed in the courtyard room. It was very nice, had a large courtyard with a huge bath and shower. (also an inside bathroom with shower). There is a table and 1 chair in the courtyard. Didn't use it. Be ok if your a smoker.
There was a step up to the bed. Didn't really like that,and the bed was a bit hard.
Our friends stayed in a family room. That was upstairs and was clean and comfortable. The room was quite large. The only thing they didn't like about it, was it didn't have a balcony.
My brother stayed in a deluxe room. That was very nice, with a DVD player and an outdoor bathroom.
I will definately stay in the deluxe in future.
I have been to Bali over 30 times and usually stay in Tuban or Kuta.
I definately like Legian better. Think there are more restaurants and shops.
I love it that the Mandira is opposite the beach. The hotel grounds are lovely.
The bar overlooking the ocean is great. Have happy hour every day. I think beer and cocktails - buy 2 get 1 free.
Its not cheap to eat and drink at the hotel. For Bali, its dear. But compared to Australia, its cheap. I like the fact that the taxes are included in the prices and not extra.
The food is very nice. The gado gado is the best I have eaten in Bali and the pizzas are really good.
If you walk from the path alongside the Parasol directly to the beach - there is a guy named Chilli that sells drinks out of his esky. He is so friendly (aren't they all). He will get you a chair and ask what drink you want. You can't beat - having a beer with family or friends and watching the most beautiful sunsets ever. He gets really busy at sunset times, but he will always find you a chair. I think the beers are 12 000 rp. You just [pay when you leave. I really enjoyed having a beer watching the sunsets. Recommend it.
Breakfast at the Parasol was great. The food was delicious. A different variety of food everyday. I'm vegetarian and there was always a range of food for me.
To have breakfast at the Parasol, you have to be staying in a deluxe room or better. You also get free internet, coffee and cakes , and cocktails in between certain hours.
I had my wedding at the grassed area near the Parasol restaurant.
The Legian festival was on from 7 th August (day of my wedding) and I was horrified that there would be stalls set up along the path between the hotel and the beach.
It was going to block the view of the ocean. The Manager of the Mandira did all he could to stop them putting a stall in front of where my wedding was being held. After lots of phonecalls and meeting in person with the organisers, they left a gap where the wedding was. I can't thank him enough. It was a big relief. (The festival is the same time every year)

The set up, decorations and flowers for the wedding were just beautiful. .....It bought tears to my eyes. It was just breathtaking.
The price was very reasonable, and you can't get the same atmosphere in Australia.
Yuni is the wedding co-ordinator at the Mandira. She is wonderful. Nothing was too much trouble .Very friendly and helpful. She always answered my e-mails promptly and arranged any extra things I wanted. I also had a wedding planner Jo, from Bali Mystical Weddings. She was fabulous. They both made my wedding so easy to plan and not too stressful.
A lot of my friends said it was the nicest wedding they have been to.The reception was held at the Parasol. We had an Indonesian Buffet. The food was delicious. So much of it.
The staff were fantastic. Especially Pastika. They were all so friendly and helpful. They couldn't do enough for you. A credit to the Mandira.
If you are thinking of getting married at the Mandira - do it.
It was everything we hoped for and more. Just beautiful.
We really were married in Paradise.
My husband I and just love the Mandira.
Have already booked to go back there.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
Bermuda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

We stayed at the Bali Mandira for 8 nights in September. The location of this hotel was perfect; walking distance to Kuta and Seminyak; great for dinners and bars.

The actual hotel itself I didn't think it was worth what you paid. We had booked a superior cottage (king) - we arrive to find Rm 608 with twin beds, mouldy shower, crocked picture and a broken cabinet, the room was no bigger than a airport hotel room, with a balcony. We requested a room change and spent the next hour being shown other room types.. we ended up in a premier suite in the tower 9309. The tower is probably the most noisest place I have ever stayed. Kids screaming down the hall ways and the room stewards knocking on your door at 8.00am to clean your room - whether you had do not disturb or not.

If I had to stay here again I would chose the pool villa seems like there is privacy and peaceful.

I had 2 massages and they we great, the spa was everything I had hoped ! The breakfast in the morning was good - not great, but fine.

The pool and pool chairs situation is totally out of control... unless you were up at 6am - forget it ! The pool was dirty - one day I saw a poo in the pool, real classy when they didn't clean it !

The lounge area was great and we did spend many evening having a drink and enjoying a pizza while watching the sunset, great spot to meet people.

My sister had recommened the Sofitel in Seminyak which is where she stays always and loves it, unfortunately it was full - but it does look to be a better hotel and more our style!

