“Enjoyable stay in a very impressive hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Villa Mathis

Save Saved
You added La Villa Mathis to your Saves list
La Villa Mathis
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   81 Jalan Bumbak | Banjar Anyar, Kerobokan, Bali, Indonesia (Formerly La Villa Mathis "Relais & Chateaux")   |
Ranked #3 of 20 hotels in Kerobokan
Melbourne, Australia
“Enjoyable stay in a very impressive hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I recently had the pleasure of staying at Villa Mathis. The villas are simply amazing. The rooms are large, well laid out and beautifully furnished. When I arrived the bath had been filled with water and frangipani flowers – a very welcoming sight. The grounds surrounding the villas are well looked after and at night time the trees are full of lit lanterns – giving the villas a romantic and relaxing atmosphere. There are a number of swimming pools to visit and there are always plenty of fresh towels available and lounge chairs to recline in. The staff are friendly and attentive and will do their best to ensure you are happy and enjoying your stay. I would definitely recommend staying at Villa Mathis – it is a very impressive hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

334 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This was my 12th trip to Bali and I have never experienced a hotel like La Villa Mathis.
I wanted to get away from the hussle & bussle of Bali and relax for 7/8 days, so I chose this hotel in the rice paddies. I was not disappointed. What made our trip were the staff at the hotel - from the gardeners to the waiters. Everyone was so lovely.
The hotel was AMAZING and the concept of swimming, dining & relaxing in any one of the villas, although foreign at first, was soon second nature and provided more than enough options to keep any guest satisfied.
I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to all my family and friends.

Room Tip: Not all hotel rooms have twin bed option - so make sure you book early and specify tha tyou wish for...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed 7 nights at La Villa Mathis in October 2012 on a Scoopon voucher I purchased back in February 2012 and had the greatest vacation we could have hoped for.
We were also not treated any differently for using a voucher.

Our room/villa was called Timor, which was situated at Les Jardin D'Hiver. We didn't really explore the other villas so we can't really compare, but we both thought our villa was the best. The only complaint was from my partner that there was no TV. But it's understandable, it's a villa, a place of relaxation. (We are not the type that likes to relax and laze about doing nothing, we get bored easily, but we still thoroughly enjoyed this place and it's serenity.)

People have complained about the outdoorsy bath area and its lack of privacy, so that was a concern of ours before arriving, but seriously, the walls are high enough,and there are banana trees and bamboos that grow high enough to shade the top which creates the most natural & peaceful atmosphere. As weird and funny as this may sound, during our stay there we have both actually said to one another, "Sitting on the loo was so peaceful! I have never enjoyed sitting on the toilet until now."

On our first night, we found our bath tub already filled up and sprinkled with red petals, which was a lovely touch,

Service was excellent. Yes, there are no phones in the rooms, but we had a butler who basically lives outside our room and is readily available to serve us upon request at any given time.

There is room service twice a day.

They provide free shuttle/taxi services from the villa to Seminyak daily until 6pm.(10-15 minute drive with traffic)

There is free wifi, although, it's very patchy.

Breakfast is free daily. You get a choice of an American Breakfast or an Indonesian Breakfast.
Our favourite dish on their menu was their Penne Carbonara. We found their prices very reasonable.

Dining by the pool in their lovely gardens was very romantic and enjoyable and we looked forward to it every morning and night.

Our butlers were very humble and we were treated like royals. Staffs at front desk were also very lovely.

Check-out is at midday at La Villa Mathis, but our flight was at 10pm. We were told we could leave our luggage at reception and still hang around and use any of their facilities, just not the room because it needed to be made up. We were already grateful for that, but just before midday came, as we were about to vacate our room, a lovely gentlemen from reception came down and told us not to worry about checking out, and that we could stay in the room until 6pm! A very late check-out!

We are so impressed with your hospitality and putting our comfort & needs first.

Thank you so much for the lovely experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

After spending a month in Bali, I can safely say that the level of service on all level is way above and beyond that of Paris, where I happen to live, so finding a place with guaranteed great service is lovely, so the great service at Villa Mathis (where I spent a couple days) was not uncommon for Bali. The setting could have been amazing but something was a bit off for me personally. The main issue that I had was the decoration of the main dining area that was decorated with heavy black lacquered furniture in a beautiful tropical setting. This was in very poor taste. The rest of the decoration throughout the property was faltering between okay to sometimes downright horrible. Why would one put cheap nylon (artificial) material around the bed, when Bali is full of amazing cotton and silks? Apart from this everything else was okay and the service was wonderful.

Room Tip: Our room was one of the last one and this could be a disadvantage at night as the property is not ve...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ville-Pommeroeul, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We have enjoyed 7 stays at La Villa Mathis from a love at first sight which grew in depth at every subsequent visit.
You will immediately notice the relaxing and luxurious atmosphere where you are litterally invited to try all the little corners, take a rest at different hides, share a conversation with other guests, and compare the different atmospheres proposed by the three villas or the spa area, with their respective swimming pools.
I have devloped a passion in recording the natural ambiance at sunrise when the various bird species peak in their morning songs, e ach in turn. Headphones at home and I am instantly back in the lush natural island of Villa-Mathis. A real treat.
Then you notice the warmth and attention of the Villa owners, Lilka and Bruno, who have invested so much of thenselves to make your stay unforgettable. Do not hesitate to ask their support in anything, including how to organise shipping furniture or other voluminous items back home. They organise wonderful excursions, including a discovery of Java.
As we became friends, they make us discover their perspective of Bali, their secret places and their vision for the future. They have become an unmissable stepstone of our big yearly holiday. I'll probably never be bored of Bali, thanks to them, their children, and the little paradise they have created around them.
The picture shows a small bit of the floral decoration for our wedding anniversary.

Room Tip: My favourite villa is the one in the rice fields. I generally find the rooms upstairs more interesti...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Melbourme
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

La Villa Mathis does an exceptional job of creating their own little world away from the hectic Bali outside. Beautifully designed rooms incorporating true Bali style provide an exciting and romantic environment. The resort layout is simultaneously spacious and private as well as being very picturesque. I stayed at Villa Rizieres which has a view over the pool, through the garden to tiered rice paddies rising to the horizon. Very special. No TV's in the rooms is a great touch for maintaining the ambience and seclusion, so with the soft French jazz playing and the stylish flags everywhere, I often felt like I was in an old French Indochinese movie....
My criticisms were minor, the spa was nice but lacked privacy and the shower in the spa area was a challenge to say the least. I was also a bit dissapointed in the breakfast.
Overall though the whole place is quite unique and with the welcoming hospitality of the manager and the owner, it's makes for a very special place. I was only there for 30 hours but it felt like three days. I'll be back again someday...

Room Tip: Check the bedroom setup. My room was traditional Bali style which is a bed on an elevated floor. Thi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Very relaxing stay at La Villa Mathis. Staff are friendly and nice. The decorations in the room and the layout are very special. I was a bit concerned about the outdoor bathroom, not usual thing for me. But it is a special experience!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to La Villa Mathis? Share your experiences!