I would not stay here again, and would only recommend this hotel if you are only looking for location !

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

After I had booked to stay here the negative reviews started flowing in so I was very unsure of what to expect but as soon as we arrived all those feelings were squashed!
We arrived around 0900 in the morning and knew check in wasn't until 2pm so was hoping we could just store our bags and go exploring, but after apologizing that our room wasn't quite ready we were given welcome drink vouchers and told we could use them at the bar and they would come and get us within the hour when it was ready. We decided though to have breakfast in the restaurant and when finished wandered back to reception where we were promptly taken to our room again after apologising it wasn't ready earlier.
Wow! We had booked a deluxe room and were blown away by the initial courtyard with the bath made out of carved stone, then through to our large room with huge bed and finally the oudoor shower which was fantastic! We had room 203 which was up the beach end of the resort and very close to everything but so quiet we didn't hear anything other than the birds and insects, it was fantastic! Importantly the air conditioning worked perfecly, in fact it was to cold so we had to turn it up!...
We ate at all the restaurants and the meal we had at the Parasol was the best of our trip by far (though to be fair we were only in Bali for 4 days so didn't get to sample a huge range). Although dear by Bali standards we found it cheap compared to home in Australia. Our meal cost us 420,000 Rup for 2 mains, 2 deserts, a couple large Bintangs and a cocktail.
We used the spa which was blissful but once again expensive to Bali standards. My hubby likes a strong massage so found it a bit lacking but I was in heaven! That cost us around 1,200,000 for a 3 hour package with body scrub, wrap, massage and facial.
The benefits that went along with the delux room were a huge bonus and loved them all. We had access to the Celati Lounge where we got free internet access, soft drinks all day, afternoon tea and happy hour every night. We also got to have breakfast at the Parasol restaurant every morning over looking the beach.
The grounds of the Mandira are spotless and beautiful and looked after by the countless number of staff all of who would always say hello to you.
The staff here are wonderful and cannot do enough for you and treat you like a long lost friend and are definately one of the resorts biggest assets...
When we had to leave our flight did not leave until midnight and checkout is 1200. We requested a late checkout and were given the option to pay $180USD to extend until 4pm or have until 2pm for free, so naturally we took the second option as the first option was more than we paid for the room and for 2 extra hours! We though were able to leave our bags there and went out for the rest of the day although we were told we could still use all the resort facilities. When we returned that night they gave us towels and soap and were able to use a shower which was appreciated.
If you want a holiday where you want to be spoiled and not leave the hotel then this place is perfect but at the same time close to everything else if you can drag yourself away.
So in short will we be back? Definately, as long as the prices do not continue to rise and we are priced out of this wonderful resort....Thankyou Mandira.....

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

Basically the pro of this hotel is the location/grounds. The pool is pretty nice and there are plenty of chairs to lounge on/watch the ocena/beach/people passing by. You can also order drinks/lunch at the pool which were pretty good. You are right on the sand and within easy walking distances to lots of shops, restaurants, etc.

The con is basically that the rooms are kinda gross and had me wondering if I was going to bring home bed bugs after staying here. The sheets were grey (like that grey you get after washing your linents too many times) which was not at all appealing and I was kicking myself for not bringing one of those sleeping bag sheets. Also, all the furniture in the rooms is visible ancient which adds to the overall dirty feel of the room.

The bathroom was tiny and the bathtub was clogged. They did come and fix it within an hour of us calling about it but I think this kind of thing should be checked and taken care of before guests check in.

When they say check in is at 2 pm, they mean it. We got there at noon and had to wait til 2:40 to check in--we did get a free dinner voucher for that but the dinner food here is less than stellar. The buffet breakfast (included) is great though, lots of variety --fruit, pancakes, omelettes, bacon, cheese, pastries, etc.

Spa--got the hour long "spa pedicure" here. Wasn't really an hour (more like 45 minutes) and was just the kind of basic pedicure you get back in the States although done a lot slower. On another day, my friend got an hour long massage which was also not really an hour--45 minutes tops.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Perth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

We have just arrived back in perth from Bali an hour ago and i had to write a review about this hotel. I cannot believe the other comments about this hotel - we must have stayed at the evil twin Mandira hotel! The rooms are very run down and old in the superior tower. the bathroom so tiny you would bang your head on the door to sit on the toilet. the tiny double beds so hard the springs poke you in the back. the in room television only has about 5 stations that get reception. the reception area is a joke - we arrived and there were 50 people standing there and we were greeted by a not so friendly receptionist - i think we unfortunately were checkin in at a time when 50 aussie yobbos were checking out so we were stereotyped. Our room wasnt ready until 630pm even though several other people were put into the same room types as ours before us and we arrived at 10am!! Very, very run down hotel and after staying a week at the Sofitel Seminyak we were very disappointed as the pictures on the website do not fit the real picture. The pools were tiny - we ended up sneaking into the Padma next door to use their pool which was amazing. We were unable to eat at their restaurant for 3 nights in a row due to previously booked weddings however there were no signs up to advise and no one told us when we made a booking to eat there in the morning until we arrived and saw the wedding happening. However, there were some good points about this hotel - the breakfasts were fantastic, the facial at the spa was awesome and the squirrels kept the kids amused for hours.

Definitely look at other options than this hotel as the price and star rating is certainly not correct. We will never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Perth WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

We travelled to Bali as 2 adults and a 9 month old baby. We arrived and were shown to our superior room which had two double beds in a large room. We asked for a cot which was no trouble at all. We were in the main wing but ask for the newer section. Our friends also with two young kids had a room which was slightly more modern and the entrance was nicer. All rooms are nice though. The buffet breaky was great and the staff are so friendly. Great baby sitting service within the hotel at 3 dollars U.S. an hour. You can walk along the front of all the hotels and the Mandira easily has the best views of the ocean and the most appealing pool and grassed area . just out of the hotel near the stairs you will find a top local called "Chilly" who runs a little Beer Hut. Cheap beer and a great spot to watch the sunset. The pool area is amazing and the top pool was great. We found alot of people would place their towels on the chairs to reserve them. This is a no no and it is easy to remove their towel and place yours on the chairs and gazebo's. This is hotel policy so take advantage of it. I strongly recommend this hotel for families and people over 25 years as there was not alot of young people as they are all in Kuta.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

I have read a few of the negative reveiws on the Mandira Resort! All that I can wonder is whether 'they' were supremely fussy and hard to please, or whether 'we' were staying somewhere else other than the Mandira.

We (four of us, inlaws and outlaws) have just returned home to Melbourne after spending 12 Fantastic days at the Mandira. Previously, my wife and I stayed at the excellent, and enqually wonderful Ramada Bintang at Tuban (same distance south of Kuta as the Mandira is north) on the past five trips to Bali.

We have always loved the Ramada Bintang, and didn't know execatly what to expect with the Mandira. I was led to believe that the Mandira was older (as in 'Old'), but from reviews on Tripadvisor, and the Mandira web site, I was hopefull that it would be at least equal to the Ramada!

Well, in some respects, it even surpassed the great Ramada. First impressions when we first arrived at the doorstep of Mandira was how small the entrance, foyer and reception were as compared to the vast Ramada (although gardens were lovely and everything well presented). Then again, Mandira is only about a third of the size, accommodation wise to the Ramada.

When we first arrived, a young girl who happened to be on the same flight over with us was at reception complaining about all and sundry and was trying to earn herself an 'upgrade' or at least another room. We immediately thought , what have we let ourselves in for??

We were taken to our two rooms (one of the first floor, and the other on the second) in the 'newer' Tower block on the far eastern side of the property, furtherest away from the beach. First up, what very pleasant surprise. The ground floor foyer of the block looked modern and classy, more like a quality motel or new villa.

And then the room. A very happy re-assurance. Not massively big, but more than adequate with a very nice private balcony. The room was relatively basic (bearing in mind we had the 'basic' Superior rooms only), moderately decorated in the balanese style, but extremely clean with modern shiney floor tiles, white, bright and with an 'airey' feeling. Bathroom was also modern, clean and exceptional. Our rooms actually, were superior to those we previously enjoyed at the Ramada.

The air conditioner (which stayed on for the entire duration, set at 21 Cel. was whisper quiet, and the beds, by the way, were just perfect for us 'old folk'. The room was Excellent.

I half expected an old, a little bit 'tired and weathered' resort! How wrong was I!! The gardens and surrounds; and the lawns between the main pool and the beach causeway are absolutely Superb!!! All of them, including the buildings appear to be maticulously well maintained. One could never complain about cleanliness or presentation of the entire resort.

The gardens, set amongst single and double storey villas are gorgeous, not to mention the cleanest and most 'crystal clear' fountains and fishponds I have ever seen anywhere! And the multitude of lively little squirrels are everywhere, and totally delightful to watch. Many of them are so tame (unafraid) that they can be hand fed with 'crackers', fruits or nuts.

There are two swimming pools. The main pool is not 'massive' as in comparison to the huge one at the Ramada Bintang, but than again, the Mandira is a much smaller resort; and although apparently fully booked, the pool was never, ever crowded. How much room do you need to swim around a little and to cool down??

Then there is the rooftop 'horizon pool' which is slightly smaller, but with a nice view of the grounds and the beach, and a nice circular spa pool. Actually, we never had cause to use it, we were all so comfortable using the main pool down below. There aren't actually any sun umbrellas (apart from three or four of those permantly erected Balanese type shade things, whatever you call them), but there is Plenty of shade if required amongst the dozens of beautiful palm trees dotted throughout the lovely lawns.

You are not supposed to be allowed to 'reserve' sun lounges without actually using them soon afterwards, but in fact, we know that never happens. In order to get a lounge, and there are plenty of them spread about, you may need to 'reserve' a couple between 8 and 9.30 a.m. to be safe. Unfortunately (as is the case almost everywhere) some rude individuals reserve lounges first thing in the early morning, and may not appear on them until the afternoon, or even sometimes not at all. Best bet is, get in early and use them!

Breakfast?? Well we reckon breakfast was just fine (all included of course). A few people have criticised the Breakfast at Mandira!!! Well, how much do they want, and how much do they need in a single meal? Do they want to 'guts' themselves and 'pig out' on one meal a day? If about 30 or more selections of various juices, serials, muslies, eggs, sausages, bacon, noodles, fruits, pastries, condiments, toasts etc. etc. etc. is not enough, what is?? By the way, eggs anyway you want tham and omlettes anyway you want them are briliant, and the bananna pancakes with maple syrup are to die for. We say, breakfast is extremely good value.

The only thing is the coffee! Much like the American hard, heavy taste, if you like that at all. Also coffee service at the table is not great at all (unlike the Ramada, who are always ultra attentive). You generally have to seek someone down, and attempt to beckon them to even get a coffee, or a re-fill. But that is not being too derogatory at all.

Service at breakfast was not brilliant (but not too bad to worry about), and neither was it beside the pool. Unlike the Ramada Bintang, there was never, ever, any staff coming around to your pool side lounges asking if there was anything they could get you. If you wanted anything, you always had to walk up to the pool bar, and regularly the service there was also a bit slow and inattentive. Not at all what I was used to at the Ramada, but then again, maybe I was too well known there, and tipped them all too often and too much. lol lol.

To my mind the breakfast and poolside service never came close to the Ramada Bintang, but I bet there are many others who would say that there were no problems with the service at Mandira. Conversely, the room cleaner (who we did tip daily - at the end of the bed) was especially good. Our room was always fresh and extremely clean.

All in all, the Mandira was a huge surprise and delight. Glorious actually (at least for our rooms and all round experiences). We very highly recommend it, and if money enables, we will definately be back at Mandira again next year. The place was Excellent.

No decent average person looking for a Special time should ever be disappointed with the Marvelous Mandira. Just Glorious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Location? Five out of Five. Perfectly located between Kuta proper and Seminyak. All the shopping, markets, wining, dining and bars within a close two square blocks. Excellent. Fun, fun, fun!

By the way. A huge Extra plus to every day you stay at the Mandira, is spending late afternoons down on the beach with the beautiful man 'Chilly' at Billy's Bar (which is a couple of old sun umbrellas, two big Eskies full of ice; ice cold Bintang beers and soft drinks, and plenty of plastic chairs and friends to chat, discuss and laugh with.

"Chilly' is a Gem, so too is the lovely gentleman 'John' (for all your watch and sunglasses needs). Then there is Mary-Anne, Mary and Dadong. the lovely ladies who will service you with massages, manicures, pedicures, foot scrubs and nail painting.
NONE of the Girls or Guys are too 'pushy' or overbearing (unlike the 30 of them at the Ramada) and they will sit near, or even with you and just chat, without forcing you into anything you don't want to do! They will always wait until you are ready for their services.

Just remeber, if any of these beautiful people give you a really good service (as they do), please think about giving then a Fanta, Coke or Bintang (or even a small extra tip). They truely appreciate it. And the cost to you, at 'Billy's Bar' is so damn cheap!

When sharing a drink with our 'native friends' near Sunset on the beach, they often say
"Cheers Big Ears". We always reply, "Same Goes, Big Nose." We all laugh and smile together.

For an hour on the beach at 'Billy's Bar' before, and waiting for the sun to set over the sea is absoutely wonderful. For the hour after sunset, the twilight, is even better. Totally, esquisitely brilliant. Complete highlights, and so much fun (on many, many evenings) to our amazing stay at Mandira Resort.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!